God Bless America... Why?

Those certainly are the ultimate showings of patriotism, no doubt. But how do we honor those people? What do we do as average citizens to show our respect and gratitude for those who died, for those who wanted us to live free? Not singing a song because you just don't want to or because you hate this country are too different things. We can stand united, as patriots, or we can stand divided. And, a country that stands divided will ultimately fall. I take off my hat for the National Anthem and put my hand on my heart to remember those that served our nation. People who don't do that IMO, who won't other wise do those noble things you listed, are disrepsectful and ungrateful of the gifts the have been given.
First of all good points, believe me I understand the ideals you are trying to convey. However, when we look at things in these terms, we walk a very thin line. As with a lot of these hot-button issues, there are many shades to consider. Therein lies our real problem.

What do I mean? Take Addendums examples more literally. What happens when one of those 'patriots' refuses to stand, salute, bear a flag simply because they've 'burnt-out'? Are they any less patriotic? A vietnam vet who has lost his family and his limbs figuratively can't stand, and doesn't honor the flag anymore because of his experiences. He knows damn well what the country stands for, but has become disheartened because of his sacrifices. Now, you wouldn't know this guy's story if you just saw him out in the street. All you know is he appears, as you say, 'disrespectful'... when in fact, isn't it you that is being disrespectful?

What exactly do you believe in Raybia? What arguments are there that involve actual proof on the side of people who believe in god? You already mentioned you don't take the Bible literally, so that's why I ask.
Haven't you heard of the saying, "Faith is the absense of proof"?

Anyway, why do people always have to go off topic and talk about religion whenever the word "God" is mentioned? Just answer the darn thread question!! :cmad: :csad:

Ive said it once and I'll say it again: A lotta hype members need to apply for a passport....

LOL

Alright, alot of crazy christian people are also crazy patriotic people. They believe that America is God's country, and Republican is God's party. So, what would be their reaction, and the reaction of more moderate christians, if someone changed God bless America to Allah bless America, especially given the fact that alot of the crazies believe muslim is evil.

Haven't you heard of the saying, "Faith is the absense of proof"?

Anyway, why do people always have to go off topic and talk about religion whenever the word "God" is mentioned? Just answer the darn thread question!! :cmad: :csad:

It's been answered, Carlin himself actually answered it in that comedy piece of what this thread is about. It just basically means "Good luck". The conversation just evolved from that. You don't want to be a part of it, then don't be a part of it. And yes, I've heard that and know that saying. Raybia said there was arguments for both sides, I was just curious as to what he considered them to be. That's all. He replied and that was it. There was no flame war.

It's been answered, Carlin himself actually answered it in that comedy piece of what this thread is about. It just basically means "Good luck". The conversation just evolved from that. You don't want to be a part of it, then don't be a part of it. And yes, I've heard that and know that saying. Raybia said there was arguments for both sides, I was just curious as to what he considered them to be. That's all. He replied and that was it. There was no flame war.
Already a part of it. If I don't want to be a part of it, I'd not have posted my answer.

No one mentioned anything about 'flame war'. It's either you have no sense of humor or I'm just so not funny. There goes my dream of becoming a comedian.

Well, damn, you are going to have explain that joke to me, I didn't see any.

It's obvious this thread has evolved from the original question, as with all threads. This is no exception and I get that and have no problem with it at all.

This part here, wasn't meant to be serious:
DBella said:
No one ever takes me seriously or listens to me so you should not be an exception.

Alright, alot of crazy christian people are also crazy patriotic people. They believe that America is God's country, and Republican is God's party.

:confused:

Anyways, when that expression was first brought up, a majority of the country were christians/catholics. Tie that into the country they are trying to build from the ground up, and there you have the "God Bless America" expression. The only reason why its taboo now is because Ahteism and other forms of religion are a huge number as opposed to when America's fathers were around, not to mention the controversial war in Iraq.

First of all good points, believe me I understand the ideals you are trying to convey. However, when we look at things in these terms, we walk a very thin line. As with a lot of these hot-button issues, there are many shades to consider. Therein lies our real problem.

