Favorite tv shows of 2009

Darthkush

Avenger
Reaction score
I watched a LOT of tv this year and since it's the end of the year, I'm taking a look back at what I liked, loved, disliked etc. Feel free to list yours as well.
My list will consist of 30 shows. I'll start with the runner ups(in no order):

Runnerups:
Modern Family- an entertaining lighthearted sitcom about some non-traditional(but all connected) family units. It wasn't amazing but it's funny and breezy and kills 30 minutes.

The Cleveland Show-nowhere near as good as American Dad or even the rapidly declining Family Guy but worht mentioning for their wonderfully ridiculous Thanksgiving episode which pokes fun of the Madea movies. Hopefully the show improves.

Glenn Martin, D.D.S.- a clay puppet looking show on Nicktoons about a traveling dentist and his family, it's got some inspired voicework and some funny little episodes.

V: decent first episode but I found the second to be a snore. Still have the third and fourth on my dvr.

P.Diddy's Starmaker: An Diddy/MTV production that had several singers competing to be the next artist on Bad Boy. It was pretty dramatic and had a lot of exciting moments. The harshness of the judges brought entertainment value too.

Megan wants a millionaire-lame reality show that was canned early due to contestant killing his gf and himself. Not worth going into.

Entourage-Not a bad year but not the show's best either. My list is crowded and Entourage just didn't stand out enough this year.

Simpsons-Way too inconsistant to chart.

Real World/Road Rules Challenge- Missed the list by a hair. Good show but i'm tired of seeing the Evan/Kenny/Johny alliance destroy everybody. If Sarah and Kellyanne had pulled off that upset, it might've squeezed on the list.

Family Guy-As I said earlier, it's going downhill. Still funny sometimes but nowhere near what it was.

Heroes-After "Villains", the show was offtrack and "Fugitives" and "Redemption" didn't help as much as they should have. Not sure it's fixable at this point.

Batman:The Brave and the Bold-a very good show. I love that first episode with Aquaman. It's miles better than the Batman was but like RW/RR, it just missed out on the list.

Real Time with Bill Maher-Great show but it's a talk show and thus I didn't toon in EVERY WEEK.

Real World-Another just missed it show, it was pretty good this year. From "not gay" Chet to the wrist slitting Aiiyea there were a lot of interesting new people that would be good for future challenges.

Eastbound and Down-YOU'RE F***ING OUT! Funny but a little too mean spirited at times to be truly great.

Daisy of Love-At first just a watered down girly Rock of Love. It slowly got entertaining about halfway through.

Pushing Daisies-Not as magical as the first season, season 2 was still good. I thought the mystery of the week thing got a little stale towards the end and it's a shame they never got a season 3 and a chance to freshen things up a bit.

My name is Earl-better than season 3 but not as great as season 1 and 2. Too little too late to be fixed.

and now the top 30:

30. Tough Love- matchmaker Steve teaches women how to stop acting like ****es and/or being too goony for men to like them. Dramatic without being trashy and you got an good view of how some women see men.

29. Spectacular Spider-man- Season 2 was quite good though not as groundbreaking as season 1. Loved Doc Ock's surprises during the season. Disney XD makes it hard to figure out when the show is on though.

28. American Idol-I gave up on the show in 2008 but returned to it this year due to my fiancee being an addict for it. We even had a bet going about DAnny Goki and Adam Lambert and who would win. We were both wrong.

27. Charm School-Rock of Love girls and Real Chance of Love girls shared a house and learned how to act right with the help of Ricki Lake. Hot dumb chicks being hot a dumb and fighting with each other over silliness=fun way to enjoy the evening after work.

26. Smallville-I thought everything about the Doomsday storyline was uneccesary to the show and I hated how they handled Jimmy...and yet I couldn't look away. I miss Lex but i'm still watching and being strung along like the rest of you.

25. Bored to Death- Schwartzman, Danson, and Galafanakis(sp?) are all great here. I think it really hit it's stride on the last 2-3 episodes of the season and I can't wait until season 2.

24. My Antonio-another vh1 reality dating show but what made this one different is that Sabato , Jr.'s ex wife competed with the single girls making a lot of extra drama.

