From Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas, Party Down on Starz

Specter313

Ghost of all things X
Reaction score
As stated in the thread title, this new comedy show on Starz is the newest brainchild of Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas. In fact, he's even stuffed the show roster with numerous VM alumni, as both regulars and guest stars. It is about a Hollywood catering comany, Party Down Catering, who is staffed by, of course it being Hollywood, people trying to make it big in the entertainment industry as well as those whose 15 minutes of fame seem to have run out. As I said before, several VM alumni star in the show including Ken Marino(Vinnie Van Lowe), Ryan Hansen(Dick Casablancas), Adam Scott(Mr. Rooks, the statutory teacher), and James Jordan(crazy teaching aide Tim Foyle, and also stars Lizzy Caplan and Jane Lynch. Numerous others will be in guest starring roles throughout the series including Enrico Colantoni(who was in the first ep and who I never really wanted to see that much of if you catch my drift), Jason Dohring and Alona Tal(who will actually be boyfriend/girlfriend in the second ep), Paula Marshall, and Ryan Devlin. Even Veronica herself, Kristin Bell, will be appearing in the season one finale as the *****y head of a rival catering company. And I'm sure we'll see even more familiar faces pop up over the season.

I really liked the first episode. It's not one of those laugh out loud types of comedies where they try going for the cheap laughs every chance they get, but it's a smarter, subtler kinda of funny that you actually want to laugh with.

It shows Friday nights at 10:30 on Starz.

Vinnie and Cliff weren't in veronica mars enough!

Vinnie and Cliff weren't in veronica mars enough!

Agreed.

Also Jane Lynch played a teacher in season one of VM so that just ups the alumni total with another coming in the third episode. Plus there are some writers from VM back and has Paul Rudd as a writer.

Can't get the show here in Canada but will find a way to do. The third episode is supposed to be the best of the first three sent to critics.

Agreed.

Also Jane Lynch played a teacher in season one of VM so that just ups the alumni total with another coming in the third episode. Plus there are some writers from VM back and has Paul Rudd as a writer.

Can't get the show here in Canada but will find a way to do. The third episode is supposed to be the best of the first three sent to critics.

I believe imdb has the first episode on their site, and I think that if you have a Netflix account, you may be able to watch it directly on their site as well.

Full Episode
[YT]xSs-pJ5qX6c[/YT]

Last edited:
Sounds like its got potential. Could be another Arrested Development if they can ever get away from Friday Nights... I mean... Friday Nights on Starz? That doesn't sound like much of a shot.

I watched it on Starz.com, mainly because Lizzy Caplan was in it. :heart:

I thought it was pretty funny, especially the guy trying to get the stain off his pants in the daughter's bedroom.

Sounds like its got potential. Could be another Arrested Development if they can ever get away from Friday Nights... I mean... Friday Nights on Starz? That doesn't sound like much of a shot.

True but it probably wouldn't do that great on Sundays against HBO and Showtime's shows.

Third episode was great, from start to finish it never lagged and definitely needed the stripper nudity to help with all the seniors. Surprised they went straight to Henry/Casey hooking up in the third episode.

Someone needs to write the Edgar Allen Poe comic book where he fights vampires with a young Abe Lincoln.

Anyone else still watching. Developed into a great show and takes advantage of being on pay cable.

MEGAN MULLALLY SET TO ‘PARTY DOWN’
Multi-Emmy® Winner Joins Cast of Starz’ Critically Acclaimed Original Comedy, Returning for its Second Season in Spring 2010

Burbank, CA. – September 2, 2009 – Starz keeps the “Party” hopping and the laughs flowing with the addition of one of television and film’s most beloved comediennes, Megan Mullally, to the cast of the crowd-pleasing original comedy series, “Party Down,” Starz Media EVP Originals Productions and Development Bill Hamm announced today. Production on the second season begins in mid-September in Los Angeles. The half-hour comedy about a Los Angeles catering team – Hollywood wannabes stuck working for tips while hoping for their big break -- is tentatively scheduled to return to the air on Starz in April of 2010.

Mullally (“Will & Grace,” Fame) will play Lydia Dunfree, a middle-aged refugee from a lousy marriage who leaves small town life to move to Hollywood where her 13-year-old daughter Escapade hopes to make it as an actress. While the younger endures the audition process, her naïve and eternally optimistic mother Lydia feels honored just to be among the show business “pros” of the Party Down catering company. Her search for Mr. Right only complicates matters for Lydia, but ups the laughs on the show.

She joins a talented ensemble of actors on the comedy, labeled “a must-see” by USA Today and called “straight-up funny” by Entertainment Weekly. As the first season ended, Ron Donald (Ken Marino), the aggressively dysfunctional former leader of the Party Down Catering company, was headed off to manage a Soup N’ Crackers franchise; leaving one-time actor Henry Pollard (Adam Scott) to fill the void as leader; Roman DeBeers (Martin Starr) a self-proclaimed Sci Fi visionary, was still trying to get his screenplay noticed – by anyone; while actor, musician and all round cute guy Kyle Bradway (Ryan Hansen) landed a role in an upcoming action film; and Henry’s flame Casey (Lizzy Caplan) left him at the catered altar to do a few months of stand-up on a cruise ship.

Also returning for the second season are the show’s creators and executive producers: Rob Thomas (“Veronica Mars,” “Cupid”) along with John Enbom, Paul Rudd and Dan Etheridge. Starz Media, the production and distribution sibling of the Starz premium entertainment channels, is producer of the series.

“I’m so excited to be joining ‘Party Down,’ one of my favorite TV shows,” Mullally said. “I’m a big fan of the series and really thrilled to have an opportunity to work with such a terrific cast and talented group of writers.”

“Megan is quite simply one of the most talented actresses in the entertainment business today,” Hamm said. “Her impeccable comic timing and multi-faceted acting skills make her a great fit for the show, and we can’t wait to see how she interacts with the show’s terrific cast.”

Mullally won two Emmys® for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, and was nominated for another five, for her breakout role on the hit comedy series “Will & Grace.” The role also earned her four Golden Globe nominations, four Screen Actors Guild Awards (and an additional three nominations), and more kudos. Other notable TV credits include “The Ellen Burstyn Show,” the TV movie “Winchell” and her daytime talk show “The Megan Mullally Show.” She has a key part in the upcoming feature film Fame, and performs a song on the feature’s soundtrack.

Equally accomplished as an actress and singer, Mullally made her Broadway debut in the 1994 revival of “Grease” and earned rave reviews starring as Rosemary opposite Matthew Broderick in the hit revival of “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” Most recently, she drew critical raves for her role in “The Receptionist” at Los Angeles’ Odyssey Theater.

Anyone else watching the new season? It still isn't up there with the funniest shows, it has some really funny moments but there is something about the cast that makes it enjoyable to watch.

It could be the last with the former head of HBO programming coming into Starz and half the cast potentially on network shows this fall, but they've already lost Jane Lynch, the cast can still adapt.

Those were some vile pit stains on Ron and Mullally's character is a great addition, better than Lynch's character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"