What do I mean? Take Addendums examples more literally. What happens when one of those 'patriots' refuses to stand, salute, bear a flag simply because they've 'burnt-out'? Are they any less patriotic? A vietnam vet who has lost his family and his limbs figuratively can't stand, and doesn't honor the flag anymore because of his experiences. He knows damn well what the country stands for, but has become disheartened because of his sacrifices. Now, you wouldn't know this guy's story if you just saw him out in the street. All you know is he appears, as you say, 'disrespectful'... when in fact, isn't it you that is being disrespectful?
Those are truly different and more radical than my response to the original poster who is a kid that doesn't feel like he needs to do any of those things. Saying a quadrapalegic that cannot stand is taking it a bit too far:o:woot: But I am sure it has happened:csad:

A draft and volunteering are certainly two way different things. I could see why people would become angry after being tossed into a situation that they didn't want to be in...that is certainly why the draft is no more. A kid angry at the establishment and an 85 year old homeless, quadrapalegic, veteran with no family are two certainly different situations. As for me, hoping to never have to go to war, I will support those that do with my honor and my respect. That is patriotism.

Alright, alot of crazy christian people are also crazy patriotic people. They believe that America is God's country, and Republican is God's party. So, what would be their reaction, and the reaction of more moderate christians, if someone changed God bless America to Allah bless America, especially given the fact that alot of the crazies believe muslim is evil.
Saying 'God Bless America' is in no means an outlet for crazy Christians:o What is wrong with God's blessing to better our country, existance or no existance:huh:

Not all who say God Bless America are crazy Christians or even Christians. I believe in the existence of a supreme being which I refer to as 'God' but don't really associate myself with any religion. Also, "Allah", I believe, means "God" in Arabic. So if Muslims do say "Allah Bless America", it basically means the same thing.

Not all who say God Bless America are crazy Christians or even Christians. I believe in the existence of a supreme being which I refer to as 'God' but don't really associate myself with any religion. Also, "Allah", I believe, means "God" in Arabic. So if Muslims do say "Allah Bless America", it basically means the same thing.
I saw 'God bless us all, everyone." So, I must be a crazy Christian:cmad: Now become my concubine woman:cmad:

I saw 'God bless us all, everyone." So, I must be a crazy Christian:cmad: Now become my concubine woman:cmad:
You must be. Hehe... when I first read 'concubine', I thought of 'porcupine'. :huh:

You must be. Hehe... when I first read 'concubine', I thought of 'porcupine'. :huh:
oliviacostume3sa5.jpg

>

280px-Porcupine-BioDome.jpg

God bless those two concubines.
And the porcupine too, as long as they don't hurt me.

Leia's Slave Girl outfit - standard uniform for all concubines

Saying 'God Bless America' is in no means an outlet for crazy Christians:o What is wrong with God's blessing to better our country, existance or no existance:huh:

I'm not saying all people who say God Bless America are crazy christians. I meant that the crazy christians are usually also crazy patriots. These are the same people that will boycot a store for saying happy holidays instead of merry christmas. It's just a thought I had back when they were upset because someone suggested taking out "under god" from the pledge. I think it would be funny to replace it with "under Allah", just for ****s and giggles. I also thought it would have been funny, for the intelligent design people, to teach kids that aliens created people.

It really wasn't a question, just a thought.

USA #1 Country in the World. USA USA!!!!

God bless Olivia Munn(the one on the left):o
Yes and may she stay in that shape forever.
I'm not saying all people who say God Bless America are crazy christians. I meant that the crazy christians are usually also crazy patriots. These are the same people that will boycot a store for saying happy holidays instead of merry christmas. It's just a thought I had back when they were upset because someone suggested taking out "under god" from the pledge. I think it would be funny to replace it with "under Allah", just for ****s and giggles. I also thought it would have been funny, for the intelligent design people, to teach kids that aliens created people.

It really wasn't a question, just a thought.
I hear ya.

Wait... aliens exists?!

Anyway, I think Americans who live here love this country. If they don't they'd have moved elsewhere. And I think that we all have a common goal of wanting to make this country a better place for ourselves as well as for our friends who occupy this planet with us. If we are blessed, we can share our blessings with others, it's our responsibility for were are all inter-connected. So I don't see anything wrong in asking God (or whatever you believe in) for blessings.

And now I feel like singing...

"...And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
And I'll gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts