Fox/DC Moving forward with Gotham Central TV show, will focus on Commisioner Gordon

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
And in the wake of Agents of SHIELD:

EXCLUSIVE: In one of the biggest drama deals this season, after a bidding war, Fox has landed Gotham, from Warner Bros. TV and The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, with a series commitment. For Gotham, Warner Bros TV is mining one of DC Comics‘ most popular character universes, Batman. It explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains who made Gotham City famous. In Gotham, Gordon is still a detective with the Gotham City Police Department and has yet to meet Batman, who will not be part of the series. The Gordon character was introduced in 1939 in the very first Batman comic. Created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane, Commissioner Gordon has appeared in comic books as well as Batman films and series, including in Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, where he was played by Gary Oldman. Along with the Superman franchise, the Batman universe is probably the most prized DC property.

While Superman spawned the long-running series Smallville, this is the first series featuring a character from the world of Batman in a very long time as WBTV had been exploring a Gotham City-set show for more than a year. It is the second high-profile WBTV/DC drama in the works for next season, along with Flash at the CW. In addition to Gotham, WME-repped Heller has the Mars drama Red at the CW. Gotham joins CBS’ sci-fi drama Extant as the two hottest drama projects this season, both sparking bidding wars and landing a series commitment and series order, respectively.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/com...-drama/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So I'm basically expecting this to be like Year One in concept and tone with the Bruce Wayne/Batman bits cut out. lel at Fox still finding ways to give Joss the finger. :lmao:

Looks like WB is busy rushing out TV shows based on DC superhero properties, in an apparent arm's race against Marvel & ABC. And Fox is now playing both sides, with X-Men on the big screen and Gotham on the small screen. Could this be Fox's way of showing Marvel the finger, and not just to Whedon?

Yeah that's actually a good point. Wouldn't surprise me if this is their way of getting a superhero related show on their network that Marvel has likely repeatedly denied them.

Yeah that's actually a good point. Wouldn't surprise me if this is their way of getting a superhero related show on their network that Marvel has likely repeatedly denied them.

Yeah, after that battle between Marvel and Fox over the copyrights of Mutant X (which Fox has won), I'm sure there were some hard feelings between the two companies. And if Marvel has vetoed Fox's attempts to bring X-Men to the network, then this could be their way of getting back at Marvel. By bidding and winning the TV rights of Gotham, I think it probably has a little more than just their faith in the property, but something else underneath the surface.

still not anywhere as big a middle finger as whedon gave dc (flash) and fox in using magneto's mutant (namely quicksilver) offspring.

ЯɘvlveR;26903547 said:
still not anywehre as big a middle finger as whedon gave dc (flash) and fox in using magneto's mutant (namely quicksilver) offspring.

Both Quicksilver and his sister Scarlet Witch have been known as Avengers moreso than their association with X-Men or the off-springs of Magneto. Also, I think Whedon has bigger plans for the siblings than Singer has for just Quicksilver, so I don't see why Whedon or Marvel have anything to feel guilty about. Quite frankly, Quicksilver is ultimately Marvel's creation so if they want to use him, then they have the right to do so.

Looks like WB is busy rushing out TV shows based on DC superhero properties, in an apparent arm's race against Marvel & ABC. And Fox is now playing both sides, with X-Men on the big screen and Gotham on the small screen. Could this be Fox's way of showing Marvel the finger, and not just to Whedon?

That sounds really childish. :o I doubt the heads of FOX see it that way.

Both Quicksilver and his sister Scarlet Witch have been known as Avengers moreso than their association with X-Men or the off-springs of Magneto. Also, I think Whedon has bigger plans for the siblings than Singer has for just Quicksilver, so I don't see why Whedon or Marvel have anything to feel guilty about. Quite frankly, Quicksilver is ultimately Marvel's creation so if they want to use him, then they have the right to do so.

he said he added them to the film because they have cool powers. that doesn't sound like big plans to me. sounds like he just wants to get their with quiksilver before dc does with the flash. antman has cool powers. why isn't he in this? to top it all off, he created ultron who's the antogonist in the film.

and even if they have been avengers, every fan who's as much of a fan of continuity in the films as they are in the comics should find it odd that he'd want to use them, when fox owns the cinematic rights to their father, but also has the right to use them in a film as well. and i say that as someone who's become less of a stickler about continuity. that's just lame to me.

to top it all off, it's singer who's getting guff from fans because he's over at fox and not at marvel like the great whedon. I bet most of the fans giving him crap where as big the fanboys of singer with the first xmen films, before the mcu was even a thought.

