Comics Going back to reading after 5 yrs hiatus

bulok

Sidekick
Reaction score
I am thinking of starting to read the comic books again after a few years hiatus. I have been reading on and off but not solidly, though mostly the Ultimate Spiderman (i love that series).

The last Spiderman comic I read was a Peter Jenkins story arc with the Chameleon, though a year ago I did pick up the storyline with Spidey and Captain America and he mutated into that Spider monster.

Now I am seriously considering spending some time (and money) on my old friend Spiderman. However I'd like to get caught up. I read some things from Wikipedia about his powers having a Shamanistic source which seemed like an interesting story arc, but what I am curious about is this Iron Spider thing. What's up with that? Spiderman's had an steel outfit beefore but why does he need Tony Stark's armor? Did he suddenly become an invalid?

Also if anyone else has any important updates or interesting info they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.

I'll try read thru this forum for other info.

thanks folks!

The Book of Ezekiel arc was really good I though, that dealt with the Shamanistic source. If you could I would get all of JMS' run on Spider-Man up to that point.:):up: Skip Sins past. I did and thats probably why I don't dislike JMS as much as others.:o

Seriously, now is really not a good time to get into Spider-man 616 comics.

heh but anyway, it cut a long story short...Spider-man has been "reborn" with new powers and a new costume. So yea, this might not be the Spider-man that your use to seeing.

ragingdemon155 said:
Seriously, now is really not a good time to get into Spider-man 616 comics.

heh but anyway, it cut a long story short...Spider-man has been "reborn" with new powers and a new costume. So yea, this might not be the Spider-man that your use to seeing.

Yeah....there have been maybe a handful of enjoyable issues and stories over the past however many years.

I recommend reading all of Paul Jenkins work on Peter Parker Spider-Man (19-the last issue) and Spectacular Spider-Man (Skip Sins Remembered...he didn't write it, and it sucked something awful).

As for JMS, I recommend reading all the way up to 508, and then stopping. Pick up the "Hydra" arc, and then be done with it. "Sins Past", "Skin Deep", "The Other", and the "Mr. Parker Goes to Washington" arcs are all mega-uber-colossal-super-crapola-on-a-stick.

I recommend buying Spider-Man: Blue. Great book.

Also, pick up the I (heart) Marvel, Web of Romance. Great story. One issue.

Try out Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1-12 (available in HC). Great story, IMHO. It has some nuances you may not like, but it's still pretty solid.

And, pick up Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm with Stupid. Great mini-series.

The only book currently worth a damn that isn't Ultimate Spider-Man is Sensational Spider-Man. I recommend it.

shinlyle said:
Yeah....there have been maybe a handful of enjoyable issues and stories over the past however many years.

I recommend reading all of Paul Jenkins work on Peter Parker Spider-Man (19-the last issue) and Spectacular Spider-Man (Skip Sins Remembered...he didn't write it, and it sucked something awful).

As for JMS, I recommend reading all the way up to 508, and then stopping. Pick up the "Hydra" arc, and then be done with it. "Sins Past", "Skin Deep", "The Other", and the "Mr. Parker Goes to Washington" arcs are all mega-uber-colossal-super-crapola-on-a-stick.

I recommend buying Spider-Man: Blue. Great book.

Also, pick up the I (heart) Marvel, Web of Romance. Great story. One issue.

Try out Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1-12 (available in HC). Great story, IMHO. It has some nuances you may not like, but it's still pretty solid.

And, pick up Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm with Stupid. Great mini-series.

The only book currently worth a damn that isn't Ultimate Spider-Man is Sensational Spider-Man. I recommend it.

I also give my stamp of approval with some of those.

Marvel Knights: Spider-man #1-12 was great. Yea it had some problems here and there but as a whole it was a really fun read. Pick that up. It was probably the last good Spider-man story.

Spider-man Blue was freaking great and if it wasn't for JMS could have been a classic. Pick that up too.

There really isn't any Spider-man series on the level of USM right now. Bendis has that series flowing and knows where he wants to go with the story. I mean, if your looking for anything Spider-man related like that, you wont find it at the moment.

ragingdemon155 said:
There really isn't any Spider-man series on the level of USM right now. Bendis has that series flowing and knows where he wants to go with the story. I mean, if your looking for anything Spider-man related like that, you wont find it at the moment.

Amen. As much as people hate on Bendis, I can't take anythign away from him on this book. It's a solid read, and it has actually been more faithful to the original Lee/Ditko character than the 616 Spidey has been as of late.

lol Wolverine, um, prior to 2000, I was subscribed to all Spidey titles. So I don't need those back issues :)

I have seen the covers for the Spiderman Blue and must admit I am curious what its about.

I did pickup a few Jenkins story since he had been one of my favourites since Hellblazer, his character driven style is right up my alley. I think the story arc was about The Chameleon masquerading as Peter, and also another one with a homeless guy (cant remember now).

Thanks for the tips folks! I am curious whats going on with Peter right now, what with the new suit and powers etc. but I am afraid if I do this and judging from fan reactions, I would be supporting a very unpopular Spidey change by returning now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"