How Long Have We Been Reading Comics?

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics' started by PhotoJones, Apr 8, 2006.

1. PhotoJones

PhotoJones Registered

alright, here's something i searched for, but couldn't find a thread:

how long have we been reading comics? what was your first purchased comic, and how old were you?

and how many back issues did you need to buy to understand that ONE comic? :)

my first comic was x-men 37 (part 4 of the phalanx covenant) and i was able to understand a good deal of it, actually. but then i went back and got all the back issues. i guess that's about 13 years now for me.

2. GNR

GNR Registered

I have a slew of back issues of Avengers,Uncanny/Wolverine/X-Men from the 80s and early 90s.However,they just sit there and I never read them.

I find myself usually reading my newer books more often than I do the really older ones.I started collecting comics monthly last August.

3. Elijya

Elijya Registered

been reading since I was 9 in 1991, so I'm 14 years in

4. Ironfan72

Ironfan72 Golden Avenger

Been reading Iron Man since I was 9 years old,so around 24 yrs.

5. Valorman

Valorman Registered

i started in 1994 when i was six, and i'd trace over my comics untill panels ripped out.

so that's ten years for me

6. Darthphere

Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Ive been reading on and off since I was 5. I got seriously into it at 8. So id say since 1994 is about correct.

7. deathshead2

deathshead2 Registered

on and off sense the marvel cartoons. Not until 2001 till did I really start buying them.

8. WOLVERINE25TH

WOLVERINE25TH The Best There Is

15 years this Christmas. First comic on th' pile I opened up was Silver Surver vol. 3 #55. Second was an ASM whose number I can NEVER remember. Round Robin Part 6.

9. Sparta*

Sparta* ~Sword of Darkness~

Started collecting Marvel cards in 1992 when I was 7...haven't turned back since :up:

10. Manic

Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

I started reading comics when I was about 7 or 8 years old, when the old animated series was on TV. The first comics I ever bought were in a 10-pack I bought in bulk from Costco. It contained an X-Factor, a What The?!, and a couple of other titles.

I stopped reading comics when I was about 10 years old, right around the Age of Apocalypse. I was a huge X-Men fan, and when the comics suddenly changed beyond recognition, I abandoned comics altogether.

I started reading again when I was 18. I discovered that Borders book stores carry trade paperbacks, and I jumped back in. This was the first time I started reading comics seriously.

11. Citizen_Kaine

Citizen_Kaine Registered

For almost 2/3'rds of my life now, 1987's Amazing Spider Man 300 was my first

12. masteryoda

masteryoda Registered

I was reading comics before I even learned how to read. So about 5 years, now. :(

I keed!I keed!

About 30 years, I guess. The first comics I remember reading or I should say looking at the pictures and making up my own story were a giant sized Star Wars adaptation and this one.
    [​IMG]

13. PhotoJones

PhotoJones Registered

that's a great first comic. :)

14. XwolverineX

XwolverineX Registered

I've gotten comics since I was like 2. 'Cause my dad would buy 'em. I Read 'em up untill, like 12. Quit fer almost four years, now I'm back.

15. Elijya

Elijya Registered

#358. Had a gate fold cover, which I used as a poster after it fell off the book from reading so many times

16. Themanofbat

Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

My first comics that I ever read were old Tomb of Dracula's, Two-Gun Kid, and various Archie's that my Aunt owned at the time. This would have been circa summer of 1972 before my fifth birthday, so I would have been 4 at the time.

The FIRST comic I ever bought in my life was WereWolf by Night #30 (the shullish looking full moon is tattooed on my left shoulder blade) which came out in 1975. I remember buying #32 off the rack as well, which featured Moon Knight.

My first Amazing Spider-Man was #148. I bought a few on and off afterwards, and started "collecting" in 1978 with issue #183.

So I've been reading comics for 34 years...
    I've been buying comics for 31 years...
    And I've been collecting comics for 28 years.

:)

17. Silver Sable

Silver Sable Wild Pack Commander

Been reading since I was 14

18. Darthphere

My first comic was Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1 (or at least the first I remember, im sure I got others before that.)

19. deathshead2

deathshead2 Registered

:eek: I always wanted to read that. Dumb dealers at cons never have them:mad:

20. Darthphere

If I can find it, ill gladly sell it to you.:up:

21. TheFalcon

TheFalcon Registered

I started reading comics when I was about 7. I started reading american ones in 2004.

22. nite-owl

nite-owl Registered

About two or three years, it was after I saw X2 I started to buy Grant Morrisons new x-men and ultimate spiderman in trades then I started to get some other stuff.

23. OtepApe

OtepApe Registered

Used to get UK reprints of Spider-man and X-men back in '94 on and off, only really a casual fan then. Started reading seriously around 2000.

24. yenaled

yenaled 3X2(9YZ)4A

Started reading when I was about 9/10, reading crap like all kids did in the 90s.

Then like most people went off them for a while and I started reading them again around 17. It was a Kyle Rayner book which grabbed my interest actually.

25. Morg

Morg Super Moderator

Lets see 35 years was the first time for me :) can't recall which one it was