Hasbro…Up to Ares Wave

newavengers12

Avengers Assemble!
Reaction score
Well, we have already eight waves under the big H management. That is without counting all the two packs and exclusives…

My thoughts…Hasbro began weak with some pretty bad sculpts (Emma …) and some bad paint apps too (Banshe’s skin tone, Herc smilie face)…well actually I really like the Herc fig…I just do not look at his mouth!

Series 1-Annihilus Wave. Annihilus was a pretty solid BAF, I know is short for what TB used to do for ONLY four waves(Galactus, Sentinel, Apocalypse and Giant Man), But if you pose Annihilus next to the smaller BAF from TB, he looks quite good…and even better than some of them. This wave had some fails in it…Like mixing X3 Beast with the Legends line, but TB did that too (Blade, DD…) so not bad at all. WW Hulk could use more detail….But they did it in the Foom wave, so….They learned that lesson!
Singles 6.5 of 10
BAF 8.5 of 10

Series 2- Blob Wave. Another SOLID BAF in Blob…He can’t be a single packed fig, so he deserves the BAF treatment IMO. The failure in this wave has to be movie Jean…No use for her whatsoever, but, I needed that perfectly done Blob. This series carries a very nice king Thor, YJ, Quickie, Xorn and Shulkie are awesome figs… They loose points with Ult. Wolvie and Juggs (for adding him in a Legends line, better have done a X3 movie figures wave!).
Singles 7.5 of 10
BAF 8.5 of 10 (if Blob have had a better articulated neck I would have scored him a 9)

Series 3- Ronan Wave. Ronan…He might not have to be a BAF…But he came out actually pretty nice. I love this Reed, also, this Thing is up in my list as my favorite Thing (I know this will shock a lot of people, but I do like him that much). SS and Namor are ok…They could be better but not as bad as Luke Cage or Ultron… Sue…oh Sue, she can be better too. I think her head is a bit small… HT head just frustrated me, I was hoping for the first sculpt they showed…This waves Doom is the best so far, period. And Mole Man is a nice fig, very nicely done.
Singles 8 of 10 (ok, ok…but I really loved this wave…REALLY)
BAF 8.5 of 10

Series 4- Spider-Man Wave. Congratulations Hasbro….You made me do the unthinkable…I skipped a Marvel Legends wave, Thank you so much. Come on, a repaint wave and a Sandman that looked like cat litter… No way. They loose credibility with this wave. Here is where I started doubting if I will continue to collect ML’s…. I gought Venom, Harry and Sandman from the wave that came without the BAF pieces…I like the Venom thou!

Note : If somebody has this wave…Feel free to post a review and score…Please. I can’t judge them if I don’t have/like them.

Series 5- Brood Queen Series- Black Knight is a pretty decent figure… I do hope the do another…classic version of him! Hydra goons, not as articulated as we wanted…But first army builder, SO, they got me for 25 of them! All of the X-Men characters are truly score (yes including X3 Colossus, shinny variant obviously). Cap and Bucky are nice interpretations from his classic days. I think the sculpt on Cap is awesome, very nicely done. They could have use another tone for the red, but not bad at all. The BAF is not as good as it looks. It is a problem to keep her standing on those crappy legs… The head sculpt on the Queen is superb and the wash on her was one of the first washes Hasbro gave us…So not bad at all in that area.
Singles- 8.5 of 10
BAF 6 of 10

Series 6- Fing Fang Foom Series- FFF Might be THE best BAF we have ever had…I know lots of you guys will desperetly scream SENTINEL!!! But guys, look at the Foomer and be honest to yourselves….The paint apps in this figure are superb…the tones they used to paint him are awesome…lots of articulation and posabilities. In advance…this is the only other BAF I will score a perfect 10 aside from the Sentinel. Aside from Grey Hulk, She Hulk’s head popping off …This wave is pretty solid. I wanted a Doc Samson, and Absorbing Man is pretty decent IMO. Wendigo is monstrous.
Singles 9 of 10 (could be 9 if not for Grey Hulk)
BAF 10 of 10

