Florida, whats it really like?

B.A. Baracus

Sidekick
Reaction score
I live in the UK so generally the view is Florida is a beautiful place where the rain barely falls, yet a few years ago I heard that Florida is actually not a great place to live, pretty dirty and one of the rainiest places to live in the USA, just wondering how true this is.

I also heard that Disney land Florida is pretty dirty, somewhat of a let down? Is there any truth to it?

It's pretty nice, my relatives live in Tampa so I went there a couple of times back in the day.

I live in the UK so generally the view is Florida is a beautiful place where the rain barely falls, yet a few years ago I heard that Florida is actually not a great place to live, pretty dirty and one of the rainiest places to live in the USA, just wondering how true this is.

I also heard that Disney land Florida is pretty dirty, somewhat of a let down? Is there any truth to it?

Florida is a rather large state, and it actually has some very different areas.

The northern half of Florida is culturally part of "the South", which is very different from the more international Southern half of the state. Think Alabama. The Southern half has a very diverse population. The "panhandle" (the Western part) is more Southern, but has a huge tourist industry.

It's terrible during hurricane season. But otherwise, the climate is fairly nice.

I don't care much for theme parks. Too expensive. But they're almost all centered in Orlando. So, it's not like the whole state is full of them.

I should also add that the worst drivers in America seem to live in Florida. This may have something to do with it being a popular place for old people to retire to.

It depends on the area, honestly. I live in Panama City (up in the top part), and that's a great place for people my age (lower 20s). It's literally the "spring break capital of the country" and up until 2010 MTV came here to film their spring break beach concerts. It's really weird how segregated the rednecks are from the rest of us, though. It rains like 92836492864923864893247294 times a week, but usually not for long. I'm pretty sure everyone in the lower half of the state is addicted to pills, though.

when I went about 7 or 8 years ago it wasn't all I thought it'd be. Kind of a let down for sure. Of course, any time you have someplace where massive amounts of people go it's going to suck. People ruin most things.

Disney "World' is awesome.

Disney "World" is really nice (Disney Land is in California). It is actually amazing how clean they keep a park that size and they do most of it without you noticing it much. You certainly don't see any garbage laying on the ground, ever.

As for a letdown, it depends on what you are looking forward in doing and not having ridiculous expectations. *See Paris Syndrome.

For a first visitor you will be overwhelmed with the scale of things. The first time we went to Disney we tried to do EVERYTHING and we exhausted ourselves (literally). I would make a plan on things you really want to do, ride, characters to pictures with, shows to see, parades, fireworks, etc. Start from there and whatever extra you do is a bonus. You can get a free dvd and maps from some Disney websites that will help. I recommend www.mousesavers.com as it helped me out greatly. Plus the time of the year will factor majorly on how much you will enjoy going. I have been to Disney World four times in different times of the year. (December (Busiest time), Jan/Feb, June/July, Aug/Sept.) Certain times of the year are busier (you can find that on Mouse Savers) such as Christmas break, March Break, Thanksgiving, etc. Anytime people have time off from Holidays expect it to be busy. However if you have flexibility you can book in between these holidays and have far less of a crowd to deal with (less people=shorter lines and more time to enjoy everything without waiting). Weather can also be a downer as when we went in June/July and Aug/Sept it was ridiculously hot and humid (Imagine turning your oven on and sticking your head in) There were days where you wouldn't get a lick of wind or rain. Trust me you welcome a little bit of rain, which comes in passing showers (more during the winter months). Of course if you plan accordingly you can be inside the nice air conditioned rides during the hottest parts of the day. FYI - June/July not a good time to go as a lot of tourist/students from Central/South America visit during this time and make the parks busy. As for Aug/Sept this was probably the emptiest I have seen the parks EVER. But be warned this is Hurricane season down there but I don't believe a hurricane has ever reached that far inland as Disney World. The first time I went to Disney we were hit by a tropical storm which just resulted in a bit of rain and wind (which was nice due to all the heat we had). My sister actually called and was worried but at that point I didn't even know we were being hit by a storm.

