Having trouble opening... stuff...

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
So I got some big virus a few weeks ago and my Avast ran for a long time and got rid of it all. The problem now is that I can't seem to open a lot of stuff. Things like Winamp, Emule, Itunes, etc. wont open. I try to open them and I get the window that asks what I want to open them with when before they just opened themselves. I may be dumb when it comes to this stuff but I just can't figure it out.

Also, since that time if I want to adjust my wallpaper or whatever, I right-click on the desktop and go to properties and it won't let me. It says, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found"

Does anyone know how I can get these things to open?

Jewish,

You have a couple of different options, that are playable here. I just need to know your OS, but they are the same, but yet how to do it can be a little different.

Either way, if your on XP, and above, which I'm sure you are you can try this first.

Go start, and search for the CMD.
Open it as a Admin
Type exactly, "sfc /scannow" without the quotes
See if this helps replace your files.

The next step, while more involved ya might have to do a reinstall of the OS, without losing all your files. But let's see what happens here first.

Cool. I'll try that tonight when I get back home. I'm about to head back out for more Mother's Day schenanigans followed by going to see Thor.

Oh, and yes... XP I believe.

Wow, finally got around to trying this. So I searched CMD and got quite a few hits. Which one should it be? Some examples are "cmd.exe" "cmdl32.exe" "cmdial32.exe" "medctrro.cmd" etc.

Also, I've not messed with it yet but how do I open things as an Admin?

Hobbit,

CMD.exe, right click it and "Run as admin."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"