Series 7- Red Hulk Wave- I am waiting for this set via trade…But for the pics I have seen, that Red Hulk came out pretty nice, he is just missing articulation on the hands to come pretty close to a 9! Except from Adam, all the figs in this wave are scores. I know, another Wolvie, Spidey etc…But we are getting requested character in the mix, so no problem with me. And even less problem when the Symbiote Spidey IS as cool as this one! The problem I see with Adam is, that he looks like if they painted a base body with very simple colors… This is one fig I will be working on!
Singles 9 of 10
BAF 9 of 10

Series 8- Ares Wave- I know I will get it for this….I does not have them in my hands yet…They are on the mail! BUT…I saw the pics over at marvellegends.net, and THIS is the only wave I can say is a complete success. The only thing I can see is Ben Reilly hands…But he is not Spidey…is a supporting character, SO, no problem with that. All figures are SOLID…and this wave has what I think will be the most photogenic BAF ever…. Not a big review here…IF you don’t have this wave yet…Run to a Walmart near you and get it fast!
Singles 10 of 10
BAF 10 of 10

Series 9- Nemesis Wave- Coming out December 2008…Lets see….

Two packs…I just want to say, that the only thing these two packs has to envy from the old TB Face Offs…are the comic books, backdrops and display stands. The figures are pretty solid, IMO. At least the first 3 packs that have hit retail.

Exclusives- All of the SDCC Exclusives has been awesome. Stan, Shulkie and Savege Land Set….. No faults whatsoever…Maybe some minor spot here and there…But I am pretty pleased with them… Keep them coming Hasbro!

TRU exclusives have been a FAILURE…Diamond Emma, Silverine. I have them…but just because I got them for $2 each!

What do you think of Hasbro’s run? I personally think they started bad, but they have find the groove with Red Hulk, Ares and Foom waves. I also think they will get better for next year; maybe those two packs start coming with some BAF pieces, to assemble LARGER characters, like 18 to 20 inchers… Master Mold, Ymir, etc.

The two pack boxes are bigger and have lots of empty space inside. Maybe they also think of this. I think these last waves will be crucial for them to determine if they continue the BAF concept or not. If the BAF continue to be in the 8 to 9 inches…We’ll have to stick to it…If they are as awesome as Ares!!!

I know I am missing some important points but, I will bring them up as the post flows…and I remember them

Series 4- Spider-Man Wave. Congratulations Hasbro….You made me do the unthinkable…I skipped a Marvel Legends wave, Thank you so much. Come on, a repaint wave and a Sandman that looked like cat litter… No way. They loose credibility with this wave. Here is where I started doubting if I will continue to collect ML’s…. I gought Venom, Harry and Sandman from the wave that came without the BAF pieces…I like the Venom thou!

Note : If somebody has this wave…Feel free to post a review and score…Please. I can’t judge them if I don’t have/like them. [/FONT]
I got 6 of 8 of that wave (trilogy Vemon I liked better and regular SM I got at a flea market years ago). This wave only really had three repaints. Red/blue Spider-man, Doc Ock, and Green Goblin. Vemon New, Goblin, and Black Spider-man were new. Even if the trilogy series was released first. This wave had two real turds, Mary Jane and black Spider-man. Even Hasbro knew MJ was bad, they packed her with a stand. :oldrazz: She'd NEVER stand up otherwise. Despite the fact that she has no knee or ankle joints. She also can't hold her board weapon (the hands on mine might just be too big). MJ is also another example of an actor not wanting their face on a toy, the face they did give it looks like she has downs syndrome. Black Spider-man is a really bad sculpt. He's hunched, and the upper torso piece prevents his arms from moving freely. Also one arm has a weird pose so you can stick the web into it. Just bad all around. Green Goblin's only fault is that he doesn't have pumpkin bombs for his hands. Doc Ock no major complaints, he's a premium repaint (Hasbro corporate speak for more paint apps to make details pop). I do keep almost loosing his shades. Plus one leg is a little wonky. Sandman, only one flaw here. His leg is all bent funny from being packaged. If you were to point both feet forwards he couldn't stand. Other than that good articulation and good paint apps. Even a good likeness to Thomas Haden Church. He would have been perfect if they'd given him the ability to swap hands for weapons.

