Rogue One General Rogue One News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 6

He's a bit full of himself.

He is, but having rewatched Rogue One, it is clearly the best movie in the Disney era so far. And much of that comes from the stuff I'm sure he had a hand in (pretty much after the movie gets off Jedha). At that point, it becomes basically, as he says, a World War II movie with a somber tone and ending, but in the Star Wars universe.

That precision makes the second half of Rogue One better and more original than pretty much all of the other Disney movies which lean too much on nostalgia. TLJ tried to break away from the nostalgia too, but it seems to have at least backfired with some of the fanbase, as it did so by deconstructing the things we are nostalgic about.

He might be pretentious, but dammit if he didn't get results. I'd be more interested in him doing another Star Wars movie than Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams, but alas.

Tony Gilroy has a reputation for being a dick. I recall Greengrass and Damon had some trouble with him on the Bourne movies.

They did. And that is why they did the fifth Bourne movie (fourth if you don't count Renner's) without him. It also was by far the worst Bourne movie and killed the franchise.

Last edited:
The Playlist - Chris Weitz Says Christopher McQuarrie, Scott Z. Burns & More Wrote On ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’

And in a recent interview with Chris Weitz, known for his eclectic directing career (“About A Boy,” “The Golden Compass” and “Twilight: New Moon“), the writer-director confirmed all this and even added one writer who made some notes on the screenplay.

“There was a murderers row of screenwriters, myself excluded, who eventually worked on it,” he said. “Gary Whitta did the first draft and then I came in and did a couple of drafts and then after me came Tony Gilroy, Christopher McQuarrie, Scott Burns, I believe David Arndt* had some notes on it, and then Tony Gilroy came back on again. And it’s astonishing to me that, for me, from my point of view, how well it turned out, given how many writers were working on it any one time.”

[editor’s note: pretty sure he means *Michael Arndt, who also wrote the original draft of ‘The Force Awakens,’ but we could be wrong, and or I’ve misheard the name].

“All credit to Gareth Edwards,” Weitz continued, “Because I think what he laid down aesthetically, in terms of the feel of the movie, is really born out.”

https://theplaylist.net/chris-weitz-mcquarrie-burns-rogue-one-star-wars-20180829/

NorthJersey.com - Hollywood screenwriter Tony Gilroy talks about 'Star Wars,' and rejection at MSU event

[Rogue One] earned over $1 billion worldwide at the box office, but was reportedly a difficult production that led to Gilroy being brought in to rewrite the script and oversee some reshooting.

When pressed by Susan Skoog, director of programming at The Film Institute at Montclair State, about "what went wrong" with Rogue One, Gilroy hesitated to answer to avoid getting into trouble with the producers of the movie, but then responded that it was a matter of "purity" when telling the story.

"When things pass through many hands and there's a great deal of confusion ... and there's all kinds of accessories and jewelries and bootstraps and zippers, and all the rest of the stuff. The purity for the characters, if it's not there to begin with, it just deteriorates and just turns into an absolute mush," Gilroy said.

RO-Magazin-22-23.jpg

Re-examining what's out there again, since R1's original release, cause of my interest in the news of the TV prequel.
I stumbled on this fan-edit trailer; which brings some real surprising urgency to the film I don't quite remember the original trailers having,
Maybe it's cause I haven't seen it it in a while, but they really gave it an epic feel.

Last edited:
Supposedly they considered having the heroes get massacred by Vader instead of nameless Rebel soldiers, but they thought that might be too dark.

Reactions: Bim
That would have been jarring but in a good way, seeing him just out on a bright sunny beach just ****ing people up.

Reactions: Bim
The more time goes on, the more I appreciate Rogue One.

Well I can vouch for that after watching it again tonight. I know it’s not even 5 years old yet but RO really holds up and is possibly the best Disney SW movie.

I love TFA also but the sequels sullied it’s impact for me unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"