Has Blade always been such a dick?

Jason Blood

Superhero
Reaction score
it's really getting on my nerves how much of a dick Blade is in the series

Oh, Blade definitely had his dick moments in the movies. He hasn't been all that bad in the series, by comparison, except for getting Krista's brother killed and getting her turned into a vampire. . . .oh well, such is life!

i geuss he's got a hard enough life.

dealing with blood cravings, trying to wipe out vampires (a forever job since there are always some around), probably not getting laid a lot cause hes busy busting his butt fighting the vampires, other things.

haha women with pms ain't got nothing on him, now hes got a reason to be a b*tch and moody all the time.

Blade himself doesn't seem too bad, actually. You want to see Blade being a dick, watch his interaction with the Blood Pack in Blade 2. You don't get much more dickish than slapping a bomb to a guy's head for being annoying. :)

Jason Blood said:
it's really getting on my nerves how much of a dick Blade is in the series

What kinda of statement is that???? Thats Blade man. That one of the best things about him. Hes a hardass, plain and simple.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Blade himself doesn't seem too bad, actually. You want to see Blade being a dick, watch his interaction with the Blood Pack in Blade 2. You don't get much more dickish than slapping a bomb to a guy's head for being annoying. :)

Reinhardt was being more than annoying. He was being offensive and also challenging Blade's authority. Since the Blood Pack had been trained to take him down, Blade knew he couldn't trust them and he had to earn their respect right off.

The only time I think Blade was a little too harsh, even though he was right, was when he dismissed the Nightstalkers.

But I don't want a cuddly, drink a beer with me Buddy Blade. I wouldn't mind them including a love of jazz for the TV character, a couple of books, and a love interest or two along the way, but that's it.

You call it being a dick, I call it ATTITUDE!! He needs it in his line of work.

TheCorpulent1 said:

yeah but they where Vampires so they don't count. there just animals that need to be put down in his eyes.

Blade is necessarily a good guy. He's doing a job where niceties serve no purpose.

Golgo13:The Hitman said:
Blade is necessarily a good guy. He's doing a job where niceties serve no purpose.

I'd qualify that statement by adding a "yet" to it.

We may see a softer side of Blade in future flashbacks. Perhaps to when he was younger...

Blade can be a hardass in a movie. In a TV series he's going to eventually need to be a deeper character. Again, I'm not coming back on Wednesdays to watch "Blade and his friends". I want a deep, ass kicking Blade story.

I'm a little worried about the deepening of Blade's character, myself. Judging from the pilot, I'm skeptical that this cast and crew can pull it off without either softening Blade too much or making the emotional core of the character ring false.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I'm a little worried about the deepening of Blade's character, myself. Judging from the pilot, I'm skeptical that this cast and crew can pull it off without either softening Blade too much or making the emotional core of the character ring false.

You made some good points. I have similar misgivings. But I do think the character can be deepened, while still remaining a hardass.

I think we can get more of Blade's character with some broad, though deft strokes.

A few more minutes of him meditating. Also, listening to Jazz. Seeing him read or a few books or two. All non-verbal things to show he has more depth.

Bringing in Karen Jenson, and pursuing something of a love life-giving Blade more of a choice between what type of life he really wants. Also making him doubt if he will ever be successful. A person facing despair and doubt, but still pressing on.

I've heard they are bringing in Blade's father for a later show, played by Richard Roundtree. This could be a great opportunity to get more expansion of Blade's character. We can see some family dynamics.

In the movies Blade had Whistler to play off of, but I have yet to see the show so I don't know if the Shen character plays that role of keeping Blade grounded. From what I've read so far, it appears that Krista is getting more attention than Blade. Which is something that I suspected would happen. Hopefully things will right themselves as the series progresses.

True, more environmental stuff like music and books could make Blade deeper without relying on Sticky.

Shen doesn't really do what Whistler did in the movies. Whistler had the kind of relationship where he could say whatever he wanted to Blade and Blade would take it because Whistler practically raised him. Shen always looks like he's tip-toeing around things because he doesn't want to piss Blade off, and whenever he actually does point something out, Blade usually just shoots him a look and he shuts up.

Calling Blade a d*ck is like calling Batman one. That's just the way he is.

If you were a half man half vampire who hates himself for what he is and the thirst that drives him and "the man" tries to keep you down. You would be a dick too!!!

Not to mention having been forced to kill your own mother, being one man fighting a losing battle to wipe out a group that keeps finding new ways to multiply & sustain themselves, & having very few resources to turn to.

Chris Wallace said:
Not to mention having been forced to kill your own mother, being one man fighting a losing battle to wipe out a group that keeps finding new ways to multiply & sustain themselves, & having very few resources to turn to.
That's probably why he wasn't as much of a dick in the comics. Lots of allies on the vampire-hunting front there. So many, in fact, that they managed to wipe out all vampires at one point.

The onlytime I truly felt that Blade was a dick is when he rammed Sandd head through the wall. :(

stick needs a little more charisma and depth to pull off the attitude...

TheCorpulent1 said:
That's probably why he wasn't as much of a dick in the comics. Lots of allies on the vampire-hunting front there. So many, in fact, that they managed to wipe out all vampires at one point.
Good point. Hadn't thought about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"