Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Sorry, while I understand your feelings - Afterlife, to me, differs a heck of a lot more because it felt sincere, genuine, and heartfelt in its creation.

I think that the Reitmans' love and genuine care at the helm really elevated what would otherwise be rather hollow nostalgia-bait.
To each their own. As always if yall felt that way, that's fine. I didn't have that experience watching the 2nd half of the movie and the vast majority of these movies feel this way to me. Why I am not really bothered as more of these don't succeed. I want more great films like Dune Part 2 and such, and less IP mining nostalgia bait.

I want more great films like Dune Part 2 and such, and less IP mining nostalgia bait.
I mean. Great films can come from IPs. Dune itself is a pretty established sci-fi IP in literature and with multiple adaptations - not like it's some 'fresh' thing, itself.

I mean. Great films can come from IPs. Dune itself is a pretty established sci-fi IP in literature and with multiple adaptations - not like it's some 'fresh' thing, itself.
It's had adaptations, sure. But in cinema terms it wasn't ever relevant until now. Lynch 's movie was a massive flop and then it was just on TV. But even if I agreed with your thesis, that still makes my point that you can take something old and make it great and not just an empty shell of comfort food with little to it. There is a reason there various IPs blew up when they did, and largely that's cause they felt fresh and new. The nostalgia wave largely hasn't used these to offer that. Hence why IMO many of these are starting to fail. They're not doing interesting things with them.

Disappointed but not shocked about the reception on this one. Still gonna see it and hope for the best. If it is a mess but has a solid conclusion, I might make an Afterlife/Frozen Empire mashup edit or something, ha.

Sorry, while I understand your feelings - Afterlife, to me, differs a heck of a lot more because it felt sincere, genuine, and heartfelt in its creation.

I think that the Reitmans' love and genuine care at the helm really elevated what would otherwise be rather hollow nostalgia-bait.

So sincere. It relies on memberberries to create an emotional impact, not story.

I enjoyed it a lot, probably not up to the standard of Afterlife but still really good all the same. Some very funny parts, (although at times it felt like I was the only person laughing) and had a lull in the middle act that dragged, but i think a lot of reviews are being way too harsh. Would agree with the comments that this didn't seem to be as directed as well as the last, but where people are mentioning a lot of stuff missing from the trailers, I still thought the trailers still give too much away although that's my own fault for not doing more to avoid them I suppose. The family dynamics worked really well and was quite touching at times too.

It's a shame if it doesn't do well at theatres, as I think they've chosen the main parts really well, so would be a shame if we don't get to see them further down the line, escpecially considering how brilliant Phoebe is which must be a kick in the teeth for people who argue female leads don't work well in films.

The reviews are terrible. I don't think this will do well at the boX office as well.

I've said before - but maybe not here. I thought the approach to Afterlife was brilliant. I've heard people complain that the film takes the originals too seriously or mythologizes them - and I agree - but I think that it was smart to do so.

What Afterlife did is a fascinating and bold - it met the fans/audiences where they were at. Fans are the ones that often forget that those films were comedic horror films not meant to be taken that seriously. Rather than 'correcting' the fans and reminding them that the series isn't THAT serious or deep, it just said "Hey, we love it, too".

Rather than cynically telling the audience that "Hey, these were just silly movies!" and making fans feel dumb - Afterlife embraced and used their reverence.

It rewarded the audience rather than give it a reality check. And it worked brilliantly.

In other words, the series grew with its audience and met them where they were at, rather than shocking them into feeling silly for how much they love the series.

Brilliant approach, I felt.
There is absolutely nothing brave about pandering to the established fanbase of a nostalgic 80s property. Afterlife, even if you like it, is objectively an incredibly safe movie. Pandering to the nostalgic memory of a thing rather than engaging with what the original material actually was is the most boring, lame thing you can do.

You can have a ‘safe’ legacy sequel that still feels fresh, vibrant and unique. Like Creed. But that’s not a movie about nostalgia at all, it’s just a worthy successor.

Just came out.
I liked it. I notice much of the problems that have been mentioned in reviews, but the truth is I was never bored... I just wanted more of some of all the different stuff they focused on. The movie spent too much time on side characters when it could've been showing us many other moments.
The movie did find some great GB moments for a sequel though. Some cool ideas, new equipment, new lore, character pairings and much more that left me wanting more. The movie felt long and short at the same time, if that makes any sense.

What's with all the scenes and moments and stuff that were in the trailers but not in the final movie?? I call false advertisement on that.

Last edited:
Just came out.
I liked it. I notice much of the problems that have been mentioned in reviews, but the truth is I was never bored... I just wanted more of some of all the different stuff they focused on. The movie spent too much time on side characters when it could've been showing us many other moments.
The movie did find some great GB moments for a sequel though. Some cool ideas, new equipment, new lore, character pairings and much more that left me wanting more. The movie felt long and short at the same time, if that makes any sense.

What's with all the scenes and moments and stuff that were in the trailers but not in the final movie?? I call false advertisement on that.
It may indeed be, false advertising.
Studios call it, editing.
Btw, the side characters you are referring to,
are you talking about the new characters introduced in this installment?

