In your opinion, which is the best X-Men storyline after the Age of Apocalypse saga?

Cypocalypse

Civilian
Reaction score
Seriously, do you think any storyline after that crossover was as good or even better.

I've read a coupel of issues of the Onslaught saga but it didn't achieve any significant impact on me as much as AOA. I've had a X-Men reading hiatus after that. Somehow, the concept of operation: Zero tolerance didn't appeal to me, nor the introduction of Maggot, Marrow, and Cecilia.

My reading interest went back when the hardcovers were introduced and it became easy to follow Morrison's works. But, I think his work on the X-Men was overrated. His vision was grand, that's for sure but he created too many loopholes in the plot. I don't want to make my post lengthy but to name a few:

a.) Xorn revelation - Nuff said. That means NXM #127 (his origin story) never happaned. He couldn't possibly be Magneto otherwise Emma would have detected him immediately in NXM Annual. Even if Emma missed detecting him, Wolverine should have detected his presence when Xorn became a teacher in the mansion. Actually, Magneto disguising himself as Xorn is too random. Actually, the X-Men's presence in China in that issue was just a side mission. It was not even a mission. They're just attending a funeral for Christ's sake. Mags couldn't possibly have planned the act of disguising himself unless he has a pre-emptive knowledge that the X-Men would be attending a funeral (in which that person's death happened AFTER Magneto disguised himself).

b. The Whole Cassanrda Nova Origin - Nuff Said. *too tired to write the loopholes in tis one*

c. Weapon Plus - Wolverine as Weapon 10 and Captain America as Weapon 1?

Basically, Morrison collapsed under the weight of his own ambition.

On the other hand, Whedon (Morrison's successor) still has something to prove. He's already done two villains (Orc and that Cerebra cyborg) that hardly matters in continuity and will be retconned to oblivion later. He makes an interesting dialogue though.

Honestly, I think the 6-issue arc can be limiting for him. He always have to make arc that would fit 6 issues. Morrison didn't have to be constrained by this limitation.

Even though you're tired, mind explaining which holes there were in Cassandra Nova's origin?

Well aside from the whole fetus wrestling match that was insanely dumb? :p

Heh. That isn't a plothole though, which we are supposed to be describing (loopholes are something completely different by the way).

Yes, any story line that says that by peeing on Iceman's severed ice head you give him enough liquid to reconstitute a new body is priceless.:up:

Tropico said:
Yes, any story line that says that by peeing on Iceman's severed ice head you give him enough liquid to reconstitute a new body is priceless.:up:

Yes, and lets not forget:

PAIGE.jpg

Mutants coming in a circle? There should be more of that. Why isn't there?:(

You want Morrison plotholes? How about "Assault on Weapon Plus"? While Cyclops and Fantomex are on the Weapon Plus sattelite orbiting Earth, the image of a man comes on to the t.v. screen claiming he has a mole in the mansion. Many readers claim this was Sublime talking, but if it was Morrison didn't do a good job making that clear. And then if you want another plothole...Cyclops and Fantomex later find E.V.A., (Fantomex's personal flying saucer/nervous system) bound up on the sattelite, just in time for her to explode. And as they're evacuating the exploding sattelite, their shuttle explodes along with the rest of it. Then a few issues into the "Planet X" storyline, Cyclops, Fantomex, and E.V.A. are somehow not only miraculously alive, but also underground in NYC, with all of the students from Xavier's. Explain that one to me.

But good storylines you say? "Gifted" the first story in Astonishing X-Men was beyond great. If you cut out the whole "House of M" thing, "Decimation" was actually pretty good. The number of mutants out there was getting way out of control, and kind of went against the whole "hated and feared minority" thing. And, when I first heard bout it, I was psyched for "Deadly Genesis". The first issue was great, cause Trevor Hairsine's art gives off a great creepy, mysterious vibe that was perfect for this book. Then Scott Hannah took over on the actual linework and it was just "meh". And they should've kept the whole 3rd Summers brother schtick out of this.

You have to explain it because it's your favorite.:confused:

no it's not my favorite i was pointing out plotholes. sorry i wasn't clear at first.

this thread is ridiculous.

since when is aoa the "best" x-men storyline?

Their not saying it's the best, their saying it's the last great one. Which I'm not sure I agree with, but whatever.

photojones2 said:
well, today is a sad day.

No, it isn't. Darthphere and I were having fond memories of a spectacular storyarc. He even posted a pic of mutants coming in a circle. Don't you have a cool pic like that that you could post from AoA?

I dont get it, this guy is bashing Morrison, but then he goes on to say that Whedon isnt as good because he does 6 issue arcs? Im confused.

Tropico said:
No, it isn't. Darthphere and I were having fond memories of a spectacular storyarc. He even posted a pic of mutants coming in a circle. Don't you have a cool pic like that that you could post from AoA?

Oh man, remember when Mystique had sex with the Devil and thats why Nightcrawler looks like a demon. Awesome Chuck Austen is the man for getting rid of the irony and metaphoric appearance of Nightcrawler.

I really didn't collect a lot of comics, but i really quite liked a large portion of the joseph/clone stuff.

i also liked the prime sentinel stuff.

Darthphere said:
Oh man, remember when Mystique had sex with the Devil and thats why Nightcrawler looks like a demon. Awesome Chuck Austen is the man for getting rid of the irony and metaphoric appearance of Nightcrawler.

Yeah, that was beautiful. But not as beautiful as seeing Angel's slimy eggs in a shack. And then seeing Angel and Beak's babies....I'm sorry, my eyes are watering and I'm all choked up.

AoA IS one of the best X-Men storyarcs. No denying that. Wish we had more good arcs like that these days :(

Doc Destruction said:
AoA IS one of the best X-Men storyarcs. No denying that. Wish we had more good arcs like that these days :(

Hahahahahaha! Youre such a hypocrite.:up:

Doc Destruction said:

aoa is pure 90's hype.

the only decent thing to come out of that was generation next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"