Hawkeye Hawkeye General Discussion Thread

All these DisneyXD shows are pretty meh tbh.

hawkeye was the most straight forward story.

wandavision was a very high concept study of grief.

FATWS explored race in america.

loki introduced a high concept of multiverse and kang.

the previous 3 shows broached out of the norm things for marvel and i think they executed those concepts very well. some shows have had uneven spots but we must also remember that all of these shows were filmed during covid and that effected many of their original plans.

I feel all the series have failed to live up to their potential.

Loki has a cool setup, with a surprising amount of emotional character depth in the first episode, but then it veers off into less interesting territory. Hiddleston is surprisingly flat throughout.

What If had a couple neat episodes but overall the scripts all felt like first drafts with painfully unfunny comedy.

WandaVision had a neat setup, but Wanda herself is just a character I can never buy, in large part because of the casting. She just seems fake. Couldn’t care less about her.

FATWS was really good with the John Walker stuff, and it’s cool to be back in Cap’s world. But the Flagsmashers were absolutely horrendous, like…I can’t rewatch the series because of them.

If say…Succession is a 10/10, or more relevantly, Daredevil Season 1 is a 9/10, these D+ shows are all around a 5/10 - 7/10, max.

I think it's because Marvel has too many projects going on at once, stretching the VFX team too thin while LucasFilm has one Star Wars project going on, so it gives their VFX team enough time to fix any bad CGI after initial production ends.
Can't they expand their VFX team and give them more resources that reflect the fact they’re working on the most successful franchise in history while Disney are betting everything on Disney +. I'm sure they will want very high engagement with the shows as with Netflix, shows are crucial to subscription platforms and it doesn't take more than one monthly sub to watch every MCU film.

Give them what they need so that the shows are must-see events to the majority of the GA like the films are.

I feel all the series have failed to live up to their potential.

Loki has a cool setup, with a surprising amount of emotional character depth in the first episode, but then it veers off into less interesting territory. Hiddleston is surprisingly flat throughout.

What If had a couple neat episodes but overall the scripts all felt like first drafts with painfully unfunny comedy.

WandaVision had a neat setup, but Wanda herself is just a character I can never buy, in large part because of the casting. She just seems fake. Couldn’t care less about her.

FATWS was really good with the John Walker stuff, and it’s cool to be back in Cap’s world. But the Flagsmashers were absolutely horrendous, like…I can’t rewatch the series because of them.

If say…Succession is a 10/10, or more relevantly, Daredevil Season 1 is a 9/10, these D+ shows are all around a 5/10 - 7/10, max.
It feels like they are struggling to go beyond a 7/10 on the scale of other great non-superhero shows. Some of the ambition has been beyond a 7 that but then the execution has eventually become a bit more run of the mill. I enjoy them all but do feel they could have pushed on to the next level.

The problem with Falcon and the Winter Soldier was the Pandemic. In a normal year, the show would have been more fleshed out I think.

All these DisneyXD shows are pretty meh tbh.

Not all of them, I think Book of Boba Fett is going to be great and the Mandalorian has been great so far.

Oh you mean Marvel. They can be hit or miss for a lot of people. I liked them all, some more than others.

Last edited:
I personally love all the D+ Marvel shows as a lot of them add to each of their respective characters and move their story forward.

I give them a pass due to what can be accomplished during a global pandemic that definitely affected a lot of filming and what not.

I personally love all the D+ Marvel shows as a lot of them add to each of their respective characters and move their story forward.

I give them a pass due to what can be accomplished during a global pandemic that definitely affected a lot of filming and what not.

Same. There were restrictions which forced major changes to the shows, especially the first two.

I think one way they can improve the shows is to have significant stories in each episode. When I watch a series like, I don't know, Better Call Saul, the episode feels full, like a lot happens, characters develop, the story moves forward, etc. Some of these D+ shows are pure filler. You can tell they pay way more attention and budget to certain episodes than others. The quality is all over the place.

To be honest, I am a fan of space (actual outer space), sports, nature, travel and history and any of those topics on Disney+ are more anticipated for me than anything MCU on there or Star Wars related, although I am excited for Book of Boba Fett. No I am not talking about fictional stuff involving those topics, actual stuff like documentaries and docuseries. If Disney+ announces any docs on any of those subjects, I am in 100%, unlike with MCU Disney + in which I probably won't watch Echo or Secret Invasion or any MCU animation aside from X-Men 97. It's why I keep Disney+, not just for Marvel and Disney, but for any and all documentaries that air on that channel.