23. Wolverine and The X-men-very strong X cartoon. If not for the overabundance of Wolverine, it could've ranked even higher for me.

22. The Bad Girls Club-Oxygen's Real World minus men is nothing but drunken catfights. It also had the Amber Show! This is the Amber show! Doo doo doo doo doo doo!

21. American Dad-I know I'm in the minority but I think it's the funniest show on Fox's animation block by far. It's consistantly better than FAmily Guy lately and doesn't deserve all the hate it's gotten online.

20. Everybody Hates Chris-The show's final season played out a lot like the previous one but it still remains one of the funnier sitcoms on tv. Wish we would've seen what happens after the finale though.

number 19 and further a little later today. What did you guys like this year?

Lost: A great season with a lot of amazing twists (
Locke is alive! Locke is still dead and the man walking around with his body is Jacob's enemy!

Smallville: We got an episode by my favorite Comic writer Geoff Johns! The Doomsday stuff rocked in my opinion, it was TV so I was happy with what we got! Season 9 continued to deliver the awesomeness with Metallo, The Wonder Twins and Speedy.

Supernatural: Season 4 was amazing, and season 5 has continued to deliver. This year gave me some of my favorite episodes like "The Monster At The End Of This Book", "Changing Channels" and "Abandon All Hope".

Prison Break: This show was amazing til the very end, Michael's death was one of the saddest ever on TV:csad: and C.Note returned!

Dollhouse: My favorite of the new shows we got this year, Boyd is awesome!

Fringe: J.J. Abrams really knows how to make an awesome show, the cast is amazing and the writing is great!

Glee: My guilty pleasure, my play list on iTunes is comprised of mostly Glee songs.

Pushing Daisies: I discovered this show this year and introduced my family to it, they all love it!

V: It got off to an interesting start and Fr. Jack rocks so I enjoyed it.

FlashForward: An interesting plot, this has become the show me and my brother watch together, sure the quality isn't that great but Dominic Monaghan is in it and it's entertaining!

Heroes: Fugitives was better than Villains and Redemption is the best since season 1.

Last edited:
nUMBERS THISSHOWGETS EBETTER AND BETTER. THEY EVEN HADHERNY WINKLER FROM HAPPY DAYS . I KNOW MOST OF THEEPSIDOES.

SMALLVILLE. NOW HES KIND OF SUPER-MAN. I NEVER REALLY WATCH THE NEW ESPDIEOS I BEEN HAIVNG ME A SMALLVILLMARTHRON ON DVD.

THE MEANLIST. I WATCHED THIS EVER CENTS IT STARTED. I KNOW MOST EPSIDOE BY HEART. I JUST HERD TNT IS PICKING IT UP RERUNS NOT UNITL 2012.

gRAY UNMARRIED. THIS IS REALLY FUNNY SITCOM. IT NOT TOO DRITY EITHER.

hANK I LIKD IT. I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY CANCELED IT. I THOUGH IT WAS FUNNY.

fLASH FORWD. ITS REALLY GOOD SHOW. I HADN'T BEEN WATCHING IT LATLY. I FORGET ABOUT IT WHAT TIME IT COMES ON.

THE BIG BANGETHOERY. WHO CAN'T LIKE NERDS. I HADN'T WATCH IT IN A WHILE.

vAMPIR DAIRES. I WATCH ONE OR TWO EPSIDOES. I LIKED IT . THEY BEEN HAVING MARHTORN OF IT ALL THIS WEEK.

DARK BLUE IT ABOUT THESE COP TRY BUST UP CRIMIEALS AND DRUGE DEALERS

AREYOU SMARTED THEN A FIFTH GRADER? I LIKE THIS SHOW. YOU ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING. JEFF FOX WORTHY IS FUNNY.

And I thought I watched alot of shows :wow:

My top shows of 2009 is a tie between Lost and Dexter. I was blown away by both of their seasons this year. Honorable mentions go out to Supernatural, Glee, Community, Parks and Recreation, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory.

P.S. I also liked Nip/Tuck and Smallville but honestly both shows haven't been at their highest standards in a long time. The storylines for Nip/Tuck are inconsistent and they've made the characters kind of hard to redeem. As for Smallville, the latter half of season 8 was a disappointment for me. Season 9 has been off to a good start though. I still love them and I will keep watching them until they end but they didn't make the cut for "top shows of 2009" for me. :csad:

Last edited:
As far as Smallville goes, I did love that Legion episode but the show to me, is just treading water. Him not being Superman is just becoming unbelievable at this point. Does it still have good episodes? Sometimes but usually nowhere near as good as season 5 or 6(which to me are the two best seasons).

Continuing with my list...

19. Real Chance of Love- Real and Chance are big *****es but their show is funny and it's always full of hot girls. Not anything of substance, just big stupid fun.

18. The Soup-a clip show but a clip show hosted by the hilarious Joel Mchale. Mchale is so good here that I thought he could make phonebooks funny. I even gave his sitcom Community a try because of this(eh, it was okay but not funny enough for me). But I never miss a "Soup" Episode.

17. 24-Started off season 7 with a really lame tv movie but segued nicely into a good(but not the best) season. I liked the freckled, busty cop, the african villain with the girlfriend, and "evil" Tony Almeda. If it weren't for the lame "Jack gets poisoned" subplot, this might've been even higher on the list.

16. I love Money-Vh1 continued to amuse me with I love Money 2. It's like the Real World/Road Rules challenges without ANY integrity whatsoever.

15. Making the Band 4- I was riveted in the fall of 2008 when Making the Band led to the very public breakup of Danity Kane and in the new 2009 season, things very nearly got that bad for DAy 26 as group member Q seemed to slowly be loosing his mind making for the show's most dramatic season ever.

14. 30 Rock-one of the most consistant sitcoms on tv, 30 rock usually brings the funny. Hey, anybody who can get Salma Hayek to wear a "what the frak?" t-shirt ranks high.

13. For the Love of Ray J- I used to hate Ray J but after this show came out I just can't hate him anymore. He's such an amusing idiot and he surrounds himself with some of the goofiest hot chicks ever. And one crazy b*tch who loves to "smash the homies".

12. Rock of Love Bus-and if you thought the girls on for the love of Ray J were dumb, wait till you see this bus full of strippers and Penthouse pets. Rock of Love Bus raised the bar for stupid ***** fights to levels nigh impossible to replicate. From the drunken hijinks of the Blounderage to the rivarly between beaverish Mindy and Penthouse pet Taya, it was the most consistant reality series of 2009 by far.

11. Hung- a dramedy about a divorced gym teacher who loses his house and needs some kind of fast money so he can still have some kind of custody of his teenage kids so he becomes...a man****e..err, I mean a "Happiness Consultant". One of the most original shows of the decade, Thomas Jane's character explores all the crazy ***** you've always wondered about the world of prostituion but never thought to ask. From his mousey pimp to some hot(and not so hot) clientelle it was consistantly entertaining and I'm glad it's been picked up for a 2nd season.

10. Glee- The makers of Nip/Tuck do a dramedy about a glee club in highschool. A very odd, very compelling cast elevate some already funny material full of great renditions of fitting tunes that carry the stories along nicely. Best of all, you get the tour de force that is Jane Lynch doing some emmy worthy work here as Sue the Cheerio's coach. oh and Lea Michelle is HAWTTTT and i don't really buy that she'd be that picked on looking as fine as she does but whatever. Still good show.

9. Curb your Enthusiasm-Consistantly one of the best shows on tv, Curb delivers once again. I didn't miss the Black family leaving that much but i'm glad they kept Leon. He's GOLD. "You gotta kill that a$$, Larry. Kill it.". And Oh my god, that episode where Larry dated the wheelchair women? An classic.

8. Flight of the Conchords-The first season was brilliant and the second season continues that. The second episode(in which Jemaine becomes a male prostitute and Murray agrees to help a Nigerian internet millionaire) is one of the funniest half hours of tv I've witnessed this year or any other year. It's a shame that the duo decided doing a third season would be too difficult cause I could've watched this show for at least another 5 seasons.

7. Big Love-The first season of HBO's Bill Paxon starrer was more of a family drama but with season 2 it expanded to make the polygmast world more of a focuse and by the time we got to this year's season 3, the showrunners had effectively learned to balance those two themes to create one *****storm of nailbiting drama and intrigue. The episode where the family go on a road vacation is the best episode of the series and features amazing work by every one involved. Season 4 starts next month and i'm pretty hyped.

