Gambit's Powahs?!

TNC9852002

Banned User
Reaction score
How would you think Gambit's kinetic charge should look without looking too,..abstract?..

Ultimate_X-Men_Gambit.jpg

I think one of the most realistic ways of making it look is to make whatever he's charging up to appear to be covered with a transparent swirling aurora or mist (similar to liquid nitrogen). If not, then think about what happens to air when gas is being evaporated (something like the haze you see around the hood of your car on a hot day). While this is happening, there should be an ascending sizzling sound (i.e., lighting a fuse), and when an object is about to explode, or like if Gambit’s throwing an object, a super-fast small flash of bright white light should crackle around the object, followed by an explosion.

250px-Newgambit.jpg

That's one way to look at it realistically, because its pretty likely that it wont look like some flaming purple or pink glow, but how a potential explosive reaction would look like.

remy.jpg

But wait TNC, aren't Cyclops' blasts red in the movie like in the comics? Why should Gambit's kinetic energy be any different? Well, we've seen Gambit's colorful kinetic energy change throughout the series...It's been red, purple, yellow, orange,..whatever..On that, I was thinking since there hasn't been much of a real consistency between the look, unlike Cyclops, it won't be too much of a translation stretch if the movie portrayed them as having a more realistic look (also, we have scientific references for what a potential explosion looks like, but nothing for an optic blast other than the comics themselves. :p ). After all, even though Cyclops' beams were totally bright red in the comics, they were slightly altered a bit to give them a more natural, untamed look..

I dunno..It could be really cool...

Should there be a change or not?

Here's another good idea that I'm having. Watch this video:

Now, imagine that the lighter is Gambit's fingers/hands and above that, he's holding a card. I would also like something like that, but right before a real flame is generated (like at 00:08), the object should stay in a perpetual state of ignition, as to represent kinetic energy being stored until Gambit sets it to evaporate the energy as a gas or to let it ignite, exploding the object. I like the idea of having it a natural colorless flame or orange or red, but maybe the SFX can add in a small hint of purple as to not confuse the viewers thinking he's like Pyro.

-TNC

they should glow like things do in ultra violet lighting. But glow slightly purple and also sizzle...

the sound effect from the 90s cartoon as cliche as it may sound is pretty much perfect.

I like the idea of perhaps only having them glow if they are really heavily charged so gambit may place some items down to explode and they don't draw attention to themselves. maybe these items would only glow under UV lighting also.

Perhaps they should make UV a spectrum of lighting that wolverine can naturally see with his enhanced vision so he is always aware of when gambit is charging something.

I would quite like to see gambit lighting a cigarrete with a charged card though and perhaps giving it to wolverine just to see it explode in his face....

The sound effect in the cartoon was brilliant.

Now, how awesome would it be if they had access to that sound effect or could replicate it exactly?

-TNC

I'd like something fairly simple, yet noticeable. I'm thinking waves of small sparks that quickly move up/across the object on opposite ends starting from his hand/fingers to the end of the object where the two sets of sparks meet - which signifies that the charge is fully complete. And once those sparks meet, the effect would pretty much be finished too; the object would, for the most part, remain looking the same as it did before it was charged. Except for a few details that may glow. I think it'd be nifty if the sparks would be white with the same color red as his eyes, only much brighter.

I've thought about this before, and I really don't know how they'll approach it. My guess is that we may not see Gambit's typical pink/purple representation of kinetic energy, as we didn't see Jean Grey's typical pink/blue representation of her telekinetic and telepathic powers. We may see a little something but not much in that regard... They'll probably attempt to make it more realistic, and I'm sure the sound effects will be interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the effects artists tackle his powers though.

Yeah, that's an interesting point. Jean's and Magneto's powers were entirely environmental/mental, Cyclop's was physical. Gambit's is physical/mental/environmental. With that, I'm sure it'll be very subtle like the others, as natural as possible. That's why I tried to look at the science at what something would look like if it was being ignited by some sort of invisible external chemical reaction from Gambit's hands, like a lighter or something.

