Sequels FoX Cinematic Universe

Nice to see posts from 2013 and look back. The moment that the Ot cast were excluded in a dofp sequel, another prequel underperformed.

6d9050ece8986a7af9784ac9831addd4.jpg

<3 <3 <3

From Donner's Vanity Fair article

b-infographic-ben-park-xmen-mutants-future.jpg

Huge ace in the hole FoX isn't exploring. EXCALIBUR! An international X-MEN film with foreign actors portraying foreign characters. I bet a bunch of top talents would love to portray super heroes without using American accent. Make a film for the International market

If McAvoy and rest of the crew won't look older in Supernova, it will be really silly. :D

Speaking of a rising trend of R-rated movies, I could see Gambit done that way.

I'm going to be greiving for a while after Logan.

[/I]Hugh Jackman said a Deadpool appearance was off the table because the timing was wrong. With this franchise, the timing is always wrong.

Hugh will be missed, but it's time to look ahead. Let Wolverine lay dormant for a bit and let the other X-Men shine on films, then, after maybe teasing the character's presence in the upcoming X-Men films, reintroduce the character with a very different actor from Jackman, as Daniel Craig was from Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery.

...let the other X-Men shine on films...

Yes, I think now more than ever we need a movie about the X-Men, about a group of people defending the people that hate and fear them. Hopefully more "God Loves Man Kills" less "Dark Phoenix Saga".

Yes, I find those themes more relevant with today's political craziness, than trying the Phoenix saga again with a team of people that we haven't even seen working together and therefore wouldn't really be heartbroken of seeing falling apart (as "Logan" and "Days of Future Past" have proven, some themes are better to explore much later, and the reward is all the better).

Yes, I find those themes more relevant with today's political craziness, than trying the Phoenix saga again with a team of people that we haven't even seen working together and therefore wouldn't really be heartbroken of seeing falling apart (as "Logan" and "Days of Future Past" have proven, some themes are better to explore much later, and the reward is all the better).

Yeah, but the whole point of doing the Phoenix Saga is so the franchise particularly the main X-Men series can take a break from stories like GLMK.
Themes and plot points, they've referenced plenty even outside of X2.

Yeah, but the whole point of doing the Phoenix Saga is so the franchise particularly the main X-Men series can take a break from stories like GLMK.
Themes and plot points, they've referenced plenty even outside of X2.

Which is something I personally find very weird, the interviews have mentioned that they want to get away from the Xavier-Magneto dynamic because it's been played out a lot, and now you're saying that the themes from God Loves, Man Kills, have been explored in a lot of the movies, yet we had basically all the movies about Wolverine and that apparently never gets old. When I say the themes of GLMK are very relevant in today's landscape, it's because the X-Men at its core are about heroes who defend a world that hates and fears them, and I think lately the x-movies are forgetting about that and shouldn't at this particular time in history, that's what I mean when I mention GLMK, I'm not exactly begging for another go-around with Stryker.

Which is something I personally find very weird, the interviews have mentioned that they want to get away from the Xavier-Magneto dynamic because it's been played out a lot, and now you're saying that the themes from God Loves, Man Kills, have been explored in a lot of the movies, yet we had basically all the movies about Wolverine and that apparently never gets old. When I say the themes of GLMK are very relevant in today's landscape, it's because the X-Men at its core are about heroes who defend a world that hates and fears them, and I think lately the x-movies are forgetting about that and shouldn't at this particular time in history, that's what I mean when I mention GLMK, I'm not exactly begging for another go-around with Stryker.

Well, the whole something terrible happens to Prof X, uniting the X-Men to action as well as Prof X being that powerful doom device.

Yeah, the movies have very much been that at their core, always about that mutant-human struggle. They've softened on it for the prequel reboot trilogy because the intent has been to go in a different direction or be even more subtle on those themes. The Civil Rights thing ended in late 60s and the further we've gone from that, the more accepted people were of each other especially in the 90s to which the next one is supposedly headed.

Well, the whole something terrible happens to Prof X, uniting the X-Men to action as well as Prof X being that powerful doom device.

Yeah, the movies have very much been that at their core, always about that mutant-human struggle. They've softened on it for the prequel reboot trilogy because the intent has been to go in a different direction or be even more subtle on those themes. The Civil Rights thing ended in late 60s and the further we've gone from that, the more accepted people were of each other especially in the 90s to which the next one is supposedly headed.

Which is exactly my main concern, I don't want those subtle themes to disappear from the X-Men all of the sudden, or at the rate they have been disappearing, I think they're very important themes and create a very rich subtext to these movies and they are not a thing of the past (I found them very important in the 90's which is when I started actually reading the X-Men) and I don't want the next movie to be about the Phoenix because I don't think the cast has been established as a proper functioning team, so I don't think they're ready to be fighting Jean and have the emotional resonance it deserves (it's as if "Logan" came out after the first "X-Men" movie, it wouldn't work the same). But then again it's just my opinion.

Il be honest when
Xavier died with logan over him it didn't quite have the emotion punch for me that it did when wolverine died with X23 over him, I actually felt quite heart broken for X23 and saddened that he wasn't gonna make it.

Last edited:
Il be honest when
Xavier died it didn't quite have the emotion punch for me that it did when wolverine died with X23 over him, I actually felt quite heart broken for X23 and saddened that he wasn't gonna make it.