ЯɘvlveR;26903547 said:
still not anywhere as big a middle finger as whedon gave dc (flash) and fox in using magneto's mutant (namely quicksilver) offspring.
Hey look, random guy #45748573 who doesn't know what he's talking about. Let me copy pasta from somewhere else to inform you on a few things.

1. In the beginning the twins were not the children of Magneto, they were just orphans, which strengthened their bond. As time went on and Wanda married Vision and Pietro Crystal, Marvel decided they needed to introduce new drama and storylines in the two characters so they made Magneto their father 20 years after their introduction. For the purpose of this movie, Whedon is going for the classic portrayal of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch so them not being able to use Magneto as their father doesn't matter in the first place.

2. Them being mutants barely ever really added an extra layer to their characters on the Avengers, since that book wasn't about discrimination, and was only used as a plot device once to get the twins to leave the Avengers from '68 to '70, and then to set up drama with Pietro and Vision even further down the road. So for the classic Avengers comics, the twins being mutants is little more than an explanation for their powers. They can come up with any number of other reasons for their powers manifesting in the film, like through a perfected Extremis.
Now please don't derail the thread any further with uninformed pettiness.

EDIT:
ЯɘvlveR;26903601 said:
he said he added them to the film because they have cool powers. that doesn't sound like big plans to me. sounds like he just wants to get their with quiksilver before dc does with the flash. antman has cool powers. why isn't he in this? to top it all off, he created ultron who's the antogonist in the film.

and even if they have been avengers, every fan who's as much of a fan of continuity in the films as they are in the comics should find it odd that he'd want to use them, when fox owns the cinematic rights to their father, but also has the right to use them in a film as well. and i say that as someone who's become less of a stickler about continuity. that's just lame to me.

to top it all off, it's singer who's getting guff from fans because he's over at fox and not at marvel like the great whedon. I bet most of the fans giving him crap where as big the fanboys of singer with the first xmen films, before the mcu was even a thought.
Holy crap you have to be a troll. Whedon said, in addition to them having cool powers, that he's adding them to cause trouble for the Avengers as they weren't initially friends of their's. That's their purpose, to bring more pain. They probably won't even join the team until the third act. Whedon announced he was using them first, then Singer announced conspicuously two weeks later that Quicksilver was in his movie. Not saying he wasn't always supposed to be, but that's the way it happened. Marvel has the right to use them just as much as Fox, there's no reason to abstain from it. Magneto being their 20 year removed retcon father does not mean Marvel is pulling a fast one, and if anything it's Fox that can't use the twins to their full effect...and won't, which is clear from Evans appearance in that leaked photo. Now please stop.

Last edited:

Eh. FOX has aired plenty of Warner Bros. series (Fringe, The Following, Almost Human starting in a few months). I don't think there's any particular agenda here...

If the folks at WB are smart they could use this to introduce us to the new version of Batman that we will see in 2015.

Uhh, no. Also, WB/DC has already put out a season of Arrow that was well received on the CW, with a second second starting up soon. Love this little scenario you came up with though, involving a television "arms race" and network studio "revenge". :o

If the folks at WB are smart they could use this to introduce us to the new version of Batman that we will see in 2015.
It says plain and simple in the report that this is pre-Batman Gotham and he won't be in the show...and no that would not be smart.

Hey look, random guy #45748573 who doesn't know what he's talking about. Let me copy pasta from somewhere else to inform you on a few things.
i copy pasted nothing. it's my very own opinion. go change your tampon.
Now please don't derail the thread any further with uninformed pettiness.
pretty sure i wasn't the first to mention whedon. but i get it you're emotional.

Holy crap you have to be a troll. Whedon said, in addition to them having cool powers, that he's adding them to cause trouble for the Avengers as they weren't initially friends of their's. That's their purpose, to bring more pain.
still not a troll. and please and explain to me what in the blue **** they have to do with ultron. explain to me how that doesn't seem tacked on when they're going to be antagonists initial in a film, where they have nothing to do with the big baddie. since you're so dead set on setting me straight, guy.

