GameStop Corp..

Benstamania

Go away.
Reaction score
Not sure where I should put this...was going to throw it up in general but I figured it's game related...so why the heck not.

Anywhoo...GameStop just went from treating their employee's like absolute s*** to whatever is lower then s***. Now we are being FORCED to explain to you...the customer, about the Edge card. I don't mean just explain, I mean bug the crap out of you about it...and if we don't have a certain number by the end of the week we get wrote up. If you get wrote up 3 times you will be "fired". Now, my manager insists that it's just a fear tactic (the firing part) but I still think threatening your employees is a bad, BAD way to go about "fixing" things...more so as the Holiday season approaches.

I myself got the company 8 or so preorders about two weeks ago, and was called to the back, I was expected to get a pat on the back, sadly my manager said she had to "write me up." I was a bit shocked so, of course I asked why and she said my "subs were to low..." Um...ok, but I just got the store a crap ton of preorders...the thing we were being forced to do before this...

Well, now that's not good enough for GameStop...why? Because they're getting a new Edge card system! Every dollar you spend you get 10 points! WOO! ...What can you do with the points?! Well.... No one really knows as of yet because our store (at least) hasn't really been told.

How do you sell something you have no idea about GameStop? Really? Also, instead of building up a good returning customer base you'd rather have me drive them out of the store by shoving the Edge card down their throat?

I've been in sales for 8+ years now and I KNOW what the customer likes. I KNOW they don't liked to be jumped on as soon as they walk in the door, I KNOW they don't want me to blabber on about our "disk protection" and I KNOW they don't want me to shove the Edge card down their throat...

I do my job however and I cover all of that, I ask the same customer several times if they need help (because if I don't the manager may have to tell me to ask them again) I make them aware about our "disk scratch protection plan" and our over priced "warranty" on systems. I also make sure to ramble off a list the length of my arm about up coming games they may want to "just put five bucks down on" and then, I top it all off by asking them if they know about our "Edge card trade in policy!"

But none of this is enough for GameStop, see. My 8 or more preorders (I only worked 3 days that week...so..that's an impressive number IMHO, and even the manager agreed to that...) is no longer enough because now I'm not getting at least 3 subs a week...which, in a freaking recession is darn near impossible.

I'm all for doing my job, in fact I really used to like the company...back when actual gamers worked for them. Back when EB games and GameStop were two separate stores and you could go to one and get a trade in offer and take it to the other store, tell them what you got and they gave you more....back when the company cared not only about the employee but also saw the customer as more then just a dollar sign.

So the next time you're in GS, or EB and you're getting annoyed with all the questions coming your way about wanting this, or that...take some time, breath and relax and remember the employee is just trying to keep his job. :-\

*sigh*

Sorry for the rant, I don't mean to come off as a cry baby...I'm just sick of this company. I need to find another job....soon.

i know the feeling man

i used to work at Macys and they would always make us bug the hell out of cutomers to open an account with the store

customers do not like getting bugged. i would only ask them once if they needed help with anything or if they were interested in opening an account, and if they said no i would leave them alone. supposedly we have to stop bugging them until we get 3 no's :whatever: but screw that. many times i've had customers come to me to help them because of other associates annoying them

i know that when i go out to a store, i do not like getting hassled.

Looks like ill be getting canned soon then, i hardly EVER get a customer to buy an EDGE card. I ask ONCE, if the customer says no, i drop it. Period. I never push it. I dont see any benefits from selling those things, im being paid min wage, why should i care?

My manager hasnt said anything about this new system tho and being written up for lack of subs. Its possible he might say something when i go into work this weekend, but maybe your store is just one of the lower ranked stores? I know our store is fairly highly ranked in terms of the overall company.

Last edited:
You should care because it makes GameStop money! Money you'll never, ever see...but still...MONEY!!!

They matter, you don't.

You should care because it makes GameStop money! Money you'll never, ever see...but still...MONEY!!!

They matter, you don't.