There are four major Parks (Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios), two water parks, and then there are things like Disney Quest. I would plan at least 2 days for Magic Kingdom, one day each for Epcot and Animal, and you get away with half a day to a day at Hollywood Studios but pick a day they do the Fantasia show. You could certainly spend more time if you want at these parks but I am just giving you a heads up on how much to at least spend in each park

If you can afford it and have the time I would also try to visit Universal Studios. The roller coasters are far better, there is Marvel Super Hero Island and two words... Harry Potter. We spent two days with hopper passes to visit both parks each day and we got to ride every ride at both parks multiple times and some like the Hulk coaster and Dragon's Challenge several times.

Last edited:
I'm considering moving to Orlando, so I'd like to hear how it really is from people who live there or have family there. I've been there a few times for vacation, but I never thought it was that great until last year, where I was given the freedom to wander around and do whatever I wanted. I had a hell of a time, but I was a tourist who was staying in a fancy hotel and was within walking distance of a couple of cool spots. Not really the same as actually living there and interacting with the locals.

I moved out of Florida and the Orlando area back in '75....haven't been back since the early 90's. Back then it was great....can't really say much about it now though.

I've lived in Florida for most of my life. After moving to/visiting various different states I can say confidently that florida is the nicest state in America that I have visited. Now there is a huge difference from North Florida and South Florida. North Florida is more rural and swampy, however overall it is a beautiful natural landscape.
South Florida (where I am from) is beautiful. It stays between 70 - 100 F all year long and you can see where your state taxes go (at least when it comes to aesthetics;education is a whole different story :o ). I am from the Ft.Lauderdale area. We had nice beaches and palm trees. If you go even further down south you hit the Miami beach area (there is really no other city like Miami, its very original. Just be careful not to find yourself in the ghetto side of Miami though lol). Not to mention the Keys are absolutely gorgeous. I've never really had a good visit to the west side of Florida since I only went to Tampa for an amusement park called Busch Gardens but from what I saw, it was a nice place.

It is both dirty and rainy. But these things are the least of your worries.

Florida is a perilous place. If the giant vampire bloodsucking mosquitos don't get you, the mutant alligators and radioactive cockroaches certainly will. In Florida all nature is hell bent on destroying you - from obscenely hot weather to devastating hurricanes.

But nature is only the beginning of your woes. If you enter Florida you next must deal with the populace. Truly it is a wretched hive of scum and villainy... you must be cautious. Surely you have already heard of Casey Anthony. What you probably have not heard of is the recent zombie uprising that is sweeping across the lower half of the state. That is why the Walking Dead TV show will soon film most of its show in Florida - why waste money on makeup when you can film actual zombies?

It must be recommended that if you are the faint of heart you should avoid Florida at all costs. It is the Mordor of the USA. You might want to try visiting a more hospitable land, like Antarctica.

Moved to the Tampa/Clearwater area from up north 15 yrs ago. I like it, seem to be in a pretty sweet spot as far as hurricanes go, nothing bad to deal with so far. I like the area it's not just the elderly, nice mix of people and cultures, rains during the summer a lot at times, but in almost predictable patterns, usually hot and sunny all day then heavy rain in the late afternoons but for only like 15-20mins, then back comes the sun. Professional football, baseball and hockey in the local area. And F#@$ zombies, come at us.

The northern half of Florida is culturally part of "the South", which is very different from the more international Southern half of the state. Think Alabama. The Southern half has a very diverse population. The "panhandle" (the Western part) is more Southern, but has a huge tourist industry.

It's terrible during hurricane season. But otherwise, the climate is fairly nice.

I don't care much for theme parks. Too expensive. But they're almost all centered in Orlando. So, it's not like the whole state is full of them.

I should also add that the worst drivers in America seem to live in Florida. This may have something to do with it being a popular place for old people to retire to.

I agree with all of this. I've lived in Pensacola , Florida for the last three years and it may as well be considered Alabama. There's really nice beaches , but it's not very exciting. The driving situation is terrible. The traffic isn't too heavy but people constant pull in front of you without looking. There's a lot of hurricane and tornado warnings , but I haven't dealt with any devastation yet.

I've been to Disney World and it's very nice. I'm sure Orlando has run down sections , but it doesn't seem that bad ( except for the toll booths). Stay away from Miami though , far far away.