They probably won't even join the team until the third act. Whedon announced he was using them first, then Singer announced conspicuously two weeks later that Quicksilver was in his movie.
Not saying he wasn't always supposed to be, but that's the way it happened.
so singer should have told everyone every single detail about the film. that would have appeased some of you. good to know. :o

Marvel has the right to use them just as much as Fox, there's no reason to abstain from it.
fox owns the rights to the mutants don't they? seems like it would have bee the honorable thing to respect the continuity.
Magneto being their 20 year removed retcon father does not mean Marvel is pulling a fast one, and if anything it's Fox that can't use the twins to their full effect.
so because their biographies have been retconned, magneto being their father is irrelevant? there's that continuity thing showing up when it's convenient.
Now please stop.
nope.

Last edited:
There were talks about a Gotham PD series that would take place between the aftermath of TDK and before the return of Bats (TDKR). This version of Batman is probably coming out of retirement (just like TDKReturns). This should be a prequel to Batman vs. Superman.

It says plain and simple in the report that this is pre-Batman Gotham and he won't be in the show...and no that would not be smart.

I know my post was long but read again and you'll understand, it's not hard...

The key point here is the word introduce. When I say new Batman I'm talking about his world and new new interpretation Snyder will give us as it's unlikely we will see much more of the new Batman in BvS other than Batman himself.

Yes it says that Batman won't feature but a Bruce Wayne cameo would be all that's needed to establish the connection.

Since Snyder's Batman will be in his prime or possibly older the fourth or fifth season could focus on the new origins of this Batman.

Last edited:
This could work, especially if it has the tone of something like Gotham Central. I'd like to see people like Renee Montoya, Maggie Sawyer, Harvey Bullock, Crispus Allen, Sarah Essen, etc appear. Also, Whedon DIDN'T decide to use Quicksilver just to spite DC, he just didn't, deal with it.

There were talks about a Gotham PD series that would take place between the aftermath of TDK and before the return of Bats (TDKR). This version of Batman is probably coming out of retirement (just like TDKReturns). This should be a prequel to Batman vs. Superman.

Nah... Catwoman without Hathaway. Watered down Penguin or Riddler (potentially). Gary Oldman not returning. It would be terrible. Plus we know for a fact Batman will never make an appearance, and Bruce Wayne is a recluse. Nothing to see there, at all. Now maybe you can do more back story with Bane/Talia and go back and forth between Gotham and that, to give the show a bigger scope. But that would just blow up the budget, and it's still not that interesting, considering how poorly developed Talia was in TDKR.

The key point here is the word introduce. When I say new Batman I'm talking about his world and new new interpretation Snyder will give us as it's unlikely we will see much more of the new Batman in BvS other than Batman himself.

Yes it says that Batman won't feature but a Bruce Wayne cameo would be all that's needed to establish the connection.

Since Snyder's Batman will be in his prime or possibly older the fourth or fifth season could focus on the new origins of this Batman.

I don't need to see watered down TV characters supplementing the Batman backstory in the Synder/Goyerverse. Hell no to that. Do a proper cinematic feature that gets a proper budget and a wide release. Unless the show is JUST about Gordon and friends, and all the villains are C-listers, with maybe one A-list villain like Penguin. I don't need to see Harvey as Two Face, or Black Mask, or Riddler as most of these villains are reflections of Batman.

Last edited:
Nah... Catwoman without Hathaway. Watered down Penguin or Riddler (potentially). Gary Oldman not returning. It would be terrible. Plus we know for a fact Batman will never make an appearance, and Bruce Wayne is a recluse. Nothing to see there, at all. Now maybe you can do more back story with Bane/Talia and go back and forth between Gotham and that, to give the show a bigger scope. But that would just blow up the budget, and it's still not that interesting, considering how poorly developed Talia was in TDKR.

I'm talking about a TV show set in the MOS universe, where Batman's been gone for a while. Prequel to BvsS. Same idea, new universe. Forget the Nolanverse.

How is Black Mask a mirror of Batman. How is Deadshot a mirror of Batman. How is Bane a mirror of Batman, his creators said that he is a dark mirror of Doc Savage.

I'm talking about a TV show set in the MOS universe, where Batman's been gone for a while. Prequel to BvsS. Same idea, new universe. Forget the Nolanverse.

Yeah misread that post, but I still don't see what the show offers other than a standard cop drama. It could still be effective, but I don't think it offers much to that universe without Batman featured. I don't want them butchering origins of classic characters for TV purposes. If they just keep it to mobsters and standard things you see on network TV, I can live with it, even though that may not have the biggest impact.

Since this will be on Fox, it'll probably last at the most three seasons if the ratings are decent.

