• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Godzilla (1998) deserved better.

CyrusGrissom

Civilian
Reaction score
I didn't think it's as bad as everyone says, i remembered back when i was 16 back in 1998 when it premiered i saw it at the movies and loved it. I didn't see why everyone hated it especially the Godzilla fanboys, i thought it was great fun and everything i enjoyed in a summer movie.

Deserves a second chance.

The movie was quite good until the whole mini Godzillas thing started happening.

i love that people hate this godzilla, then defend the terrible japanese version.

i dont' care if he is the original, that doesn't make his movies any good.

Of course it deserved a whole lot better
That Godzilla movie was simply awesome!

But I knew it was going to fail expectation when the fox network came up with that stupid terrible monster movie “Gargantua" a day before Godzilla was release in theater.
Even I got indigestion from monster movie that day!

They try to do the same thing with the first Spiderman movie by airing a stupid spider movie the same week that Spiderman movie was release in theater.

I mean, they’re little thing that can effect a box office movie receipts in a very negative way!

The fact that a movie like Hannibal rising came out before FF the silver suffer rising
Can affect greatly that movie in a very negative way at the box office
Because they share the same verb "rising"

When I was young and didn't know any better I convinced myself to like the movie, but like Independence, I figured out very shortly, that it sucked.

ugh, please... it's one thing to make a dumb action movie. Bay's the master at this and sometimes he manages to make good on it (The Rock, for instance), but trying to make us believe that NOBODY in the goddamn military can hit that giant ass lizard, and that they actually manage to lose it, is just f***in insane.

and then there's the Jurassic Park rip-off with the raptors/mini-Zillas. and the ridiculous plotline with the reporter, and quite possibly the worst characters Jean Reno and Hank Azaria ever portrayed in their careers... the list goes on. the movie should stay in the garbage bin where it belongs.

I remmember seeing it in the cinema when I was 12. Jean Reno and Hank Azaries where the ONLY good thing in that movie.

I was about 11 when it came out, I thought it was cool I remember.

Haven't seen it after that though.

The original Godzilla blows it out of the water.

I was 9 when this came out, and even then I didn't feel like I was watching a Godzilla movie.

aside from Godzilla being able to take down 3 choppers and not being able to destroy a taxi...i enjoyed the movie, baby-zillas and all. i was hoping for a meaner, leaner Godzilla for a sequel but i still enjoyed it.

i can watch the American version of "Godzilla" many more times than i can watch ANY Japanese version.

the american version could have been so much better, i mean the whole point of godzilla is that he's an allegory for the destructive power of nuclear weapons, the film barely touched on that. and completey f**ked up by saying it was french nuclear testing that created the monster, and not america bombing hiroshima and nagasaki.
add to that the fact that godzilla was taken down by missiles and a f**king bridge.
say what you want about the stream of japanese godzilla films from the 60's and 70's, but if anyone actually thinks the american version is better than the original, 1954 japanese version...i just don't know what to tell you.

I tell you what though...the damn trailers were AWESOME. They really got me pumped. I had gotten burned bad on that POS Stargate, so I was wary of the hack director/producer combo. But the trailers made me feel different.

However, upon seeing it, I felt as if my skull was going to crap my eyeballs out as punishment.

I haven't seen any of the japenese movies but I would rather see the Godzilla in the American version than some fat guy in a suit.

I haven't seen any of the japenese movies but I would rather see the Godzilla in the American version than some fat guy in a suit.

Um, you do realize it's the SUIT that's built to be fat, right? The original Toho stuntman in the suit was practically a stick.

You're not supposed to watch the old Godzilla movies and expect a compelling story or good acting. You watch them to laugh and watch fake monsters beat the crap out of each other. It's supposed to be fun, not to be taken seriously.

The American version isn't supposed to be taken seriously either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"