6. Nip/Tuck- though not as great as earlier seasons, there is still a lot to like on Nip/Tuck. Matt as an gun-toting mime? AWSOME! Other greatness was had due to Indian intern Raj, crazy husband killer Teddy(played first by Katte Sackoff and then by Rose Mcgowan. I liked Sackoff better but Mcgowan wasn't bad), and of course just Sean and Christian doing all the f***ed up stuff they always do.

5. Southpark- I haven't seen a "bad" season of South Park since season 2. This one was no different. My favorites this year include "Butters Bottom B*tch"("Do you know what I am saying?" lol), Cartman vs. Mysterion(in the best DArk Knight parody ever. I know it's one of the only ones but come on, this is great!), and one of the funniest episodes of not only the year, but of all time, "Fish Sticks". Were there a couple of clunkers? Of course, but overall, Trey and Matt continue to prove whey they're still on the air.

4. Dollhouse-what started as a dull mission of the week hourlong with a weak lead character quickly(by about the 5th episode) tunred into a nailbiting thriller in which every week viewers(what little there were) tried to figure out:Who else is a doll? Who is Alpha? Who really runs the Dollhouse? The biggest and ONLY problem the show has is that overly focused on making Eliza Dushku's Echo the main attraction when it should've been about the mystery and intrigue behind the Dollhouse from the jump of the series. It's got some really awful episodes but the good ones are AMAZING and shows off what a geniuse Joss Whedon continues to be.

3. Lost-although not as great for me as the first 4 seasons, Lost's fifth season still brought the awesome. The mystery of Locke's body was(kind of) solved, we saw a *****load of time travel, and (my personal favorite Desmond scene of all time), Ben trying to kill Penny and getting his clock cleaned QUITE well. Lost is consistantly great and doesn't know how to really suck so the top 2 shows benefited from a Lost seasons that was SLIGHTLY lacking compared to it's first 4.

2. True Blood-a REAL vampire show that is almost as good as old school Buffy(only more violent and with lots more sex!) Compelling storylines, great characters, and a very well thought out world full of big bads, little bads, various vampire clans, etc. that are always good for mythology building shows like these. I think they drew out the final battle with the witch lady for a few too many episodes but that's a minor complaint. Everything else was gold.

and number one goes to.....

1. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA- My history with BSG started off innocently enough. I remember during the summer of 2008 reading all the praise that aintitcool news's Herc kept heating on it and thinking,"It's THAT good, herc? Freaking Battlestar Galactica. No way". But I kept reading little reviews all over the net where nerds who liked good tv that I liked(Buffy, lost, etc.) seemed to really dig it. I went to my local Blockbuster in September 2008 and rented the miniseries. REally loved it. Loved it so much in fact that instead of renting the rest of season 1, I just went and bought it. I got about 3 or 4 episodes into the regular season 1 and for whatever reason got bored. I stopped watching the show. Then on a whim, late January 2009, I put in my first season dvd set and decided to watch it out of boredom. I was unemployed at the time and needed something to kill time between job hunting and interviews. This time I got into it. By the end of the first season, I had to know what happened next. For my birthday(Feb. 8th), I got season 2.0 and burned through it in less than a week, then 2 weeks later I got 2.5 and again, about a week. I burned through the much longer season 3 in roughly 3-4 days and season 4.0 in 2 days. During this time, I was full on obsessed with the series. I started collecting Diamond Select's action figures. I started with a set of about 5 or 6 figures. I now own 21 figures(and counting). I soon learned the series was ending and caught up with the remaining episodes of season 4.5 online in time to watch series finale live as it aired. And what a finale it was. One of the best series finales I've ever seen satisfying in almost every way(I still dont like the way things ended for Starbuck. WTF was she?!). BSG gets the crown for not only having some great episodes in 09' but also becoming a full on obsession for me this year as not only did I watch the episodes but after the finale aired I went back and watched ALL of them again, bought and watched Caprica's pilot movie and The Plan and am now eagerly waiting for the spinoff Caprica series to begin as well as the release of the finale action figures from the toyline(Including Tigh, Gaeta, Adama, Athena, Baltar and a few others). Battlestar Galactica is my favorite show of 2009.

