The Amazing Spider-Man The Web of Spider-Man: Peter's Circle of friends, family, and well wishers

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
Since this movie is going to reboot everything, What do you want Peter Parker's line up of friends and acquaintances to be?

Peter's circle of friends, family, and acquaintances, seem to change from movie, to cartoon, to comic, they have seem different. They made changes to the line up to better suit their story.

In the original comic Peter had NO friends. He was a lonely kid at school, bullied by Flash Thompson. He started dating Betty Brant who he met at the Bugle. Liz Allen had a crush on Peter, and that sort of became a love triangle with him Liz and Betty. It wasn't until College that he met Harry Osborne and Gwen Stacey. Later meeting MJ on a blind date, but not until college.

In the 90s cartoon show Peter knew Harry, and I guess I forgot Harry was friends with Flash. Later Mj came into the picture, and Peter, MJ, and Harry, became good friends. Flash was still there, but I think later sort of stepped out of the picture. Betty Brant was never there, and Gwen was only shown in a alternate reality. I don't know about Liz Allen. Uncle Ben had already died off screen. Aunt May was always there.
They changed things because they couldn't show Gwen get killed. Even Kraven didn't die on that show, nor did the Green Goblin. Since it was a kid show they changed the circle of friends Peter had.

In the Raimi movies Peter's circle of friends and family changed again. Peter lost Uncle Ben on camera this time, and Aunt May was there yet again. But Peter was now best friends with Harry Osborne. MJ was dating Flash Thompson. After high school she became good friends with Harry and Peter.
But Gwen was never there. Betty Brant was introduced, but only as a friend (Peter hit on her once). And there was No Liz Allen.
I don't know why certain changes were made for the Raimi movies. Why MJ was there all along, and not a blind date like in the comics. I don't know why Gwen was cut out until SM3. But maybe the changes were along the same lines as the cartoon. maybe they didn't know if they would complicate things with the Gwen Stacey story, or if the tone was right. Or maybe they did what some have mentioned merging Gwen and MJ's character. I get why Flash was tossed, because he wasn't needed and Peter graduated so there you go. But Peter's circle of friends, family, and acquaintances, were changed.

In the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon show, things were changed yet again. Peter's circle of friends became Gwen and Harry. Peter asked out Betty Brant, but after talking with Aunt May she turned him down. MJ was a blind date and is now more of a friend. Flash and Liz Allen, and now more schoolmates, are featured. Peter also lives with Aunt May. But again, things were changed from the comics, the previous cartoon, and from the Raimi movies.

The line up of friends and family are different, each cartoon, movie, or comic, set up different lineups of friends and acquaintances for Peter to interact with.
So, after such a long introduction, my question is this:
What should the line up of Peter's friends, family, and acquaintances, be for the new rebooted Spider-Man movies?

Should Peter have no friends, and be bullied by Flash, crushed on by Liz, and date Betty Brant?
Should Peter, Harry, MJ, and Gwen be friends at the same High school?
Should they try something different? Should Peter have no friends, Harry and Gwen hang out with Flash, and eventually they learn what a great guy Peter is? Or something different still?
Tell me what you would like to see in the upcoming Spider-man movies.

Im going to throw this out. Gwen should be the first love interest of Spider-man. No doubt about it.

yeah, and she has to die. to make room for mj of course. id like to see robbie as like a lil bit of a guiding light for peter.

Just stick with the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon for like.... everything.:awesome:

At home:
Aunt May
Anna Watson (Across the street)
Mary Jane Watson (Through Anna)

At school:
Gwen Stacy
Flash Thompson
Harry Osborn
Liz Allen

At the Bugle:
J. Jonah
Robbie
Betty Brant (as a reporter)
Glory Grant (as Jonah's secretary)

- Norman Osbourne (Ralph Fiennes) as the primary investor of Connors' research, looking into the cellular regeneration for his performance enhancers. Enamoured of Peter, as in the first film, but slightly downplayed because he should be a busy man. Attacked by the Lizard in the middle of the film as Connors lays some blame on him for what he has become. He lives, but the trauma begins a long line of bad, stressful days that eventually lead to his self-testing of the unstable performance enhancers.

