Have pity on a fellow nerd...

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
Can someone explain the appeal of sports to me? I've tried watching sports before, but I just cant get interested. I guess most people just like the competition, just like I like the competition in politics. (Sorry, people hate it when I compare sports and politics. :o )

Also, it seems like mega fans are really just as nerdy as comic fans. Some people know the stats of the 1968 Dodgers, just like I know what happened in such and such an issue of Amazing Spider-Man. Why is it ok to be a sports "nerd" but not a comic nerd? Thoughts?

Being a sports fan has about as much explanation as anything else one follows, or is avid about...you just are.

Isn't being on this message board already put us in the nerd catagory anyway?

I just find it fascinating what the body can do.
I don't watch football as much as I used to, like when I was a teen.
I'm more into the X type Games and those are really intense. I don't get all riled up. I can go to a soccer game and just sit and watch, I've been given **** for that. That itself is a turn off from the game. Why can't I enjoy the mother****ing game the why I want to? I mean damn. :mad: :p

Can someone explain the appeal of sports to me? I've tried watching sports before, but I just cant get interested. I guess most people just like the competition, just like I like the competition in politics. (Sorry, people hate it when I compare sports and politics. :o )

Also, it seems like mega fans are really just as nerdy as comic fans. Some people know the stats of the 1968 Dodgers, just like I know what happened in such and such an issue of Amazing Spider-Man. Why is it ok to be a sports "nerd" but not a comic nerd? Thoughts?

You like a TV show? A type of genre... maybe a soap? Cartoon... COMICS (go figure)... its the same thing... everyone has their own interests... I hate people asking others "what is the appeal of this" when it is something so general as sports as a whole... its the competitive factor on top of the stories and REALISM that compell us... that should be a no brainer to anyone.

Realism excluding the likes of Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa...

My appeal was PLAYING THEM not watching them......and once you played a couple you love to watch it. In other words if you didnt like to play sports, you will never get interested in watching them.

They're fun to do when your good at them.

Some tend to see the human body as a mechanisim, the potential for force and accuracy, strength and physical aptidude...what's not to dig.
I wish there were a ring for bedroom/floor/furniture sexual aptitude, Then Surfer would have to change tha name to Barry Sanders:hehe:

Then there's women's tennis & Volleyball:o

My appeal was PLAYING THEM not watching them......and once you played a couple you love to watch it. In other words if you didnt like to play sports, you will never get interested in watching them.

Yup, that must be my problem. I played baseball as a kid, but I never took it seriously. I was goofing off as much as playing. As soon as the other kids started getting deadly serious about it, I lost interest pronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"