I would like to include Mad Men in my top shows of 2009 list. Season 3 was amazing! I can't believe I forgot to include it. So it's a three way tie for me with LOST, Dexter, and Mad Men.

I would like to include Mad Men in my top shows of 2009 list. Season 3 was amazing! I can't believe I forgot to include it. So it's a three way tie for me with LOST, Dexter, and Mad Men.

I'm halfway through Mad Men's first season so when I catch up, season 4 will be in the running next year for me.

Glee - very interesting comedy that doesn't require use of a laugh track to know what's funny.

Nip/Tuck - after missing a few seasons trying to get back to watching it and it seems ok at times.

The Simpsons - more of a habit but the series has gone on far too long.

Family Guy - still fresh and irrelevant I can never tire of FG.

The Clevaland Show - it's ok but the choice time slot is what's saving it from cancellation.

V - first episodes were ok but it needs to pack more action once in a while, I fear it won't get renewed for a 2nd season.

Conan O'Brian - now that he's on an hour early Conan really is funny and hipper that old fart Letterman.

Battlestar Galactica- Anyone who would call this "a show about robots" has clearly never watched the show and might actually be ******ed. The acting is superb, the story is compelling and that series finale was one of the most emotional I've ever seen.

Glee- Love the **** out of it. Simple as that.

LOST- Keeps getting better. I'm not ready to let it go.

Supernatural- The evolution this show has gone through over the past five years blows me away. A show that started out being about two brothers facing off against American urban legends has turned into a war between Angels and Demons and the fight to prevent the Apocalypse. I'll be there every step of the way. :up:

Chuck- It needs to start again now!

The Office- I loved that damn wedding episode. Some episodes are a bit off, but I still love it.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia- Love these guys.

Curb Your Enthusiasm- If you think Larry David is past his prime... do yourself a favor and take a nap on a set of railroad tracks because you dont deserve to live. Period.

Last edited:
Breaking Bad - A show that I can never guess what will happen, it's brilliant character driven stuff based on a concept that is some of the best "black comedy" I have seen on tv. Ever.

Dexter - This last season was my favourite...beating out season one. With a shocking finale, things look to get even crazier in season 5.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Larry David can turn the most simplest, everyday life thing and make it a comedic opera. He is a master...and I am hopeful the show returns for another season.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Like Sawyer above me said...Love these guys!

House - Some really great storylines coming out of this show...and I totally loved the season premier that started off in the psych home which was like a mini movie.

The Office - Always makes me laugh, I'm so invested in these characters I feel every emotion that the writers put out.

Newbies

Community - A good, fun show that so far has gotton a lot right! My fave new comedy of 2009.

Bored to Death - A strong cast, with a really good concept.

Lost- Even though Claire was not in this year it featured Locke, Ben, and Richard, and Jacob.

House- Last season Finale + this season= awesome.

Smallville- He is all but Superman.

V- Great show but need to see more.

The Big Bang Theory- Dr. Sheldon Cooper FTW!

How I Met Your Mother- Legendary.

Better of Ted- Surprisingly funny.

Community- Again Surprisingly funny.

Modern Family- Again Again Surprisingly funny.

Lost
Fringe
Dexter
Burn Notice
Chuck
White Collar
Supernatural
Its always Sunny in Philedelphia
Modern Family
The League

CHUCK-

Didn't watch much tv this year, mostly movies. But I've been watching CHUCK online and season 1 on dvd and totally fell in love with it. So yeah, it's the only show I really liked this year and in a long time.

I also love Doctor Who. Used to watch it on the then SciFi channel (now SyFy), but they don't show it anymore. :( I'm sure I could watch it online, right? Just haven't tried enough I guess.

White Collar- Watched the first 2 eps and really liked it but for some reason stopped watching after that. I'm going to rent the first season as soon as I can.

Stargate Universe- Also watched a few eps but lost interest; it just wasn't fun enough, way too serious. Is the season over? Did it get better? That's subjective, I guess.

Last edited:
7. Curb Your Enthusiasm - Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, nuff said.

6. Flight of the Concords - The Dynamic Duo + Murry made for some great songs, memorable moments and solid entertaining television.