Thats what im saying. I dont care about that company outside of my paycheck. I dont get any kick backs from helping them make more money by selling those unnecessary edge cards.

Indeed.

If we got some form of commission I MIGHT be compelled to bug the crap out of a customer as at least I would get SOMETHING out of it. Just bugging them because GreedStop tells me to...well...screw 'em.

Indeed.

If we got some form of commission I MIGHT be compelled to bug the crap out of a customer as at least I would get SOMETHING out of it. Just bugging them because GreedStop tells me to...well...screw 'em.

Oh if we got a commission for selling those things id be all over it, but asking the customer to spend an EXTRA 15 bux when they are already spending a fair amount can be a tough sell and can sometimes lead to lost future sales if you arent careful. I try to treat my customers the way i want to be treated, most of the time when im buying a game, im in a hurry to get my ass home to play it and i dont feel like hearing about the newest 15 games that are coming out.

Yeah, the thing I learned from being in sales so long is that the big bosses of the company don't give a crap about the customer, or how you would like to be treated as a customer.

The customer is a dollar. The employee is a way to GET that dollar.

....In short, GameStop and other big time companies are Mr. Krabs.

Yeah, the thing I learned from being in sales so long is that the big bosses of the company don't give a crap about the customer, or how you would like to be treated as a customer.

The customer is a dollar. The employee is a way to GET that dollar.

....In short, GameStop and other big time companies are Mr. Krabs.

Haha pretty much. I found it kind of funny tho how you said gamestop has gone down hill, in part due to the fact they arent really hiring gamers anymore. Well thats kinda what they did with our store. Our manager barely plays games at all, but he's got a good business mind. Now the rest of the employees, thats a diff story, but our manager couldnt really care less about Halo or Uncharted, all he cares about is that the "walls are straight". I swear if i have to rearrange the walls one more damn time im quitting.

I read a good article a few weeks ago basically saying how Gamestop will go the way of Blockbuster. Being the largest company within a particular industry that goes into bankruptcy fairly rapidly.

People used to refer to GS and EB (when they were separate) as FGBG...For Gamers, By Gamers.

When GameStop started refusing trades/selling classic games, DC games and Xbox games is when they started to go down hill...and I was there for that. The ONLY reason they still take trades on PS2 and sell PS2 games is because they get HUGE numbers on PS2 trades.

I can not WAIT for the day when GS stops taking/selling PS2 games...but hopefully I'm working elsewhere at that point in time. :p

That sucks dude. I was an assistant manager at a GS in my home town when it first opened up back in 05. They told me way back that that is what they wanted, "subscriptions, and reservations." They wanted you to be like a used car salesmen. I never did it, because I could not stand being like that. But after I quit, they just got worse it seemed, and now everyone goes to Best Buy.

That sucks though man, GS is not a good corp in my view.

EDIT: In my personal view I miss Software Ect and so forth. I remember the days when all games were new, and a few pre-played games. Now walking into a GS is like walking into a Pawn Shop to me. I just don't care for it. I go to GS once in a while if I need to, but lately I've been getting all my stuff at Best Buy.

Having worked at Spencer's and Disney Store I know exactly where your coming from.They would have us trying to pimp out something new all the time.But the thing usually a customer already has an idea what they're going in for.So it's useless to attack them with a pitch.I'm glad I'm not in retail anymore.

Ya, I used to work there, but I had cool managers and **** so it was okay, but I recently got something in the mail saying somebody was suing gamestop for treating them ****tily and I could get in on the settlement, haha.

I too had a great manager. We started when the store was just setting up so from day 1 they told us they would write us up. My manager never did, but the Corporate Regional Manager said that. We had a great team, of great gamers when I worked there from early 2005 to mid 2005. But I just could not stand the treatment by Corporate, they treated you like machines, and never complemented you at all. They saw you as an inconvenience, not an asset. Turnover rate was so high in that place.

