• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superman Returns Forget The Godfather????

well me personally im more likely to prefer SR to the Godfather, i mean yeah GF was a good film and all but i just didnt think it was THAT GOOD.

Im not sayin superman will be better just that i'd probably prefer to watch it over the Godfather any day.

VGPOP said:
We will all answer that question June 30 (at least USA/Canada)

I'll probably be watching it on June 28th. :):up::up::up::supes:

The Guard said:
Go look at the top 1000 films of all time. Come back and think about why that's a ridiculous statement.

By what standard? You can't go by IMDB, that's just a populist website who's ratings are completely skewed by the fact that it's largely driven by films that people are most likely to see versus gems like international and indie films that are given rare publicity or rarely played. If you take the usual #1 or #2 on there as Shawshank (which often switches place with the Godfather)...Shawshank was a complete failure at the box office and nobody ever watched it until years later when they started playing it on weekend afternoons on cable networks and it suddenly became a massive hit and people began to click vote a lot a imdb.com

I prefer this website:
http://www.theyshootpictures.com/index.htm
which uses 1,193 critics, reviewers, scholars, filmmakers, etc. in their reviews, books, publications, polls, etc.

The original Superman is rated #782 - The first groundbreaking major motion picture Superhero. Previous Superhero films were low-budget TV adaptations or serial plays. Superman II isn't even ranked and neither is Tim Burton's Batman. In fact, no other Superhero film is listed.

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_ranking901-1000.htm

And you go by the list of films ranked 901-1000, I admit I haven't seen them all as there are plenty of obscure films or old classic films that are hard to come by and are rarely played, but I recgonize about 1/2 of those that I have seen and what from I've seen of Superman Returns, I can't place it anywhere in that list. The only populist films you see there like Jurassic Park #904 and Who Framed Roger Rabbit #915 and Nightmare on Elm Street #958 have their place there as being major groundbreakers in film history. The first two for technical achievement for the first major hits using integration of CG and cartoon with live action and the last for being a monument in the horror genre. I don't see Superman Returns breaking any new ground.

Think about how ridiculous this thread is for presuming that Superman Returns could even feature in this echelon of films. I'm sure even Bryan Singer would agree. By the way, The Usual Suspects is #730. Assuming that the Godfather is the best film ever is also stretching it.

Spare-Flair said:
By what standard? You can't go by IMDB, that's just a populist website who's ratings are completely skewed by the fact that it's largely driven by films that people are most likely to see versus gems like international and indie films that are given rare publicity or rarely played. If you take the usual #1 or #2 on there as Shawshank (which often switches place with the Godfather)...Shawshank was a complete failure at the box office and nobody ever watched it until years later when they started playing it on weekend afternoons on cable networks and it suddenly became a massive hit and people began to click vote a lot a imdb.com

I prefer this website:
which uses 1,193 critics, reviewers, scholars, filmmakers, etc. in their reviews, books, publications, polls, etc.

The original Superman is rated #782 - The first groundbreaking major motion picture Superhero. Previous Superhero films were low-budget TV adaptations or serial plays. Superman II isn't even ranked and neither is Tim Burton's Batman. In fact, no other Superhero film is listed.

And you go by the list of films ranked 901-1000, I admit I haven't seen them all as there are plenty of obscure films or old classic films that are hard to come by and are rarely played, but I recgonize about 1/2 of those that I have seen and what from I've seen of Superman Returns, I can't place it anywhere in that list. The only populist films you see there like Jurassic Park #904 and Who Framed Roger Rabbit #915 and Nightmare on Elm Street #958 have their place there as being major groundbreakers in film history. The first two for technical achievement for the first major hits using integration of CG and cartoon with live action and the last for being a monument in the horror genre. I don't see Superman Returns breaking any new ground.

Think about how ridiculous this thread is for presuming that Superman Returns could even feature in this echelon of films. I'm sure even Bryan Singer would agree. By the way, The Usual Suspects is #730. Assuming that the Godfather is the best film ever is also stretching it.

Um, excuse me but this thread is not assuming either of those things, nor am I, they are things implied by the peopl in the clip at the link provided in the very first post.

Can people please start actually seeing what a thread is about before posting in it rather then making assumption. If it is discusing something from a provided link, then go look at that link first too.

As for the Godfather, it is generaly accepted as one of the greatest films ever made. There is certainly no great cemented conesus on which is number one, but Godfather, Citizen, Casablanca and Shawshank are generally accepted as the major contenders.

Now, as for SR's potential to get on said list's, I do truely believe it is possible. From the sounds and looks of things as they are coming, it will almost deffnately be a phenomnal film. Oppinions about suits and story choices asid (I still have my problems with them) there will likely be no denying that the film as a whole will be incredible.

Just because it has it's source in modern "funny books" does not make it unable to be a film first and foremost.

If this movie as a whole is as good as the first hour of Superman the movie, then i think we`ll have a winner!

^How right you are!! But where the first might have had its campy moments, I thinks RETURNS will have erased those very minor flaws.

gdw said:
Um, excuse me but this thread is not assuming either of those things, nor am I, they are things implied by the peopl in the clip at the link provided in the very first post.

Can people please start actually seeing what a thread is about before posting in it rather then making assumption. If it is discusing something from a provided link, then go look at that link first too.

As for the Godfather, it is generaly accepted as one of the greatest films ever made. There is certainly no great cemented conesus on which is number one, but Godfather, Citizen, Casablanca and Shawshank are generally accepted as the major contenders.

Now, as for SR's potential to get on said list's, I do truely believe it is possible. From the sounds and looks of things as they are coming, it will almost deffnately be a phenomnal film. Oppinions about suits and story choices asid (I still have my problems with them) there will likely be no denying that the film as a whole will be incredible.

Just because it has it's source in modern "funny books" does not make it unable to be a film first and foremost.

Nothing against you or other poster in this thread. It was my response to The Guard's statement that I should go back and check out the top 1000 films and realize how ridiculous it was for me to originally say it would be a stretch for SR to even get into that upper class.

Spare-Flair said:
Nothing against you or other poster in this thread. It was my response to The Guard's statement that I should go back and check out the top 1000 films and realize how ridiculous it was for me to originally say it would be a stretch for SR to even get into that upper class.

It is ridiculous. What you said.

Spare-Flair said:

I prefer this website:

Gosh, it's like a whining box. Between your ragdoll thread and this post, you're strating a trend and it's not wanting what's best for this movie...

Spare-Flair said:
By what standard?
I prefer this website:
Assuming that the Godfather is the best film ever is also stretching it.

I actually followed your link.
Godfather 1 is #7. Which means top 10 according to your preferred source. Stretching it? To quote Lex Luthor from SR, "I don't think so..."

I am not saying that SR will actually be better than Godfather (or Citizen Kane, Vertigo etc.). Just mentioning that Godfather is still one of the "Capo di tutti capi" ;)

He he, 'tutti capi' . . .

bosef982 said:
Gosh, it's like a whining box. Between your ragdoll thread and this post, you're strating a trend and it's not wanting what's best for this movie...

I'm not saying it will be a bad movie or that you won't enjoy it, but I was just stating in counterpoint to this thread that I don't realistically believe this film will be anywhere as near as good to be found near the top of any normal person's movie list. It might be for yours and that's fine.

Yes, I don't want what's best for this film anylonger. I thought that was obvious. I want people to question it, in hopes the sequel will be better. I did have nothing but the best hopes and wishes for it at one time, but after everything we've seen and checking out the scripts and the novelization, I was very disappointed and saddened that it's imminent and unavoidable success will mean the exact same formula for sequel and the franchise. That's good for all of you and bad for me. I'll still pay my good money and watch it.

Spare-Flair said:
I'm not saying it will be a bad movie or that you won't enjoy it, but I was just stating in counterpoint to this thread that I don't realistically believe this film will be anywhere as near as good to be found near the top of any normal person's movie list. It might be for yours and that's fine.

Yes, I don't want what's best for this film anylonger. I thought that was obvious. I want people to question it, in hopes the sequel will be better. I did have nothing but the best hopes and wishes for it at one time, but after everything we've seen and checking out the scripts and the novelization, I was very disappointed and saddened that it's imminent and unavoidable success will mean the exact same formula for sequel and the franchise. That's good for all of you and bad for me. I'll still pay my good money and watch it.

Ummm.... nm not willing to go down this road this evening

It can easily be better than Godfather III. Coppolla should be wacked for that one.:D

So wait let me ask this question. 1193 critics, reviewers etc etc etc, get to decided the best 1000 movies of all time. Where is my opinion on there little shin dig. I vote number best movie of all time( drum roll please) Milo and Otis!!!!

So in short all those 2000 opinions mean um nothing to me

Godfather to me isnt the best movie ever...i prefer usual suspects to godfather, seriously...MY favorite movie ever is Forrest Gump..

Godfather is in my top 10, along with Apocalypse Now, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lawrence of Arabia, Hero, Alone in the Dark, Fight Club, etc.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Godfather is in my top 10, along with Apocalypse Now, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lawrence of Arabia, Hero, Alone in the Dark, Fight Club, etc.
I really hope the "Alone in the Dark" you mention is the one with Jack Palance and Martin Landau and not the Uwe Boll crapfest. If it's the latter then I'll lose any respect I once had for you.

My favorites are Indiana Jones and the last crusade, Forrest Gump, Usual Suspects, the Others, Empire Strikes Back, Superman TM, Terminator 2, Titanic(seriously!)...

skruloos said:
I really hope the "Alone in the Dark" you mention is the one with Jack Palance and Martin Landau and not the Uwe Boll crapfest. If it's the latter then I'll lose any respect I once had for you.

Haha, just wanted to see if people were paying attention. Good eyes. :up:

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Haha, just wanted to see if people were paying attention. Good eyes. :up:
I knew one of those movies didn't fit in the with the rest. :cool:

Some of my favorite movies would include The Godfather, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Empire Strikes Back, The Shawshank Redemption, The Usual Suspects, Casablanca, Fellowship of the Ring, Hero, and Saving Private Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"