-TNC

Yeah, that's an interesting point. Jean's and Magneto's powers were entirely environmental/mental, Cyclop's was physical. Gambit's is physical/mental/environmental. With that, I'm sure it'll be very subtle like the others, as natural as possible. That's why I tried to look at the science at what something would look like if it was being ignited by some sort of invisible external chemical reaction from Gambit's hands, like a lighter or something.

-TNC

Actually, it might be more of a sound effect than anything else.

the effect may be represented best by a sound effect...

I have no idea about the sound effects. Haha. It's hard for me to imagine anything other than The Animated Series sound effect.

You could be onto something TOB.

As far as I know, most chemical reactions are determined by a visual yield of a gas, liquid, or solid. I'm just not very experienced in what something is supposed to look like in real life when it's being "charged" other than an explosive charge and even when that happens, we don't "see" the charge. It just blows up.

So, realistically, there wouldn't be much of a visual effect at all. But, at the same time, it's a movie, so, they might do something very subtle. Just something to let the viewers know that Gambit's charging something.

This moves on to another subject of whether or not Gambit's eyes should only be red and black while he's charging or doing any kind of accelerated physical activity.

-TNC

I liked the sound effect they used in the TAS too. Gambit's cards having a purplish/pink glow to them after they are charged and before they explode would be awesome. :up:

It could be a combo of that and the way they showed Ted Sprague powers on Heroes?:huh:

glassbubblingzz9.jpg

i never thought of purple dust on explosions, that could be pretty cool...

maybe purple flame with sound effect, that could work

I remember back in the Wolverine/Gambit mini series, the colorist gave Gambit's power a bright blue glow...which looked superb. I think that could work well on film.

51RTBZV7GHL._AA240_.jpg

7182-51310-1-wolverine--gambit-_150.jpg

no! stick with the classic red glow

I was thinking the red would match the eyes.

As long as there's no pink...

Keep it simple. A slight sizzle noise + vibrations. Depending on what the character's role will be but if he's a thief and values his stealth there's no reason for the charging itself to be a big flashy efect. The explosion however, has to be! It also has to be evident that he doesn't heat up the object, he charges it with kinetic energy.

this actually brings up a question.

if gambit can charge up something's kinetic energy, could he charge up quicksilver to make him run quicker?

Gotta have the stick, the trenchcoat and the glowing cards.

Well I don't know how Quicksilver's power work, but I don't think so. Like TNC said, Gambit's powers are environmental, working on a molecular level. I don't think kinetic energy is the same thing as momentum.

I think a bigger question then the look of the charge is the decision on how big the explosion of a single card is. The worst part about Gambit in TAS is how inconsistant his card explosions were. I know its just a cartoon aimed towards a younger crowd but when fighting sentinals Gambit was uber powerful (taking heads off with a single card) but when throwing it at the ground against humans it sometimes looked like he threw a firecracker rather then an explosion. If an individual card of gambits produces a grenade like effect I will be highly impressed. I just dont want to see a gimped gambit is all.

Hold it mister. We don't even know if he is going to be throwin cards. :rolleyes: They could get rid of that aspect, and just have him pick up a random card at some point and charge it just as a nod to the fans. Besides, maybe cartoon Gambit could simply dose the charge within the cards. Sometimes there was a simple boom, other times there was a BIG boom.

I think a bigger question then the look of the charge is the decision on how big the explosion of a single card is. The worst part about Gambit in TAS is how inconsistant his card explosions were. I know its just a cartoon aimed towards a younger crowd but when fighting sentinals Gambit was uber powerful (taking heads off with a single card) but when throwing it at the ground against humans it sometimes looked like he threw a firecracker rather then an explosion. If an individual card of gambits produces a grenade like effect I will be highly impressed. I just dont want to see a gimped gambit is all.

You do realize that Gambit can choose how much boom he applies to an object right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"