• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Godzilla (1998) deserved better.

I think Godzilla '98 deserved better, all right...better treatment, that is.

If we had gotten a bada$$ giant reptile that reduced half of a major city to ruin, I could have easily overlooked the Dick Tracy jawline, the lack of fire breath, the plot points stolen from Jurassic Park or even the bizarre compulsion to include half the Simpsons voice cast. What disappointed me was that we got a generic big lizard that ran away from helicopters. If anything, the fact that it had babies should have been reason for it to reduce the Army to pulp. It didn't need a second monster for the lizard to fight, and I couldn't care less whether they used guys in suits or not. I'm not a purist by any means, but if you're gonna call the creature Godzilla, it better damn well ACT like Godzilla.

There's a line from Mayor Ebert in the picture sums up best why this movie sputtered, IMO: "You've caused more damage than that ******* thing did!" People paid to see this movie for the same reason they paid to see ID4: to sit back and see buildings get blown to smithereens by some giant CGI menace. All they got was the CGI menace.

Still .......... It had a fantastic set of trailers in the months before release.

Then the movie arrived .....

Oh geez, this movie was so lousy. It was insanely overlong, the acting was horrific, and the story was terrible. I was willing to forgive the quasi-raptors and stuff, but they used Godzilla so terribly that it was unforgivable. The scenes of him stomping around the city were boring. The destruction was so mild that it was pathetic. Plus, Godzilla's death at the end was just flat-out depressing. Wow, a confused trapped animal being horribly slaughtered... How fun. It was like they tried to approach it from the King Kong perspective but the creature was so poorly defined that it just felt hollow and grim. The film was a shallow joyless experience that was deservedly shunned. And no it is not better than the original Godzilla film. That movie had a real sense of menace and poignancy. The sequels were cheese-fests, but I'll take Godzilla Vs. Mothra over Godzilla 98 any day of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"