Yeah you can definitely make people heartbroken in one movie. That moment, involving a brand new character, packed the biggest emotional punch. Making people feel for these characters in one movie is very possible. Always down to the execution.

Hugh will be missed, but it's time to look ahead. Let Wolverine lay dormant for a bit and let the other X-Men shine on films, then, after maybe teasing the character's presence in the upcoming X-Men films, reintroduce the character with a very different actor from Jackman, as Daniel Craig was from Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery.

Maybe Daniel Craig can play Wolverine. He's much shorter than Jackman, is built and even though he's pushing 50 it doesn't matter since Wolverine can look older. He'd need a Wolverine wig though, because I can't see him growing his hair into that bouffant style for Logan. I'm not sure if Jackman even uses his real hair anymore except for when his hair is really short as the character.

Il be honest when
Xavier died with logan over him it didn't quite have the emotion punch for me that it did when wolverine died with X23 over him, I actually felt quite heart broken for X23 and saddened that he wasn't gonna make it.

Which is totally respectable
(I on the other hand was devastated at the Xavier moment, and seeing Logan asking for forgiveness going "It wasn't me" over and over again), but again in a way you are proving my point, you may feel sad for X-23, but you are feeling it because of an event that happened to an established character with a history.

What I'm trying to convey is the fact that I don't think that Simon Kinberg has the writing abilities to make me feel as if Alexandra Shipp or Tye Sheridan is conflicted by the fact that she/he has to attack and probably kill Sophie Turner in order to save the world. In TLS no one cared when Cyclops died, Storm wasn't vexed by the fact that her newly-resuscitated friend was working with Magneto, and both the "you're X-Men" speeches from TLS and Apocalypse were pretty much duds. I love the X-Men, I'm very scared for what's to come if it's the Phoenix saga in the hands of Simon Kinberg, it's not a R-rated movie about giant intergalactic firebird, it's about stopping the people you love from becoming something they don't want to be, and Simon Kingberg can't write that

Which is totally respectable
(I on the other hand was devastated at the Xavier moment, and seeing Logan asking for forgiveness going "It wasn't me" over and over again), but again in a way you are proving my point, you may feel sad for X-23, but you are feeling it because of an event that happened to an established character with a history.

Well no because

What hit me most about it was the bond he built up with X23/Laura.

X23 calling him daddy for the first time while in tears as he looked at her through caring eyes. its quite touching that this is the result of the story that started very differently to how it ended.

With Xavier no matter the history there it didn't touch me as much as the bond he built up with this girl in one movie.

Don't get me wrong Xaviers death was sad but i don't think i was more saddened by it because of the previous movies.

Last edited:
Legion isn't even connected to the film series, so it doesn't matter if he plays Xavier or not.

Well no because

What hit me most about it was the bond he built up with X23/Laura.

X23 calling him daddy for the first time while in tears as he looked at her through caring eyes. its quite touching that this is the result of the story that started very differently to how it ended.

With Xavier no matter the history there it didn't touch me as much as the bond he built up with this girl in one movie.

Don't get me wrong Xaviers death was sad but i don't think i was more saddened by it because of the previous movies.

All good, James Mangold made a really great job, and so did the cast. I'm just scared for the rest of the X-Men

What I'm trying to convey is the fact that I don't think that Simon Kinberg has the writing abilities to make me feel as if Alexandra Shipp or Tye Sheridan is conflicted by the fact that she/he has to attack and probably kill Sophie Turner in order to save the world.

That's not a particularly complex concept to put on paper. He and his co-writers managed to do it pretty well in THE LAST STAND when Wolverine had to watch Jean's descent, confront her, and ultimately recognize that he would have to kill her. And Jackman nailed the performance.

Point being: it's not only up to the writer to convince you of the moment, but also the director and actors involved.

That's not a particularly complex concept to put on paper. He and his co-writers managed to do it pretty well in THE LAST STAND when Wolverine had to watch Jean's descent, confront her, and ultimately recognize that he would have to kill her. And Jackman nailed the performance.

Point being: it's not only up to the writer to convince you of the moment, but also the director and actors involved.

He and Zak Penn most definitely did not manage to write pretty much anything well, these movies started with some pretty amazing writing, one of the reasons I still enjoy the original "X-Men" so much is because of the writing (pretty much every Magneto monologue and his conversations with Xavier are some really amazing pieces of writing) and the plot of X2 is a marvel to watch (no pun intended), I do agree that good direction and acting make a picture whole, why start with the wrong foot? Just the pre-opening credits scenes from The Last Stand show Kingberg's main weakeness: The fact that he can't be subtle about anything, he returns to Jean's childhood to tell her to control herself, makes her return to her parents house later in the movie for some absurd reason because the location could have been interchangeable as nothing is even achieved by this with the exception of destroying the house and killing the professor who also told her to control herself, Magneto tries to control her but she realizes and ask if he's trying to control her, it's just terrible lines with terrible dialogue with terrible everything, of course the reason I rewatch the movie at all is because the complete cast of the movies I loved are there, and God knows they tried/collected their paychecks. I wish I could say that with his abilities as a producer and overseer I'm more confident that things can still be good for the next X-Men movie, but people Fant4stic Four happened not so long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"