Gamer Claims Identifying As a Lesbian Led To Xbox Live Ban

adam-red

Civilian
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has seen this but I read this on Slashdot

Goatbert writes "I just read on the Consumerist about an XBOX Live user being banned for identifying herself as a lesbian. Despite appeals, Microsoft has stood by its position that merely mentioning that you are gay or lesbian is grounds for terminating your XBOX Live membership."
http://consumerist.com/5160187/identifying-yourself-as-a-lesbian-gets-you-banned-on-xbox-live

I makes you wonder eh? Well...I suppose that's one way to cancel your account.

Microsoft has a response.

Expression of any sexual orientation (straight or gay or otherswise (sic)) is not allowed in gamertags.

However we've heard from the user base they want that capability, so I am examining how we can provide it in a way that wont get misused.

I can't say any more at the moment, except to say I'm working right now in finding a way to safely express relationship preference.

http://kotaku.com/5160677/microsoft-looking-to-change-xbox-live-sexual-discrimination

Odd. To say the least.

As I understand it, it wasn't in her gamertag, it was in her profile, which is specifically there to let people inform others about themselves. Sexual orientation is kind of a big part of who people are in most cases. Is it illegal to mention your wife or husband in the profiles as well, 'cause otherwise that's blatant discrimination, especially since they banned her and apparently did nothing to the people who were following her around and calling her names. :huh:

MS says that listing your sexual orientation is against the TOS, regardless of the orientation. If she hadnt of put that in her profile or talked about in a match, ppl wouldnt have followed her around yapping. If youre a homosexual, keep that to yourself, if you are a heterosexual, keep it to yourself. We dont need that info.

Only, I'm sure Microsoft doesn't ban anyone for mentioning they have a wife or husband or aren't gay. I understand MS is within their rights since Live is a privately owned service, but that's still discrimination to me.

Only, I'm sure Microsoft doesn't ban anyone for mentioning they have a wife or husband or aren't gay. I understand MS is within their rights since Live is a privately owned service, but that's still discrimination to me.

Oh well. Just dont mention any of that and everyone will be fine.

Maybe this is why Rockstar included a schlong in GTA:TLAD instead of breasticles.

J/k... But this is effed up. If it's true, it's definitely annoying.

Also, if it's true, why aren't people being banned for accusing others of or speaking about homosexual/heterosexual relations?

Because then 90% of Live would be banned.

True. Even moreso if we banned every person who's made a your mom joke, pre-pubescent boys who get mistaken for girls, and girls who get hit on just for speaking in a room filled with guys.

XBox Live is great.

True. Even moreso if we banned every person who's made a your mom joke, pre-pubescent boys who get mistaken for girls, and girls who get hit on just for speaking in a room filled with guys.

XBox Live is great.
Yeah, that's why I rarely play games online with people I don't already know.

Yeah, that's why I rarely play games online with people I don't already know.

Yea, I'm with you. I never play without a friend. I always play better with friends as well, dont know why, guess i kind of know their strengths and weaknesses, plus they communicate.

This is a new level of homophobia I thought we'd never reach. Now homosexual males and females can't play their video games online?

:rolleyes:

o that's just friggin ridiculous, strait people don't even know half the time when they mention there sexual orientation... if microsoft wants to ban something, ban something integral like all the immature brats on live anyway.

Again, they can't do that because that'd be 90% of Live's membership gone in one fell swoop. :)

After I saw the youtube of the kid whining about chocolate milk during a Rainbow Six 3 match, I wrote off xbox live

The down side to being the most popular online gaming service: there's all kinds of people on there. :(

But if you was her, would you take legal action? Maybe someone else'll do it for her....

But if you was her, would you take legal action? Maybe someone else'll do it for her....

If it specifically states in the TOS that you can't mention sexual orientation, then there aren't really any grounds to sue.

If she could find instances of straight people stating their orientation and not getting banned, she could sue for discrimination regardless of what the ToS say.

Ahhh, Nintendo and your Friend Codes....they knew all along they were the future.

Since when do video games warrant a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"