5. Lost - Haven't really liked this series properly since about season 2. Lost is probably the definition of BIG tv, but it always fell short of ever actually answering anything. This season changed all that and we finally started to see what it all meant, how everything played into each other and most importantly it was entertaining all leading to a finale that left me excited and wanting more. Bring on the new and final season!

4. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Always outrageous, always funny and always entertaining. Right from the very opening scene you know it's going to be good and it never fails to disappoint.

3. South Park - Previous years this show has taken it without question but there are some strong contenders this year. Biting satire at it's best, particularly the first half of the season with spectacular episodes such as the internet and the batman parody. The second half of the season dragged it down a bit but im confident that Matt and Trey will once again reach that top spot in the future.

2. The Venture Bothers - Was the wait worth it? Without a doubt. I love this show! I love the characters, I love the story, I love the world they live in. It is just so complete and everything works together on so many levels. Each episode builds on itself without losing its focus. It's a parody and its nostalgic and its also its own. Go team Venture!

1. Battlestar Galactica - What can be said that hasn't been said before. Each episode was a roller-coaster ride I never wanted to end. I have never looked forward to a show as much and I have never been blown away after watching an episode as much as BSG. When you watch it you become so absorbed within the world they create. It had suspense, drama, crazy action, politics, romance and so much more. Haunted by their past and in a constant battle for survival the fleet and the crew of the Battlestar Galactica finally found some peace. We came to know these characters and they will be missed.

CHUCK-

Didn't watch much tv this year, mostly movies. But I've been watching CHUCK online and season 1 on dvd and totally fell in love with it. So yeah, it's the only show I really liked this year and in a long time.

I also love Doctor Who. Used to watch it on the then SciFi channel (now SyFy), but they don't show it anymore. :( I'm sure I could watch it online, right? Just haven't tried enough I guess.

White Collar- Watched the first 2 eps and really liked it but for some reason stopped watching after that. I'm going to rent the first season as soon as I can.

Stargate Universe- Also watched a few eps but lost interest; it just wasn't fun enough, way too serious. Is the season over? Did it get better? That's subjective, I guess.

I agree, but kept watching. The last episode before it took a break was pretty awesome, and leaves us with some potentially good storylines.

Having said that, the show is still very serious and "talky".

p.s I totally forgot about Doctor Who. Good pick!

The Colbert Report &
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Four nights a week, forty weeks a year they bring some saneness to television news. Politicians and the media somehow were more messed up this year than any previous year. While I've lost interest in the rest of the late night shows, only tuning in occasionally, these two shows have kept me hooked since 2001.

Mad Men &
Breaking Bad

AMC's shows continue to get better if that was possible. Walter White went through a lot this year, perhaps more than any other character this year [BLACKOUT](was kidnapped and lied about it, struggled and then beat cancer, missed the birth of his daughter due to the biggest drug deal of his life, nearly died in the desert, let his friend's girlfriend die to protect himself, rescued his friend from the darkest place, had his family leave him and then there was the fire that rained down upon him at the end.[/BLACKOUT]. Season three should be more crazier and filled dark humour.

Mad Men saw more focus on the homelife of Don and Betty Draper, which was great (Sally and Grandpa Gene were wonderful) but it took away time from favourites at Sterling Cooper (Paul, Sal, Ken, Pete, Peggy & Harry). Perhaps the best heist storyline in a long time for the season finale as Don stole clients away from McCann-Erickson. It flet like the third season finale after the previous two episodes could've easily been one. Betty confronting Don about his identity and then everyone dealing with that weekend in November 1962. Draper's 8 was a feel good way to end the season after so much drama plus the questions it raises for season four.

The Big Bang Theory &
How I Met Your Mother

I skipped TBBT's first season, the premise sounded lame to me but friends recommended it and so I tuned in January and as much as I didn't want to like it I really enjoyed it. So much that I bought the season one DVD blindly, when it was on sale. Season two was giving me more laughs than 30 Rock or The Office, which was hard to believe. The third season had a weak start but the last month it's gotten much better and so have the ratings earning more than 14 million viewers.

