• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Great foreign films.

Sophie Scholl

user-5016428_1167781663.jpg

Taxandria

taxandria_aff.jpg

Cronos

200px-Cronos.jpg

Any Way The Wind Blows

Anyway_the_wind_01.jpg

Breathless
Jean De Florette
Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Siberian Barber

I echo some of the other choices listed here but my favorites would be....

Seven Samurai
The Heroic Trio (not great but stylistically interesting)
House of Flying Daggers

The City of Lost Children
Amelie
The Long Engagement

Soldier of Orange
Black Book (not great but enjoyable)

Mediterrano
My Life as a Dog

The 39 Steps (early Hitchcock before he came to the USA)

The bicycle Theives - Vittorio de Seca
Stalker - Tarkovsky
Umberto d - Seca

My favourite foreign films (English Names)
Pan's Labyrinth
Hero
House Of Flying Daggers
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Son Of Rambow
Keeping Mum

and a whole load more.:o

Der Untergang (Downfall)

DerUntergang_websize.jpg

Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud (Elevator to the Gallows)

affiche-1-medium.jpg

F***ing Åmål (Show Me Love)

475636-200x500.jpg

Die Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum)

blechtrommel225.jpg

Det Sjunde Inseglet (The Seventh Seal)

seventhseal.jpg

The Discovery of Heaven

discheaven.jpg

Turks Fruit (Turkish Delight)

turkishdelight.jpg

One to avoid:

51BV1GZKT9L.jpg

Kung Fu Hustle was OK. Loved the scene with the three Heroes. Awesome combination of music and action. That scene is the reason I got the movie.

Good war movie:
downfallxs1.jpg

^Ditto to Downfall, A very Long Engagement, and Pan's

I would also add

y-tu-mama-tambien.jpg

movie_city_of_god_.bigpic.jpg

039_BROTHERHOODOFTHEWOLF_2SIDED~Brotherhood-of-the-Wolf-Posters.jpg

1126303h.jpg

umbrella2.jpg

Amarcord%20s.jpg

The Motorcycle Diaries
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
The Class
Goodbye Lenin!

anything made by Guillermo del Toro in Spain--way, waaay better than his Hollywood stuff

Let the Right One In (although it's not a foreign movie for me :))

_1228495650.jpg

Joong-Ho is a dirty detective turned pimp who finds himself in financial trouble because his girls keep disappearing without clearing their debts. At first he thinks one of his competitors is simply stealing his girls and reselling them for profit. He soon realizes that all the vanished girls were called by the same client, who has just contacted his girl, Mi-Jin. Joong-Ho rushes to confront the client, Young Min, but Mi-Jin is nowhere to be found. With Young Min in custody on suspicion of homocide, the police must find significant evidence against him, or he will be set free within 12 hours. Meanwhile, Joong-Ho searches for Mi-Jin, who may still be alive, but awaits certain death if Young Min is set free...

_1234450919.jpg

Set in the 1930s Manchurian desert where lawlessness rules and many different ethnic groups clash, three Korean men fatefully meet each other on a train. Do-Won (Jung Woo-Sung) is a bounty hunter who tracks down any criminals with rewards on their heads. Chang-Yi (Lee Byung-Hun) is the leader of a group of tough-as-nails bandits. He cannot stand to be the second best. Tae-Goo (Song Kang-Ho) is a train robber with nine lives.
The three strangers engage in a chase across Manchuria to take possession of a map Tae-Goo discovers while robbing the train. Also on the hunt for the mysterious map are the Japanese army and Asian bandits. In this unpredictable, escalating battle for the map, who will stand in the end as the winner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"