World Favourite Animated Superman design

Not that I'd pick it personally, but the iteration of Superman from the animated adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns" wasn't included as a choice. As far as characterization, I thought Mark Valley did a wonderful job with Clark in that one.

Also the Filmation Superman from 1966 and the two designs of Superman from the 2006 "Legions of Superheroes" series are all absent.

In terms of outright graphic design, I'd definitely go with TAS. And Tim Daly's voice as Superman? So good!

Not that I'd pick it personally, but the iteration of Superman from the animated adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns" wasn't included as a choice. As far as characterization, I thought Mark Valley did a wonderful job with Clark in that one.

Also the Filmation Superman from 1966 and the two designs of Superman from the 2006 "Legions of Superheroes" series are all absent.

In terms of outright graphic design, I'd definitely go with TAS. And Tim Daly's voice as Superman? So good!

tumblr_lwobmpkPmB1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

Tim daily's voice is the definitive superman voice from me (right up there with Hammil's joker, Conroy's batman and Brown's lex); his voice just oozes authority and confidence.

Tim daily's voice is the definitive superman voice from me (right up there with Hammil's joker, Conroy's batman and Brown's lex); his voice just oozes authority and confidence.

Definitely, followed by Newbern

Voted for Superman: The Animated Series.

Among others I do like Fleischer's design and The Brave and the Bold's.

I am probably in a minority here but Patrick Warburton to me had a very good Superman voice. Now I hear his voice though and think of Joe Swanson.

I agree Tim Daly has the definitive voice of Supes.

All Star.

I hate that cartoon and that comic, but I love his look in that.

All Star.

I hate that cartoon and that comic, but I love his look in that.

Woah, woah, woah.

How can anyone hate All Star Superman? It's one of the best comics that DC has put out EVER.

What don't you like about the story, charl?

Woah, woah, woah.

How can anyone hate All Star Superman? It's one of the best comics that DC has put out EVER.

Okay...hate is probably too strong a wrong. I just don't like it because I find the story so incredibly preachy it was hard to enjoy it. There are certain parts I really like, but those parts are overwhelmed by how preachy I find the story in general.

It's funny because I own all the issues of All-Star, but I've never been tempted to by the trade. It has been a while since I read it, so I think I may buy the digital trade so I can see if it still rubs me the way it did when I first read it. I may find some enjoyment in it that I didn't during my first go around.

All star is an interesting series, it starts out with a bang but then issues 2-4 were complete fillers (although issue 3 was a lot of fun to read). Issue 5 was a fantastic lex centered story and issue 6 was a wonderful pa kent send off story but then you get issues 7-9, which were complete fillers with no purpose what so ever.
Issue 10 is the best superman homage story of all time IMO while issues 11-12 were the best ending possible to superman's never ending battle.

All in all the series was a hit and miss, when it hit, it hit BIG and when it didn't it was mediocre.
Still I really liked what Morrison did with the series and it will be a welcome addition to the superman mythos.
But for those of you who want to read a truly awe inspiring superman then look no further than "up up and away" 8 part issue by johns and Busiek and "the world of new krypton" 12 part series by Rucka and Robinson.

I enjoyed "Up Up and Away" very much. I don't remember the other, but I'm sure I've read it.

edit:

Also I like your thoughts on All-Star, Chan.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words charl; I can't tell you how much I recommend the world of new krypton series. It's part of a much larger superman arc that involves all the superman and related titles but unfortunately the arc it self is a big mess and isn't really worth getting into.
The world of new krypton introduces a simple concept, what if there are a 100000 kryptonians who build a new krypton? and what if you put kal in a world where there are a 100000 other kryptonians just like him, will he still be a superman amongst superman or just another kryptonian?
Believe me if any of you want to see an intelligent, charismatic and capable superman then the world of new krypton is the series for you, if you like the character then this series will make you love him! if you don't care about or dislike the character then this series will make you like him! and if hate the character then this series will make you respect him!

Billy Zane is visually perfect for Lex.

Yeah.

And I'm just going to say it: I think he could have pulled Lex off. If he's good enough for James Cameron, he's good enough for me. I think he'd do fine as Lex as far as acting goes. :up:

Off topic, but am I the only one who's favorite Superman theme is the one form Superman TAS?

Its my favourite animated version but nothing beats the Williams theme for me. Although Man of Steel's was superb aswell.

All star is an interesting series, it starts out with a bang but then issues 2-4 were complete fillers (although issue 3 was a lot of fun to read). Issue 5 was a fantastic lex centered story and issue 6 was a wonderful pa kent send off story but then you get issues 7-9, which were complete fillers with no purpose what so ever.
Issue 10 is the best superman homage story of all time IMO while issues 11-12 were the best ending possible to superman's never ending battle.

All in all the series was a hit and miss, when it hit, it hit BIG and when it didn't it was mediocre.
Still I really liked what Morrison did with the series and it will be a welcome addition to the superman mythos.
But for those of you who want to read a truly awe inspiring superman then look no further than "up up and away" 8 part issue by johns and Busiek and "the world of new krypton" 12 part series by Rucka and Robinson.

I find this is true with Superman stories in general.

Yeah.

And I'm just going to say it: I think he could have pulled Lex off. If he's good enough for James Cameron, he's good enough for me. I think he'd do fine as Lex as far as acting goes. :up:

Good enough for James Cameron 15 years ago...

Woah, woah, woah.

I hate All Star Superman. It's at the bottom of my list of comics. I can't figure out what people liked about it. There's only a few sections that are worth reading.

I don't have a favorite animated Superman. I like all of them for various reasons. Except the underwear. It always makes me giggle. To fair, He-Man's underwear made me giggle (but not as much as Prince Adam's underwear and meggings).

Last edited:
I hate All Star Superman. It's at the bottom of my list of comics. I can't figure out what people liked about it. There's only a few sections that are worth reading.

I don't have a favorite animated Superman. I like all of them for various reasons. Except the underwear. It always makes me giggle. To fair, He-Man's underwear made me giggle (but not as much as Prince Adam's underwear and meggings).

You mean underwears in general or just superman's underwear?
What about Batman's or Wolverine's or Captain America's or Cyclopse's or wonderwoman, Martian Manhunter etc.....?

Wow at all the All-Star hate. Definitely judging these people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"