ЯɘvlveR;26904359 said:
i copy pasted nothing. it's my very own opinion. go change your tampon.
I was talking about myself, which was obvious because I posted a self quote...what is wrong with you

Off-topic:
pretty sure i wasn't the first to mention whedon. but i get it you're emotional.
You obviously have comprehension problems or are choosing to pick what you want to understand, but simply bringing up Whedon is obviously not what I'm talking about, it's bringing in completely unrelated crap into this thread concerning rights and characters you obviously know nothing about and have an opinion on based completely off of pettiness.

still not a troll. and please and explain to me what in the blue **** they have to do with ultron. explain to me how that doesn't seem tacked on when they're going to be antagonists initial in a film, where they have nothing to do with the big baddie. since you're so dead set on setting me straight, guy.
Wow, how about you wait and see how the plot works?? There's seriously something wrong with you if you can't comprehend what constructing a story entails. You don't know if they don't have anything to do with Ultron, because you have not seen the script or movie. It's already clear you're simply set against them being in the movie and are finding any way to delude yourself into thinking Whedon and Marvel are simply doing this to stick it to Fox. "Whedon said they're only in it for their powers!! Oh that's not it? Well they they have nothing to do with Ultron!!!" You've already exposed yourself.

so singer should have told everyone every single detail about the film. that would have appeased some of you. good to know. :o
That is not even the point or what I'm getting at. Nor am I one of those who even think he never had him in the script. But it's easy to see how people take it the wrong way when he waited till they were 2-3 months into production to cast a character just two weeks after Whedon announced the same character was in his movie. Sucks for Singer, but that's how it goes. And that's not the only or even primary reason Singer is getting flack, regardless of if that's how you want to play it off as. The Quicksilver in his movie is pretty much nothing like the one from the comics whatsoever beyond superspeed, and he will clearly have little more than 5-10 minutes of screentime. Singer set himself up for criticism and it's well warranted.

fox owns the rights to the mutants don't they? seems like it would have bee the honorable thing to respect the continuity.
"Honorable thing"?? Right. There's a reason Marvel has the rights to the twins and it's because the vast majority of their history in the comics lies with the Avengers. They've literally been in hundreds of Avengers comics and have barely been in more than a couple handful of X-Men comics. The only reason Fox has rights to them is because they're mutants. If Fox gave a crap about being "honorable" then they wouldn't be trying to use characters who have very little establish history with their related film franchise...but it's not about that. If a studio has rights to use a character then they can use them. And it's clear Fox doesn't care about the history of the twins given what Quicksilver is in DOFP, and a lot of that is because they can't use most of their history.

so because their biographies have been retconned, magneto being their father is irrelevant? there's that continuity thing showing up when it's convenient. nope.
Yes just ignore the context behind everything I posted. As I said explicitly there, my point is that Magento being their father is IRRELEVANT to the twin's history with the Avengers and their classic portrayal. But only people who knew what they were talking about and read the comics would understand this, so I don't expect you to and I'm not going to bother trying to explain it to you again.

And what the hell does continuity even have to do with any of this? The MCU is in a completely different continuity from the comics. Don't use terms you don't understand.
Now I'm done with you because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about on a multitude of levels and likely aren't cooth enough to admit it and accept someone who DOES know what they're talking about correcting you.

So it's my fault that all you say is "introduce Batman" and I don't automatically connect that to you meaning a "Bruce Wayne cameo introducing the world of Batman not Batman himself"? Right. If you're going to use one of my lines to try and be snippy then at least do it in a context that doesn't make you look silly and like you're just trying to mask the fact you changed what you meant after being called out.

And doing a Batman origin in the show AFTER Superman/Batman with no Ben Affleck would be extremely...not smart.

So it's my fault that all you say is "introduce Batman" and I don't automatically connect that to you meaning a "Bruce Wayne cameo introducing the world of Batman not Batman himself"? Right. If you're going to use one of my lines to try and be snippy then at least do it in a context that doesn't make you look silly and like you're just trying to mask the fact you changed what you meant after being called out.

And doing a Batman origin in the show AFTER Superman/Batman with no Ben Affleck would be extremely...not smart.

People have used the term "new batman" since before even TDKR or "new spider-man" new whatever. When people use these phrases they are generally referring to whatever new interpretation will be as a whole which is what I meant, you just didn't understand.

I'm pretty sure I'm not being laughted at, it would be you and your snarky attitude which got you temporarily banned and if it continues will likly get you banned.

Cant say that I am that excited about this. Give me a tv show with some actual heroes that is a semi accurate adaption. Though if it happens I will tune in to see how good it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"