Mandatory Voting For All US Citizens, Good Idea Or Not?

I vote, but I don't think the government has the right to force people to.

I've never missed an election since I was eligible to vote. But I strongly believe that people should have the right not to vote as well should they so choose.

"absentee" voting ballots sent to your residence should be the standard at this point. Lots of people don't know enough about who's running or also don't know much about the language of any proposals being offered. Many people are "blindsided" by what they see on the ballot when they show up to their polling place. That, on top of whatever state standards are in paper or electronic balloting. hole punching, scanned checkoffs, etc. More universal standards need to come into place. Particularly for the working poor, those without access to a personal car and the elderly, not everyone can make it to the polls on a single Tuesday, 8 p.m. deadline or not.

I personally read the ballot booklet whenever it comes out.

Highly opinionated people under 40 who use online and social media a lot to voice their views about everything under the sun but rarely step out from behind their screens or put down their phones to do anything about it or engage in the real world.

I'd say internet forums are about refining and testing your opinions and values anonymously and safely.

The outside world doesn't really allow that. People aren't going to sit in a circle and debate and challenge whatever views you want to question or strengthen for hours and hours.

In countries where voting is compulsory, you have the right not to vote. You just have to give a valid reason, or pay a fine.

Voting, or lack thereof, isn't the problem in the US. Education is. Making voting mandatory doesn't mean a goddamn thing if people don't know what they're voting for or why.

Essentially. Or a failure to due your most basic civic duty tax.

I personally HATE the idea of mandatory voting. Simply because people are sheep! They will vote for whomever whatever sounds/looks cool or what the media tells them.

I also dislike the government telling me how to conduct my civic rights! We have dozens of Senators and Congressmen who fail to vote so why should listen to what an adultering, lying, thieving and conniving social leech has to say!

Mandatory voting makes no sense. I could come in and vote for other parties but what the hell is the difference. Someone brought up Stormship Troopers, which they made a valid point. By voting you are exercising authority and some people do not deserve or abuse their authority. Personally, I despise voting and democracy in general. I am for instead of the complete abolition of all parties, complete outlawing of them. Everyone is then FORCED to run independent. People then have to do extra work in researching these candidates then.

If voting is at the heart of American democracy, shouldn't election day be a national holiday?

If you make it a national holiday like Christmas, I'm positive more people will vote, or at least voice their opinion on the matters of our country.

Last edited:
I think voting should be a national holiday, and that there are centralized locations for each district and everyone has to show up, and no more of this electronic voting bull. They simply set up sections for each candidate and the people who are for that candidate go to those sectons and we get a head count. Make sure there are tons of cameras and witnesses that way there is no way there could be voter fraud.

If voting is at the heart of American democracy, shouldn't election day be a national holiday?

If you make it a national holiday like Christmas, I'm positive more people will vote, or at least voice their opinion on the matters of our country.

We also got a lot of other holidays that are not religious base, but tend to overlap eachother. Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Presidents Day come to mind. I say, take the Presidents day and turn that holiday into the National Voting day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"