I wanted to see Barney and Robin get together, they played with that storyline all season and was annoyed that it fell apart after just seven episodes. Probably for is the best but after all the build up it seemed lame to be over just seven episodes in. Lots more teases of the mother, I haven't followed the show since the start so maybe it doesn't bother me that they're in their fifth season and she's no where to be seen.

Parks and Recreation &
Community

If The Office and 30 Rock were to end this season I would be okay as these shows would be fine substitutes, though the ratings certainly need to improve. Just like The Office, Parks & Rec need the summer break to fine tune the show and the second season has made Ron Swanson a highlight character for sure. Stories not dealing with "The Pit" were good and now it's "The Lot".

I read about the development of Community a lot in the winter/spring of this year and this easily became a favourite of mine. Not since the cast of Arrested Development has such a cast been so enjoyable so early in a series. Chevy Chase could've hurt this show but he has only helped and saved his career after letting it rot for 20 years. Episodes like the Mexican Halloween (not the sex act) or Christmas Party were the funniest half hours on NBC's Comedy Night Done Right.

The Office &
30 Rock

The Michael Scott Paper Company storyline brought new life to the series, if only it could've lasted one or two more episodes. The wedding had to be the best wedding episode of the decade. While I wouldn't mind the documentary crew leaving,

The Jon Hamm episodes were some of the highlights this year, I hope he returns like Floyd and Dennis. Josh returned and then he quit. Did Samela Hayek's cleavage get a Emmy nom this year?

Damages &

While 24's twists are now mostly predictable or they don't seem have the balls to do something like they once did. Thankfully Damages goes all in and isn't predictable. 24 still provided reliable action and Jack Bauer being a bad ass but the show is showing it's age and the difficulty of trying to not rehash which hurt the show in season six. Expect groans if there is a mole inside CTU or the White House this season. Damages is the New York based lawyer show everyone should watch.

Curb Your Enthusiasm &
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Seinfeld on crack continued with the insanity and Seinfeld 2.0 delivered a Seinfeld Reunion, more Leon and Larry texting with a nine year old girl.

As far as debuting series go for the 2009s, in no particular order:

Glee

Lie to Me

Parks & Recreation

Community

Modern Family

Eastbound & Down

Tosh.O

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien
(ok, still a work in progress, but it's still Conan)

Now ongoing series that are still bringing it, in no particular order:

The Office

Chuck

Supernatural

House

30 Rock

Dexter

The Soup

South Park

The Daily Show

The Colbert Report

Rescue Me

Fringe
(still need to watch the last of season 1 before I watch season 2)

Lost (No offense to the fanatics out there, but thank god the last season is next year. The show has been losing steam for me.)

The Simpsons (The episode written by Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen alone was one of the best I've ever seen in their 20+ year run.)

Spectacular Spider-Man

Last edited:
2009 was the year that I discovered The Wire so that pretty much topped the list for me.

Venture Bros.- One of the strongest shows on tv. What was once a Johnny Quest parody now is its own thing. Hilarious and charcters with depth and development. A real rare thing in Adult Swim and in animated shows in general.

Metaloclypse- I was afraid that the half hour format would stretch it too thin but thank god was I wrong.

Curb Your Enthusiasm- "Well at least it will make up for the finale."
"What do you make up for the finale? The finale was fine." Those lost two episodes were magic. Seeing the entire cast again was amazing.

Better Off Ted - viciously funny and you almost feel bad laughing at some of the jokes

Supernatural - the show maintains a high standard with each episode, even the goofy episodes

How I Met Your Mother - The Playbook, the Sexless Inkeeper, and NPH make this show the best 30 minutes on TV

BSG - frakkin awesome

The Shield - the end of one of tvs most fearless shows, but still fantastic

The League - If you play fantasy football, you know those guys

Better Off Ted - viciously funny and you almost feel bad laughing at some of the jokes

Supernatural - the show maintains a high standard with each episode, even the goofy episodes

How I Met Your Mother - The Playbook, the Sexless Inkeeper, and NPH make this show the best 30 minutes on TV

BSG - frakkin awesome

The Shield - the end of one of tvs most fearless shows, but still fantastic

The League - If you play fantasy football, you know those guys

The Office
Dexter
Lost
Simpsons
and........

Pawn Stars

hmmm. i'd say the best new shows of last season are (in order):

1. the league
2. sherri