Has This Election Cycle Altered Your Relationships With Friends or Family?

Oh, yeah! I try to ignore most of my conservative friends and family posting anti-Obama things on Facebook. However, every so often, they post something that pushes just the right button, and I have to call them on it. It usually ends poorly. I actually had one friend delete my post, and I put his wife on ignore after she called me a Communist for supporting Obama.

And, as of this morning two of my friends, a different couple, deleted me over a political debate. Not too broken up about it, either.

I don't talk about politics with my friends, but my family talks about all the time we're all liberal but there's one conservative.

Like I said, he flat out says that he hopes for Obama and liberals to fail, and that he only wants to see America succeed if it is due to Republican / Tea party conservative policies. If a liberal Democrat is in office, he wants to see America fail.

Is your friend Mitch McConnell? :woot:

Definitely the last one, but not this one. I learned my lesson in '08.

It's a strange and sad occurrence when you realize you can no longer be friends with someone you've been friends with your entire life because they've seemingly overnight become a raging ******* about politics.

My mother seems very confused. She's depressed, though she doesn't follow politics, and her reasons for being depressed are based off "facts" that both sides hurled in attack ads (that have been proven wrong). The only noise in my house right now are from the crickets and my turtle splish-splashing water against his tank.

This particular election cycle has affected my relationships with some friends and family.

It seems like most of my family hates Obama, but the majority of my friends support him. I choose not to comment about politics on facebook to avoid arguing. If someone asks , I tell them I don't care who wins.

Today people are saying "You need to let your voice be heard" and stuff like that. I've been pushing towards that as well.

My girlfriend and I have much different political views but it hasn't affected our relationship. I had no idea she was so conservative until this election though.

I've been extremely mute on facebook about the whole thing, not showing support or disdain for either candidate. I also have family that do not support gay marriage so that's another topic I just remind mute on. There is no way I can change their mind so way bother.

It's a strange and sad occurrence when you realize you can no longer be friends with someone you've been friends with your entire life because they've seemingly overnight become a raging ******* about politics.

Agreed. There are some people here whom I've lost serious respect for due to their participation in this forum. As a result relationships are irrevocably changed. And you're right...it's a very strange and sad situation when you come to that realization that your relationship with those individuals has shifted.

Depending on who you're speaking with, discussing politics or religion can poison a friendship.

Last edited:
I'm the only liberal in a family of hardcore conservatives. I'm damned close to being written out of a few wills.

I think ending relationships is a two way street.

Everybody needs to make the effort to understand. If someone is not making that effort towards you, you need to make the effort to them. It is an attitude. I talk politics with many many people of many different opinions, and I've yet to have a relationship sour. One can make the choice to be agreeable, or they can make the choice to take offense.

Some issues, such as a family not accepting a member being gay or something, are obviously a different story. But beyond that, I cant think of many issues that would be so divisive.

My relationships have dedinitely shifted. Im a liberal in an island of conservative christians. ****ing hate the way politics ruin things.

Last edited:
I had to delete several long-time friends since they would non-stop bash anyone not supporting Obama. I stood up for one of my conservative friends they were harassing and they came after me hard. After trying to calm them down, I finally had enough; I sent a PM stating I was unfriending and I won't be talking to them anytime soon, if at all.

Nope. Know quite a few extremists too, from as far as full blown communists to anarcho libertarians. It's simple, you either don't talk about it, or your political views are so bizarre they don't even want to bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"