The BAF is crap. The arms are all that move, and only at the shoulders. Really makes me wish that another Spidey villian had made a cameo in the movie so they could have been the BAF.

Series 3- Ronan Wave, Series 4- Spider-Man Wave, Series 6- Fing Fang Foom Series,Series 7- Red Hulk Wave,Series 8- Ares Wave - never found them in target, Wal-mart or TRU.

Marvel Legends are dead to me now.

I got 6 of 8 of that wave (trilogy Vemon I liked better and regular SM I got at a flea market years ago). This wave only really had three repaints. Red/blue Spider-man, Doc Ock, and Green Goblin. Vemon New, Goblin, and Black Spider-man were new. Even if the trilogy series was released first. This wave had two real turds, Mary Jane and black Spider-man. Even Hasbro knew MJ was bad, they packed her with a stand. :oldrazz: She'd NEVER stand up otherwise. Despite the fact that she has no knee or ankle joints. She also can't hold her board weapon (the hands on mine might just be too big). MJ is also another example of an actor not wanting their face on a toy, the face they did give it looks like she has downs syndrome. Black Spider-man is a really bad sculpt. He's hunched, and the upper torso piece prevents his arms from moving freely. Also one arm has a weird pose so you can stick the web into it. Just bad all around. Green Goblin's only fault is that he doesn't have pumpkin bombs for his hands. Doc Ock no major complaints, he's a premium repaint (Hasbro corporate speak for more paint apps to make details pop). I do keep almost loosing his shades. Plus one leg is a little wonky. Sandman, only one flaw here. His leg is all bent funny from being packaged. If you were to point both feet forwards he couldn't stand. Other than that good articulation and good paint apps. Even a good likeness to Thomas Haden Church. He would have been perfect if they'd given him the ability to swap hands for weapons.

The BAF is crap. The arms are all that move, and only at the shoulders. Really makes me wish that another Spidey villian had made a cameo in the movie so they could have been the BAF.

That line killed me man! LOL! :pal::lmao:

Series 3- Ronan Wave, Series 4- Spider-Man Wave, Series 6- Fing Fang Foom Series,Series 7- Red Hulk Wave,Series 8- Ares Wave - never found them in target, Wal-mart or TRU.

Marvel Legends are dead to me now.

Sorry to hear that Kable24... :csad:

I have some of those, If you still want to try them...

how exactly is Annihilus small? he seems pretty much in scale to me.

Sorry to hear that Kable24... :csad:

I have some of those, If you still want to try them...

Thank you for the offer, but I've moved on to collecting different Marvel figures. I'm collecting those lead figures and certain transformers.

how exactly is Annihilus small? he seems pretty much in scale to me.

Yeah, by small I meant that he was the first BAF by Hasbro and was not in the 15+ inch scale... But he is in scale...at least for his comic biography...He is not a giant! :woot:

Thank you for the offer, but I've moved on to collecting different Marvel figures. I'm collecting those lead figures and certain transformers.

Those lead figures are great. I see them everytime in my LCS.

Cool man! Show us some pics soon!

yeah I need to post my setups.

I just got my savage lands set I just noticed when I opened the flap to look in that Shanna is Savage She-Hulk from the Foom set.

All that aside they made her look 100 times better than that she-hulk and actually put detail in the head.

I hate almost every figure in the foom wave except Doc, Absorbing man, and Wendingo(crap mold but its wendingo).

all that said hasbro's got much better from where they started.

