Film Noir

Carmine Falcone

So it goes.
Reaction score
Film noir is an awesome subgenre. This the topic to discuss those films. Favourites, recommendations and discussion. The definition is very broad. So some may question what others define as film noir...

Some great old school noirs:
The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
Dark Passage
Sunset Boulevard
Shadow of a Doubt
The Killing

some neo-noirs:
L.A Confidential
Chinatown
Miller's Crossing
Brick

and how can I forget;
The Big Lebowski
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

(;))

Some I still want/need to see:
Out of the Past
Double Indemnity
Touch of Evil
The Big Heat
In a Lonely Place

Do you really consider Big Lebowski a neo-noir?

I actually have trouble calling anything after the original film noir genre pics as film noir, because when the originals were being made, they weren't consciously making a new genre. But neo-noir is pretty suitable, as long as people understand and appreciate the difference.

My friend keeps harping on about "Murder, My Sweet" which I guess I should see.

Touch of Evil is an awesome movie. Definitely a genre great.

I love film noir. I often consider Blade Runner (because of the lighting and how the story is told). Also, Chris Nolan's work has very strong noir touches.

Murder My Sweet's a pretty good movie. It was on TCM the other day, gotta love than channel.

Black Dahlia consists of elements of film noir, but it's better to look at that watch as a film

Double Indemnity is pretty good. I love The Big Sleep

I picked up a 3 DVD set of some public domain noir films and I fell in love with it. The Man Who Cheated Himself and Too Late for Tears are some great (presumably) low-budget fare.

Im more of a neo-noir fan. Brick needs to be put on the neo-noir list. If anybody liked Miller's Crossing they need to pick up Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett

Angel Heart is also a great Neo-noir film

Do you really consider Big Lebowski a neo-noir?

Nah, not really. It is very obviously inspired by noir though. The story was modeled after The Big Sleep, which also explains the title.

I saw these 3, they are awesome,Out Of The Past has machine gun dialogue much like The Big Sleep.

Oh goody. And Robert Mitchum is one bad mother****er. Double Indemnity had Eddy Robinson who is a bad mother****er aswell. And I've only seen the fisrt four minutes of Touch of Evil on Youtube. It made my jaw hit the floor.

Im more of a neo-noir fan. Brick needs to be put on the neo-noir list. If anybody liked Miller's Crossing they need to pick up Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett

Brick was pretty good. Altough some bits of it felt forced. Stylistically it was beautiful. And it had some great music.

I love Brick...the fast paced stylized dialouge was done perfectly...but Bogart in the Maltese Falcone WAS film noir...he embodied the entire genre in that movie, and the 3 disc dvd of it is one of the prize jewels of my dvd collection.

I love Brick...the fast paced stylized dialouge was done perfectly...but Bogart in the Maltese Falcone WAS film noir...he embodied the entire genre in that movie, and the 3 disc dvd of it is one of the prize jewels of my dvd collection.

I still need to get that Special Edition. I have this crappy bare-bones DVD with mediocre image quality. And this film deserves better. Sam Spade is the ultimate Bogart character and the supporting cast is just superb. Peter Lorre is hilarious and Sydney Greenstreet is just fantastic.

maltese%20falcon%20SPLASH.jpg

And how can I write about this movie without using this line? It's The stuff that dreams are made of.

:up:

The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
Sunset Boulevard
The Killing

L.A Confidential
Chinatown

The Big Lebowski
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Out of the Past
Double Indemnity
Touch of Evil

The ones I've seen :up:

I recommend the following...

The Third Man
Witness For The Prosecution
The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Angels with Dirty Faces
The Night Of The Hunter

"Newer Film Noir" I recommend...
Fargo
Gone Baby Gone
The Lookout
A Simple Plan
The Gift
Before The Devil Knows Your Dead

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Third Man was pretty good. But the music was kinda..distracting. I'd like to see it again.

And The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is NOT a film-noir. Sure, there are different perspectives on the definition. But I can't imagine why anyone would call Sierra Madre a film-noir. It's an old-school adventure movie (some may consider it a western)

And I'm not sure of Night of the Hunter either.

The Third Man was pretty good. But the music was kinda..distracting. I'd like to see it again.

And The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is NOT a film-noir. Sure, there are different perspectives on the definition. But I can't imagine why anyone would call Sierra Madre a film-noir. It's an old-school adventure movie (some may consider it a western)

And I'm not sure of Night of the Hunter either.
it's 6:30am...cut me a break...lol

How about noir on TV? The old series The Flash was a classic example of neo-noir, from story pacing, sets, dialog, music, lighting, the whole thing screams hard boiled detective thriller.

Also, BTAS before they restarted with the newer art style always had that noir feel to it.

Oh, if you guys like noir you should check out the Mike Hammer books by Mickey Spillain. Makes the Sam Spade stuff look like child's play. They did make Mike Hammer movies and a series but they were pretty weakened compared to the books.

Great genre. I like the films inspired by the genre as well. Let's not forget Key Largo, though. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"