Last edited:
Btw, the side characters you are referring to,
are you talking about the new characters introduced in this installment?
Let's just say there are way too many characters and the movie choses to focus a lot of the time on moments where I was like "Yeah ok but show me xxxx or xxxx, come on what are they doing?? They are over there, show me that." And I'm not talking exclusively about the original characters, but even Carrie Coon's character is super interesting and is like no, there's no time.

A tighter focus in almost every way could've been very helpful into making this an absolute banger of a Ghostbusters movie. I liked it, but there was a lot of wasted potential. Curious to see what an extended version looks like.

Ninety-Nine Problems & A Bill Murray Ain’t One

…what a trash fire(master).

Too many characters, bad cgi, terrible action/shots. The old guard was ok, passable.

Carrie Coon was fun, again. Rest of the kids were wasted or frustrating. Not enough Podcast.

It should be illegal to have back to back scenes with Kumail and Patton. Why is their magic now?

Also, the cameo of the librarian ghost was dumb.

The retcon of the firehouse’s importance is ****ing idiotic.

Easily the worst of the franchise.

Ghostbusters [5/5]
Ghostbusters II [3/5]
Ghostbusters | Afterlife [2.5/5]
Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters [2/5]
Ghostbusters | Frozen Empire [1/5]

The little bit of charm that Afterlife attempted to bring was missing here…

Last edited:
oof. Going to be rough with Godzilla next week.

Predicting that film is going to have an even worse reception. And this is coming from someone who loved the last film and is a King Kong fanboy. I just get ‘Batman & Robin’ vibes - that’s to say choices that were mainly made based on what toy departments can do - I’m really hoping I’m wrong.

Last edited:
So is there any kind of explanation why NYC has ghosts again? Or have they been around the last 40 years but no one’s been capturing them?

My son is a massive Ghostbusters fan and beyond excited for the new movie. However, he is on the spectrum and does have some difficulties with sound sensitivity. Mostly when it comes to jump scares (out of nowhere). We are planning to take him this weekend but was curious for anyone who has seen the movie, how are the jump scares as I am hearing there are a lot. Though it may contain spoilers, I was wondering what were the jump scares (how many) and when in the movie? When it comes to this we would normally prepare him when one is about to happen which he does good with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My son is a massive Ghostbusters fan and beyond excited for the new movie. However, he is on the spectrum and does have some difficulties with sound sensitivity. Mostly when it comes to jump scares (out of nowhere). We are planning to take him this weekend but was curious for anyone who has seen the movie, how are the jump scares as I am hearing there are a lot. Though it may contain spoilers, I was wondering what were the jump scares (how many) and when in the movie? When it comes to this we would normally prepare him when one is about to happen which he does good with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can’t recall jump scares within the movie itself,

I can say definitely go in after the trailers.

I’ve seen the film twice and each one - for whatever reason - has the trailer for ‘Tarot’ attached. That is filled with jump scares.

I’m really unsure why the trailer for Tarot is attached because I can easily see that giving many kids nightmares. While Ghostbusters is PG-13, many kids younger than that are likely going to go. A heads up on that for any parents really.

My boyfriend and I are both on the spectrum. Jump scares annoy me due to the sound, jump scares give him a physical reaction like a cat. Nothing like that occurred for us in the film itself, that might be from going to movies a lot and growing used to minor ones though.

I think there might be a minor one when the containment field goes down. This would be when the ghost orb is in the machine for the first time.

Last edited:
I can’t recall jump scares within the movie itself,

I can say definitely go in after the trailers.

I’ve seen the film twice and each one - for whatever reason - has the trailer for ‘Tarot’ attached. That is filled with jump scares.

I’m really unsure why the trailer for Tarot is attached because I can easily see that giving many kids nightmares. While Ghostbusters is PG-13, many kids younger than that are likely going to go. A heads up on that for any parents really.

My boyfriend and I are both on the spectrum. Jump scares annoy me due to the sound, jump scares give him a physical reaction like a cat. Nothing like that occurred for us in the film itself, that might be from going to movies a lot and growing used to minor ones though.

I think there might be a minor one when the containment field goes down. This would be when the ghost orb is in the machine for the first time.
Thank you! He is excited to go tomorrow but also nervous he will jump. He doesn’t get scared of the “ghosts” but more sudden, out of nowhere noise. There use to be a website that would list out the jump scares and we were able to warn him. We will be sure to miss the trailers! Was not sure if there are jump scares.

Yeah, I wouldn't say jump scares but scary/creepy imagery. The statue scene could be considered a jump scare. But is mostly stuff you see coming.

Decided to take the wife off on the opportunity to get out of the house, so I saw this. I am gonna be honest... I didn't hate it. I don't love the nostalgic callbacks and such that were hamfisted in there and I hate the minion puff marshmallow plusses. Also too many plot lines that come and go and could have focused more on the core plot a bit more. But other than that, mindlessly entertaining. I actually prefer this to Afterlife overall. Mostly cause the back half of Afterlife is just a nightmare of nostalgia. This was more even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"