Hasbro......the things they've done wrong:

besides the obvious:

They do not distribute well to Canada (or at all it seems)

there have been no Flight holes in people backs........they should do this for collectors as they should realize that many collectors have multiple sentinels which means multiple flight bases.

And Puerto Rico seems to be pretty much HML-less... I've only seen Annihilus (parts of it... Never saw a Hulk...) Blob... (Which only Jean can be seen and sometimes an Ult Wolvie shoes it's ugly Abe-Lincoln face) and a couple of Non-shiny X-3 Colossi. Never saw the Spidey movie line... (saw the re-releases sans-BAF parts) The F-4 was MIA... and the Walmart Exclusive has been a no show for me... (But the same thing happened to me with the Giant Man wave...) Haven't seen the two-packs or the FFFoom wave... It sucks that I'd have to hunt online for the figs... (or beg for family and friends to buy them for me when they're on Continental US... I actually miss making trips to the stores and leaving with MLs... But I've seen plenty of Silverines and Diamond Emmas, but I don't want them...

the only reason I have the Diamond Emma Frost and the Black Queen figures from toysrus is cause they cost 3 dollars total.

And Puerto Rico seems to be pretty much HML-less... I've only seen Annihilus (parts of it... Never saw a Hulk...) Blob... (Which only Jean can be seen and sometimes an Ult Wolvie shoes it's ugly Abe-Lincoln face) and a couple of Non-shiny X-3 Colossi. Never saw the Spidey movie line... (saw the re-releases sans-BAF parts) The F-4 was MIA... and the Walmart Exclusive has been a no show for me... (But the same thing happened to me with the Giant Man wave...) Haven't seen the two-packs or the FFFoom wave... It sucks that I'd have to hunt online for the figs... (or beg for family and friends to buy them for me when they're on Continental US... I actually miss making trips to the stores and leaving with MLs... But I've seen plenty of Silverines and Diamond Emmas, but I don't want them...

You are correct Doc...I am from Caguas and I found the Giant Man wave in Walmart Hatillo... Never again I have seen another exclusive or regular wave here. The Rulk wave I will be getting is via trade with Green Scar...and the Ares wave is via two trades over at Fwoosh!

I really don't know why WM don't get exclusives over here...Crap, of all the Walmart's, the ones in Puerto Rico are the top selling ones...They should think of that!

Last edited:
Hasbro......the things they've done wrong:

besides the obvious:

They do not distribute well to Canada (or at all it seems)

there have been no Flight holes in people backs........they should do this for collectors as they should realize that many collectors have multiple sentinels which means multiple flight bases.

Hey roughy...I heard over at fwoosh that Hasbro will began shipping to Canada... Have you checked out lately???

Generally once a week.....most we got was up to the Blob Wave and tru exclusives

Hey roughy...I heard over at fwoosh that Hasbro will began shipping to Canada... Have you checked out lately???
The problem is that comic based superhero figs don't sell well here. And that Wal-Mart Canada's toy department is on crack. They still stock Legendary heroes, a dead line. When DCUC and ML are quite live. The other thing is that locally ML were clearanced out and cancelled at Wal-Mart and Zellers. All TRU has is silverine/clear Emma/Black Queen exclusives. Which even a $4 each still aren't selling.

Wow that IS bad... Damn. I am sorry pals! But I am kind of in the same boat...All these retailers exclusives I have had to get them via trade or e-store....They don't ship exclusives here... and we are part of the States....That is Bull*****!

But at least I am happy with the latest waves. :)

The Hasbro figures are certainly getting better, but I wish they were more consistent. I mean, look at the Target Exclusive wave. Black Spidey has the Toybiz double elbows and knees, but then Adam Warlock has the stupid Hasbro swivel elbows and knees. Does that make any sense?! Why wouldn't they make them all the same?

Hey...That is right. I would like a bit more of consistency from them. But they are getting better. We will have to wait...Maybe when they reach Toy Biz total of 16 waves, they'll match up in the quality of the Legends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"