- Curt Connors (Robert Sean Leonard) as Peter's biology teacher and father figure. Frequently transforms into the Lizard throughout the first film. Doesn't die, but slowly fades out of Peter's life and quits his job at the school for the danger he might present.

- Gwen Stacy (Taylor Momsen) as Peter's love interest in the first film, though they're only dating, not in an exclusive relationship. She dies mid-second film, just as Peter is about to choose her for a longer term commitment.

- Mary-Jane Watson (Emma Stone) introduced at the end of the first film, in the blind date scenario. Returns in second film as a senior at Peter's high school. Consoles him after Gwen's death and becomes his main love interest mid-second film.

- Harry Osbourne (Anton Yelchin) in a very minor role, because his role was pretty fleshed out in the original trilogy, and frankly I'm tired of him.

- Flash Thompson (No idea) as a recurring minor antagonist, but not a growling menace like he was in the first. Just someone who occasionally mocks Peter and praises Spider-Man, ala Spectacular, though they become friends in the third film when Brock shows up and starts messing with Peter. (One of those 'no one bullies [insert name here] but me' scenarios.) Or, make him the bastard half-friend of Peter who torments him more often than he keeps him good company, ala Todd Packer on The Office.

Last edited:
For the love of god, if we get Liz Allen, do not make her the annoying politically correct latina version we got in Spectacular. She was SO.ANNOYING.

I wanted to throw things at her everytime she called Peter, Petey.

Just curious, what was annoying about her for you?
Was it just the Petey thing? Because that came straight from the comics.

I found Liz Allen annoying in the comics too, always hanging on Peter flirting big time right in front of Betty. Then Betty would get mad at Peter when he had no real interest in Liz. (in the comic anyway.)

It was the combonation of her voice and character in that show, then, I've never been a fan of Peter/Liz. Liz will always be Harry's girl to me.

Aunt May
Gwen Stacy
Flash Thompson
Harry Osborn
Eddie Brock
Liz Allen
J. Jonah
Robbie
Betty Brant
Anna Watson
Mary Jane Watson
Dr. Curtis Connors

Last edited:
Basically how SSM has it set up.

I like how they handled Brock especially. We could see his transformation to the dark side spanning a few films. Same with Harry.

It was the combonation of her voice and character in that show, then, I've never been a fan of Peter/Liz. Liz will always be Harry's girl to me.

Oh, I can't wait to see that in the cartoon. Even if they never do that, it would be fun. (Spectacular Spider-Man, have Peter graduate and keep things sort of evolving. like Liz and Harry.)

I am fine with Peter, Harry, and Gwen being friends. I am also fine with MJ being part of their group, sort of. Peter needs friends in the movie.
I think Flash and Liz should be part of the in crowd, while Peter and his group are sort of the anti in crowd. Flash isn't the menacing beat Peter to death that he was in Raimi's movie. Mostly because I want him around to cheer for Spider-man (and not have you hate him).
At work there is Jameson, Robby, Betty, Gloria maybe, maybe even Ned Leeds, and I would like one of the characters in the Bugle to be Foswell.
At Home is Aunt May, Miss Watson next door.
When Peter goes to Harry's we see Norman Osborne (who seems menacing without doing anything. I do think Norman should be some what interested in Peter, more than his own son.)
When Peter goes to Gwen's we see Captain Stacey, the strong loving father.
These two homes would be important to show Peter different types of families.

I am fine if they leave out Connors, and Brock, for the time being.
I am also fine with Ned Leeds and Foswell not showing up, or Brant not having much of a story. If Peter has Gwen and MJ, Brant and Liz aren't needed much if at all.

The characters in Spectacular Spider-man were a lot more interestingly portrayed then anything in the movies IMO.

Liz Allen is suppose to be annoying.

I could see the benefit of making Peter Parker have no friends at school. And only really getting along with folks at the Daily Bugle, especially Betty. I could see how that might work too. Although I do think Peter needs friends.

