Rogue One General Rogue One News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice trailer. I'm still not feeling Jyn and some of the other characters but the movie does look beautiful and the action seems spectacular.

I will never not be concerned about the behind the scenes troubles. My praising of the trailer shouldn't lead anyone to believe that I'm not still worried.

That's not true. For instance, Fury Road had a ton if behind the scenes turmoil and ended up getting stellar reviews and best picture Oscar nomination.
Apocalypse Now is the best example imo. A disaster to film, but it turned out to be one of the most well regarded films of all time.

Apocalypse Now is the best example imo. A disaster to film, but it turned out to be one of the most well regarded films of all time.
I have never seen it and I have a strong distaste for straight war movies funny enough. And I was just trying to pick a more modern example.

I have never seen it and I have a strong distaste for straight war movies funny enough. And I was just trying to pick a more modern example.

It's not a straight up war movie. It's set in Vietnam during the war but it's not about the war.

Apocalypse Now isn't a war movie. It's about an officer that is being sent up river and into the jungles to kill a Colonel that's went native and set up his own crazy cult village. There is only one battle scene in the film when the officer's boat is being moved to the river in the first act, and it's not even a long battle. You outhta give it a watch some time. If you do make sure you watch the Theatrical version. The Redux version has more material, but it's a detour in the story that really isn't necessary imo and the added scenes kill the pace.

Last edited:
Apocalypse Now is one of the finest examples of a film adaptation. A great film. A very depressing film imo, but a great one.

Another modern example, Star Trek Beyond. That film was a disaster in the making for a good while, but turned out very good imo.

If any of the characters survive, do you think there's a chance for them to appear in Episode 8 or 9 as old? Like maybe old man Cassian Andor or old woman Jyn can cameo. They would be in like their 70's

Apocalypse Now is one of the finest examples of a film adaptation. A great film. A very depressing film imo, but a great one.

Another modern example, Star Trek Beyond. That film was a disaster in the making for a good while, but turned out very good imo.
Thank you guys for the Apocalypse Now description. I might check it out now.

Oh yes how could I forget about Star Trek Beyond? Paramount had a tough time getting that film together. I think getting out of a mess is a lot about having a solid foundation, great smart people behind the scenes and luck and unfortunately so many lousy films never had a solid foundation to start with. If Rogue One has a solid foundation I think it can be saved.

I am confident that Gareth doesn't have an ego, and is willing to take the help needed to make the movie good.

Thank you guys for the Apocalypse Now description. I might check it out now.

Oh yes how could I forget about Star Trek Beyond? Paramount had a tough time getting that film together. I think getting out of a mess is a lot about having a solid foundation, great smart people behind the scenes and luck and unfortunately so many lousy films never had a solid foundation to start with. If Rogue One has a solid foundation I think it can be saved.
Star Trek Beyond probably worked out better because they were forced to hire Pegg and Jung to write it because they had such a short deadline. Orci would have been a disaster. But they had a strong foundation in other ways as you said.

Star Trek Beyond probably worked out better because they were forced to hire Pegg and Jung to write it because they had such a short deadline. Orci would have been a disaster. But they had a strong foundation in other ways as you said.
I am so over Orci. I want him to go away forever. And hopefully we can get rid of that stupid magic blood plot point so many iffy writers are obsessed with.

Indeed I believe Pegg and Jung saved the film because they could have easily brought aboard **** writers that ruined the whole thing.

Dumb & Dumber's TV work isn't so bad. Just, movies are not their strong suit.

Apocalypse Now isn't a war movie. It's about an officer that is being sent up river and into the jungles to kill a Colonel that's went native and set up his own crazy cult village. There is only one battle scene in the film when the officer's boat is being moved to the river in the first act, and it's not even a long battle. You outhta give it a watch some time. If you do make sure you watch the Theatrical version. The Redux version has more material, but it's a detour in the story that really isn't necessary imo and the added scenes kill the pace.

I love Apocalypse Now. I remember after watching it for the first time I was trying to find out all the info on behind the scenes etc. Would have been interesting to see Hopper play Brando's 2nd in command as originally planned.

Seems Brando never took a liken to Hopper and things changed.

Wowzers. Gareth may suck at directing actors, but he knows his visuals. I can't imagine JJ ever coming up with some of the shots here.

Wowzers. Gareth may suck at directing actors, but he knows his visuals. I can't imagine JJ ever coming up with some of the shots here.
JJ gave us lightsaber sparks, our first look at in atmosphere X-wing and Tie Fighter dog fighting, the Falcon flying through a downed Star Destroyer, those John Ford shots of Rey's speeder, and a duel in the snow. I think his visual eye is just fine. :cwink:

SO? I still can't see him coming up with some of these shots.

JJ Abrams invented shots. :o

JJ invented lens flare. :oldrazz:

I still blame the internet for that more than I blame JJ. The flares would've passed right under my radar if film nerds weren't like "LENS FLARE EPILEPTIC SEIZURE!!!1!"

I blame the internet for shakey cam. For eons I thought that the Bourne films were shot on a tripod. But then Internet Joes and Janes had to ruin it for me.

I still blame the internet for that more than I blame JJ. The flares would've passed right under my radar if film nerds weren't like "LENS FLARE EPILEPTIC SEIZURE!!!1!"
This is true for many things on the internet. Things you suddenly can't unsee. :funny:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back