I too had a great manager. We started when the store was just setting up so from day 1 they told us they would write us up. My manager never did, but the Corporate Regional Manager said that. We had a great team, of great gamers when I worked there from early 2005 to mid 2005. But I just could not stand the treatment by Corporate, they treated you like machines, and never complemented you at all. They saw you as an inconvenience, not an asset. Turnover rate was so high in that place.

Yea, so far thats been my experience. Turnover isnt exclusive to Gamestop, but from my perspective it appears to be fairly high, altho, my store has been really good. I think im the only "new" guy there, everyone else has been there for at least 2+ years.

Also, those working there now, that 'mandatory benefits' thing, did you guys sign up for it? I think the deadline was the 24th and i just forgot to sign up.

Shat...I forgot to call them and tell them I DIDN'T want it. :mad:

Yea, so far thats been my experience. Turnover isnt exclusive to Gamestop, but from my perspective it appears to be fairly high, altho, my store has been really good. I think im the only "new" guy there, everyone else has been there for at least 2+ years.

No it's not many companies sadly do this. Turnover is quite a cost that many corporations seem to ignore. Gamestop is one of them for sure. They really just don't treat employees that good.

With my crew, I left 6 months in, by the end of year 1 everyone except the manager had left. Yet, I think a year or so after that she left too. And it seems every time I go in there, it's a whole new crew.

That's really stupid. Most people who shop at Gamestop either have an edge card or only go their once a year to sell a bunch of games. Yeah an edge card helps out with those but if you're hardly there it's not worth it. They shouldn't be forcing you guys to shove it down the customers throats, that is how you lose business.

That's how retail works man, it blows, but there isn't much we can do about it if you wanna keep working.

That's how retail works man, it blows, but there isn't much we can do about it if you wanna keep working.

Well you can. I realized I could change by not having to work those jobs. After Gamestop I decided to go back to school. Now I'm just a year and a half from getting my MBA. :cwink:

I hear ya buddy, I use to work at old navy and they lived and died by old navy accounts, they kept telling us to push the cards on anyone coming through the door. I quit a year in because I couldnt take retail anymore and the shaddy crap they pulled on regular employees.

I dont like getting hastled ethier when I enter a gamestop, one time I walked right back out because before I even got to the ps3 section I was asked 4 times by employees if I need help or want to reserve something. Back in august when madden had its midnight launch, I went and picked up my copy, so as Im at the counter I literally had to say no 15 times to preorder titles, I understand the nature of the beast but if I want to preorder something I will do it on my own. I feel bad for the employees but man is it annoying as all hell to get bugged repeatedly about accounts or incentives.

On a side note when I went to fye I was just looking around and 3 different employees were walking around with clipboards trying to get people for preorders or some kind of backstage pass thing. Why would I preorder inception when it hasnt even left theaters yet? or why would I preorder killzone 3 when it doesnt even come out till next year? I asked the employee about inception and here is the following conversation:

Employee: "hello, would you like to preorder inception on bluray"
Me: "when does inception come out on bluray"
Employee: "you know Im not even quite sure, its just on our list for coming soon"
Me: "then why would I preorder it then if there isnt even a release date yet"
Employee: "(gets on head phone) does anyone know when inception comes out on bluray?"
Employee: "no one knows yet"

Only time I buy from GameStop is when they have online coupons. Last time I bought something in store was Darksiders because of their $20 off when you traded in a select game. I traded in my A Boy and His Blob and my friend's Monopoly.

I wish they still had older games. I always liked looking at SNES or N64 cartridges. I'm so glad I bought Star Fox 64 when they still had carts since I lost mine.

No it's not many companies sadly do this. Turnover is quite a cost that many corporations seem to ignore. Gamestop is one of them for sure. They really just don't treat employees that good.

With my crew, I left 6 months in, by the end of year 1 everyone except the manager had left. Yet, I think a year or so after that she left too. And it seems every time I go in there, it's a whole new crew.

Yea iv worked in 3 different retail establishments and at one point, there was one of those "wow, corporate is lame" moments at every place i worked. Like Brainiac stated, thats retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"