I liked the 'Debra Whitman' character from the 90s TAS. She was Peter's friend but also his scientific rival. The general consensus was that debra was brighter than Peter, but he was never as commited to his work as she was (being distracted by his life as spider-man). Was this character in the comics??
She eventually became Connor's research assistant, beating Parker and others to the job. Then she ended up becoming involved with flash thompson. An opposites attract sort of thing. Gwen Stacy in SSM was totally based on Debra Whitman from TAS.

I think a good MJ story would have been what the 90's TAS did with Hydro-man. Especially the way MJ defeated him instead of Spidey

-Anna Watson: Aunt May's best friend and she's the one to introduce MJ to Peter.
-Mary-Jane Watson: Is the very attractive new girl at school. Becomes a good friend of Peter's. She's seen flirting with Peter from time to time. Starts dating Harry for a while, but they soon break-up.
-Gwen Stacy: Is beautiful and smart. She and Peter help Dr. Curt Connors out in his lab. She and Peter become friends and eventually get into a relationship. She dies at the hands of the Green Goblin.
-Harry Osborn: Peter's best friend and son of Norman Osborn, the CEO of Oscorp. He tries to keep guys like Flash Thompson off of Peter's back, but often fails. He has a crush on MJ. After the disappearance/"death" of his father, he starts taking pills.
-Flash Thompson: Is the bully, but after getting to know Peter, they start becoming friends.
-Dr. Curt Connors: Peter's friend and mentor. Later turns into The Lizard.
-Norman Osborn: CEO of Oscorp and Harry's dad. Becomes the villain the Green Goblin and kills Gwen Stacy. After his battle with Spider-man he disappears and is assumed dead.
-Betty Brant: Works at The Daily Bugle, just as Peter. Is sometimes seen flirting with Peter.
-J. Jonah Jameson: Peter's boss at The Daily Bugle.

-Anna Watson: Aunt May's best friend and she's the one to introduce MJ to Peter.
-Mary-Jane Watson: Is the very attractive new girl at school. Becomes a good friend of Peter's. She's seen flirting with Peter from time to time. Starts dating Harry for a while, but they soon break-up.
-Gwen Stacy: Is beautiful and smart. She and Peter help Dr. Curt Connors out in his lab. She and Peter become friends and eventually get into a relationship. She dies at the hands of the Green Goblin.
-Harry Osborn: Peter's best friend and son of Norman Osborn, the CEO of Oscorp. He tries to keep guys like Flash Thompson off of Peter's back, but often fails. He has a crush on MJ. After the disappearance/"death" of his father, he starts taking pills.
-Flash Thompson: Is the bully, but after getting to know Peter, they start becoming friends.
-Dr. Curt Connors: Peter's friend and mentor. Later turns into The Lizard.
-Norman Osborn: CEO of Oscorp and Harry's dad. Becomes the villain the Green Goblin and kills Gwen Stacy. After his battle with Spider-man he disappears and is assumed dead.
-Betty Brant: Works at The Daily Bugle, just as Peter. Is sometimes seen flirting with Peter.
-J. Jonah Jameson: Peter's boss at The Daily Bugle.

dude you forgot robbie, lol. nah, id like to see robbie as like a heavy influence on peter, like in TAS

Gwen Stacy in SSM was totally based on Debra Whitman from TAS.

No. Gwen in the show was, basically, a high school version of comic book Gwen. During the series, she grows and becomes more like in the comics. The same thing occurs to Harry Osborn.

I'm gonna go with the way Spectacular Spiderman series is. The way they portrayed all the characters in it was excellent and fun to watch. Especially the portrayal of Eddie Brock. It was great. I'm hoping to see him in the film. :D

Home

1. Aunt May
2. Aunt Anna
3. Mary Jane

School

1. Gwen Stacy
2. Harry Osborn
3. Liz Allen
4. Flash Thompson

Daily Bugle

1. J Jonah Jameson
2. Robbie Robertson
3. Betty Brant
4. Eddie Brock

Other

1. Curt Conners
2. Captain Stacy

I agree with everyone who's said to do it like Spectacular Spider-Man. Seriously, if they do it like the show, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"