'Happytime Murders' starring The Muppets

The trailer got nothing but yuks and applause when it showed before Deadpool. People like wacky r rated shenanigans.

The only film I've ever found Melissa McCarthy funny in is Spy, so I'm not immediately sold on her. Her schtick is boring.

Just a media stunt. The marketing isn’t targeted to kids anyway.

The son of the co-creator of Sesame Street brings about its destruction!

I think this movie could blowup and make a killing at the boxoffice.

One of the funniest trailers i have seen.

The tagline says "No Sesame". Why would people confuse that it IS Sesame. Dumb lawsuit and makes sense it was thrown away.

RT Consensus:

Critics Consensus: The Happytime Murders wastes its intriguingly transgressive premise on a witless comedy that blindly pushes buttons instead of attempting to tell an entertaining story.

26%

Yup. Just Like I thought. What an absolute waste of such a great premise for a movie. This could've easily been the next Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and they degraded it to a raunchy comedy.

Sighhh....

Was considering seeing this over the weekend but yeah, I'll pass. Doesn't sound like it's worth it, unfortunately

RT Consensus:

26%

Yup. Just Like I thought. What an absolute waste of such a great premise for a movie. This could've easily been the next Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and they degraded it to a raunchy comedy.

Sighhh....

DAMNIT. I REALLY though this was gonna be Henson's answer to Ted......

I'll probably go see it since I got that A List thing.

I feel like it would be hilarious after smoking copious amounts of weed.

If only I smoked.

Went ahead and saw it earlier. It's not terrible but it is pretty much raunchy gag after raunchy gag, and I admit I laughed at quite a few. McCarthy is top billed but she's basically the sidekick to the main puppet detective Phil, who is really the lead character.

Went ahead and saw it earlier. It's not terrible but it is pretty much raunchy gag after raunchy gag, and I admit I laughed at quite a few. McCarthy is top billed but she's basically the sidekick to the main puppet detective Phil, who is really the lead character.

Is Phil an interesting character?

Sometimes when you hear about a movie entering development hell, you see the end product reflect the issues. In “The Happytime Murders”, it’s the writing. So, funny story: when the project was picked up by STX, the initial script by Todd Berger was revised by three uncredited people to meet with the studio’s demands to make it more of a raunchy, R-rated comedy than a crime/mystery involving puppets. AND IT SHOWS! The film is heavily marketed as a raunchy comedy, but for the most part it’s a crime noir that turns into a buddy cop film. When the film is stripped of the comedy, it’s a good crime/mystery story, but since the comedy is present and crass, it drags the narrative down.

There are two types of comedies I can’t stand: films that are fully ad libbed or films that aim for nothing but shock value. THIS HAS BOTH, but mostly relies on the latter. One of the earlier scenes takes place in a sex shop where they pull out all the stops for the sake of shock value and it’s not really funny. Only two jokes hit, but the rest are unfunny and juvenile. The comedy works whenever Edwards and Phillips bicker, but then it delves into improv comedy where McCarthy and Baretta are ad libbing. Most of the comedy relies on puppets swearing with the intention of going, “Haha isn’t it funny that a puppet said ‘****’ and is making sexual innuendos?” Yeah, it is at first, but when you beat it to the ground, you’re just coming off as childish and diminishing the integrity your premise has.

You can tell they wanted to make a serious and dark noir that features puppets. Just look at the concept art of the film. It clearly sets the tone the Henson Company was aiming for, but because too many cooks were in the kitchen when STX picked it up you can see the dropoff of all the clever ideas the film had as it decides to take the lazy route.

FULL REVIEW: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-happytime-murders-review

Sometimes when you hear about a movie entering development hell, you see the end product reflect the issues. In “The Happytime Murders”, it’s the writing. So, funny story: when the project was picked up by STX, the initial script by Todd Berger was revised by three uncredited people to meet with the studio’s demands to make it more of a raunchy, R-rated comedy than a crime/mystery involving puppets. AND IT SHOWS! The film is heavily marketed as a raunchy comedy, but for the most part it’s a crime noir that turns into a buddy cop film. When the film is stripped of the comedy, it’s a good crime/mystery story, but since the comedy is present and crass, it drags the narrative down.

There are two types of comedies I can’t stand: films that are fully ad libbed or films that aim for nothing but shock value. THIS HAS BOTH, but mostly relies on the latter. One of the earlier scenes takes place in a sex shop where they pull out all the stops for the sake of shock value and it’s not really funny. Only two jokes hit, but the rest are unfunny and juvenile. The comedy works whenever Edwards and Phillips bicker, but then it delves into improv comedy where McCarthy and Baretta are ad libbing. Most of the comedy relies on puppets swearing with the intention of going, “Haha isn’t it funny that a puppet said ‘****’ and is making sexual innuendos?” Yeah, it is at first, but when you beat it to the ground, you’re just coming off as childish and diminishing the integrity your premise has.

You can tell they wanted to make a serious and dark noir that features puppets. Just look at the concept art of the film. It clearly sets the tone the Henson Company was aiming for, but because too many cooks were in the kitchen when STX picked it up you can see the dropoff of all the clever ideas the film had as it decides to take the lazy route.

FULL REVIEW: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-happytime-murders-review

Good review, thanks.

I laughed so hard at parts my belly hurt LOL

Can't believe critics are trying to pan this off as the worst movie of the year, get a grip.

It never tried to make itself out to be anything more than it was a raunchy, silly comedy and I thought it was hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"