PS3 Firmware to support custom soundtracks soon

Zenien

Reaction score
The PS3 unit being used at E3 were running on a more up to date firmware then the one Sony has currently released. Probably the next version set for public.

Take a look!

4p1trau.jpg

I hope it's dynamic, and doesn't cut out the game BGM entirely for the entire play session just because you wanted to listen to one song.

very cool, gotta love firmware updates

The PS3 unit being used at E3 were running on a more up to date firmware then the one Sony has currently released. Probably the next version set for public.

Take a look!

I hope it's dynamic, and doesn't cut out the game BGM entirely for the entire play session just because you wanted to listen to one song.

As much as I toted this feature as being a reason why Xbox 360 was better than the PS3.. I don't really care. I've used the custom soundtrack ability maybe twice. Mainly because the music never goes with the game and it always takes me right out of the experience.

Unless I'm playing Half-Life 2's soundtrack over a game.

SWWWWEEEEEEETTTT!!!:eek::up: NICE FIND ZEN, AS USUAL, YOU'RE ON A ROLL TODAY!!!:oldrazz::D:up:

As much as I toted this feature as being a reason why Xbox 360 was better than the PS3.. I don't really care. I've used the custom soundtrack ability maybe twice. Mainly because the music never goes with the game and it always takes me right out of the experience.

Unless I'm playing Half-Life 2's soundtrack over a game.

I think that's part of the problem with how the 360 does it. At least with my experience with Oblivion once you decided to play a custom track the games default background music would never kick back in. When I want custom BGM, I might just want to listen to one song on a whim, or one awesome song for a particular thing in a game, but I don't want to have to manage the BGM entirely from that point and that's how it just ruins immersion for a lot of games imo. I'd hope that the Sony implementation will let you play whatever song you want to play, select if you want it to play the other songs in sequence, loops whatever, but when you're done acknowledge the in game runtime stuff that plays the in game BGM again, not disable it entirely to play the custom soundtrack like the 360 OS does.

I'm not sure about the feasibility of that but it doesn't sound that hard y'know?

I'd like to see the reverse of custom soundtracks on consoles to happen- the ability to get the soundtrack from the game onto the hard drive

I think that's part of the problem with how the 360 does it. At least with my experience with Oblivion once you decided to play a custom track the games default background music would never kick back in. When I want custom BGM, I might just want to listen to one song on a whim, or one awesome song for a particular thing in a game, but I don't want to have to manage the BGM entirely from that point and that's how it just ruins immersion for a lot of games imo. I'd hope that the Sony implementation will let you play whatever song you want to play, select if you want it to play the other songs in sequence, loops whatever, but when you're done acknowledge the in game runtime stuff that plays the in game BGM again, not disable it entirely to play the custom soundtrack like the 360 OS does.

I'm not sure about the feasibility of that but it doesn't sound that hard y'know?

Yeah, that was mainly the problem. I only wanted to listen to a song or two and have it cut back into the the in-game. But I had to pause the game so I could stop the soundtrack from continuing on if I didn't want to listen to the custom soundtrack during the whole play experience. It really ruined immersion for those games where you didn't want to have to stop what you were doing and f*** around with the controls for a minute to stop the custom soundtrack, I agree.

You should check out the Killzone thread, I totally smacked you. :p

On topic I don't see WHY either Microsoft or Sony can't get this squared away in the fashion we're talking about. :confused:

You should check out the Killzone thread, I totally smacked you. :p

On topic I don't see WHY either Microsoft or Sony can't get this squared away in the fashion we're talking about. :confused:

Yeah, I know. I saw the smacking already. Sorry if my response doesn't make any sense right now. I'm still editing it for clarity. It probably sucks but meh.

And yeah, you'd think it wouldn't be something that would take too much mental power to overcome. Just add in some more soundtrack/playlist options and the problem would take care of itself.

With my 360 (yes i have one) i use it for one game only. THP8. That said, i dont need it. Ya, its cool to plug my ipod in, but after that, so what? I love going thru Cyrodill with the amazing sountrack to oblivion playing in my surround sound. I love the eerie noises i hear in condemmed. I even love the cheesy music in sneak king.

When i get my PS3 in the next few days, I'll really see how it can be fully used after the firmware update.

I've never really used custom soundtracks for anything except for GTA radio stations. I generally prefer to just hear the game's intended music, even if it isn't that good. Besides, music can help a game along a lot of times, I think you're missing out if you run custom music a lot of the time.

Does anyone know when the next update wil be released? Or how often they release one? Is it every 3 months? Every 6 months?

I've only ever used the custom soundtracks on the original XBOX for the games that had the option to do so, e.g. GTA and Tony Hawk games... it doesn't bother me at all if I can't listen to my own music, if I wanted to do that I would use an mp3 player or put the radio on

I think it's one of those features that people want for a long time then barely use it when it's available to them

Talk about a bumped thread. Funnilly enough, you guys know how there's full remote play now with the PSP/PS3? Howard Stringer demonstrated taht live about a year ago to journalists, so it's pretty obvious that they have a planned release schedule. Word is that the select music feature and magical in game XMB were suppose to be out by now, but have been pushed back to coinside with the release of Playstation Home.

so...hows playstation home gonna work? (forgive me if this is the wrong place lol )

is it gonna be a download update? or just realesed on disk and we have to buy it?

Do you have an mp3 or cd player with speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"