HUMID with a side of humid. Satan's ball sack humid. And the cockroachs are an affront to all things holy. Fist sized hissing thngs who aren't afraid to let you know that they will be taking over your place. You can stay or move. They do not care which. Hot like the fires of hell which with the humidity makes going outside somewhat like drowning. Either way you can't breathe.

Last edited:

ThunderCrack is 100 % right. The northern part of the state is more " southern " while the southern part is multi-cultural. Like any state, it has it's good and bad parts. In my opinion, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Ft. Lauderdale are pretty decent places. But once you hit West Palm beach, and Miami,you run into major drug import territory.

It is both dirty and rainy. But these things are the least of your worries.

Florida is a perilous place. If the giant vampire bloodsucking mosquitos don't get you, the mutant alligators and radioactive cockroaches certainly will. In Florida all nature is hell bent on destroying you - from obscenely hot weather to devastating hurricanes.

But nature is only the beginning of your woes. If you enter Florida you next must deal with the populace. Truly it is a wretched hive of scum and villainy... you must be cautious. Surely you have already heard of Casey Anthony. What you probably have not heard of is the recent zombie uprising that is sweeping across the lower half of the state. That is why the Walking Dead TV show will soon film most of its show in Florida - why waste money on makeup when you can film actual zombies?

It must be recommended that if you are the faint of heart you should avoid Florida at all costs. It is the Mordor of the USA. You might want to try visiting a more hospitable land, like Antarctica.
Dammit, beat me to it.

Actually, I went to Disney World two years back with the family and it was a great experience. Really clean facilities, great rides (except Great Mpvie Ride....and I admit, I miss the old Star Tours.), so overall I had a pretty good amount of fun.

ThunderCrack is 100 % right. The northern part of the state is more " southern " while the southern part is multi-cultural. Like any state, it has it's good and bad parts. In my opinion, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Ft. Lauderdale are pretty decent places. But once you hit West Palm beach, and Miami,you run into major drug import territory.

Ah multicultural, that's the word I was looking for.

I remember driving from Miami to Orlando and getting pulled over by the cops because alot of drug runners go along the route.

Also I ended up getting lost in some ghetto in Miami which wasn't good
especially after watching the local news and how often people got shot down there.

Its funny alot of people have the preception it rains alot in London but it actually gets less rainfall than alot of other cities.

The average number of days on which rain falls in London each year is less than in Paris, Santander (Spain) and Wellington (New Zealand.)

London is drier than Rome, New York, Brisbane, Rio de Janeiro, and Tokyo.

The average minimum daily temperature in London is higher than that in Seattle, Dublin and Toronto.

I remember driving from Miami to Orlando and getting pulled over by the cops because alot of drug runners go along the route.

Also I ended up getting lost in some ghetto in Miami which wasn't good
especially after watching the local news and how often people got shot down there.

Its funny alot of people have the preception it rains alot in London but it actually gets less rainfall than alot of other cities.

The average number of days on which rain falls in London each year is less than in Paris, Santander (Spain) and Wellington (New Zealand.)

London is drier than Rome, New York, Brisbane, Rio de Janeiro, and Tokyo.

The average minimum daily temperature in London is higher than that in Seattle, Dublin and Toronto.

This isn't about you! :argh:

:oldrazz:

It gets a bad rap in media, same as Jersey does. It's like a running joke for it to just be this insane place, but like most places it varies depending on where you go. Now Miami pretty much is like you see on tv shows. Yes, that includes all the Michael Bay like cinematography.

It gets a bad rap in media, same as Jersey does. It's like a running joke for it to just be this insane place, but like most places it varies depending on where you go. Now Miami pretty much is like you see on tv shows. Yes, that includes all the Michael Bay like cinematography.
No, Florida is really that messed up. Most of the state is like one long cross-over episode of Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty.

Tourists tend to be kept away from those places. Like when Americans go to Mexico.

I've been all around Florida. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville. Also, Sannibel/Capitva, St. Augustine and Amelia Island.

I'm sure there are crappy areas especially in the first few cities, but I'm usually visiting family, going on cruises or going for a few days in some of the touristy places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"