Last edited:
To be honest, I am a fan of space (actual outer space), sports, nature, travel and history and any of those topics on Disney+ are more anticipated for me than anything MCU on there or Star Wars related, although I am excited for Book of Boba Fett. No I am not talking about fictional stuff involving those topics, actual stuff like documentaries and docuseries. If Disney+ announces any docs on any of those subjects, I am in 100%, unlike with MCU Disney + in which I probably won't watch Echo or Secret Invasion or any MCU animation aside from X-Men 97. It's why I keep Disney+, not just for Marvel and Disney, but for any and all documentaries that air on that channel.
Why are you quoting my post just to say that though?
I think one way they can improve the shows is to have significant stories in each episode. When I watch a series like, I don't know, Better Call Saul, the episode feels full, like a lot happens, characters develop, the story moves forward, etc. Some of these D+ shows are pure filler. You can tell they pay way more attention and budget to certain episodes than others. The quality is all over the place.
Which is weird given how 3 of these Marvel shows only had siX episodes. While WandaVision was mostly more or less 30 episodes eXcept for the last two episodes, that too had plenty of filler moments. Usually, a series or season with 22 episodes would be more proned to filler moments but I didn't eXpect this to Marvel Studios shows with only 6 to 9 episodes.

i really doubt Disney and Marvel Studios could maintain the "movie look". Hawkeye looked budget, a straight to DVD looking movie at best. Its only the 4th show, and Marvel Studios is working with at least eight upcoming shows... The Falcon/Winter Soldier and Loki had scenes that looked like a movie but they weren't very consistent. Some scenes looked cheaper.

Last edited:

Also for some reason, the Mandalorian has better stories and character development. And this is the same streaming service from the same company too.

I don't see how Kevin Feige can quality control massive films like No Way Home, MoM, Love and Thunder, Wakanda Forever and GOTG in addition to multiple 5 hour plus TV shows. There is no way a Producer can do that and keep the same level as Iron Man or Black Panther for everything.

Keeping a strict quality control on 3 big budget films while planning the Fantastic Four and X-Men universe is an already insane order for years with over time work.

There's gonna be misses and these shows won't be taking priority. So far they just have not had the same level of quality. I always thought 6 eps was gonna be short but most of these stories could have been wrapped up in like 4. I don't think they even know a format that works yet.

Last edited:
They definitely handicapped themselves in Hawkeye by not revealing Kingpin until the end. It felt like a waste to me. The Tracksuit Mafia are not competent or compelling villains. They're MCU's Keystone Cops.

What they should've done is brought in the Wrecking Crew. Not to mention, The Wrecking Crew working for Kingpin would've made sense.

Falcon and Winter Soldier started strong IMO but the ending was kind of weak. Basically, Batroc was the final boss. And...he's freaking Batroc.

I don't see how Kevin Feige can quality control massive films like No Way Home, MoM, Love and Thunder, Wakanda Forever and GOTG in addition to multiple 5 hour plus TV shows. There is no way a Producer can do that and keep the same level as Iron Man or Black Panther for everything.

Keeping a strict quality control on 3 big budget films while planning the Fantastic Four and X-Men universe is an already insane order for years with over time work.

There's gonna be misses and these shows won't be taking priority. So far they just have not had the same level of quality. I always thought 6 eps was gonna be short but most of these stories could have been wrapped up in like 4. I don't think they even know a format that works yet.
A lot of these shows wouldn't have been made anyway IF Disney didn't launch their streaming service. As we get more of these shows, the shows would really look like side projects/eXtra content rather main dishes.

I just hope they focus on quality than quantity with these Disney+ shows. Its hard to keep up with every show and they aren't done in the same standard as a Marvel Studios feature film. Like I just can see Echo wouldn't be as polished as Hawkeye and Hawkeye has Jeremy Renner/Hailee and it still looked budget. I would be surprised if Agatha Harkness look high budget. I'm curious if Secret Invasion isn't done cheaply, especially not a lot of the Avengers aren't in the series.

I wish these were just straight to streaming movies. None of the shows Ive seen eXcept for What If? Wouldn't be impossible to be trimmed to a 2 hour film.

A lot of these shows wouldn't have been made anyway IF Disney didn't launch their streaming service. As we get more of these shows, the shows would really look like side projects/eXtra content rather main dishes.

I just hope they focus on quality than quantity with these Disney+ shows. Its hard to keep up with every show and they aren't done in the same standard as a Marvel Studios feature film. Like I just can see Echo wouldn't be as polished as Hawkeye and Hawkeye has Jeremy Renner/Hailee and it still looked budget. I would be surprised if Agatha Harkness look high budget. I'm curious if Secret Invasion isn't done cheaply, especially not a lot of the Avengers aren't in the series.

I wish these were just straight to streaming movies. None of the shows Ive seen eXcept for What If? Wouldn't be impossible to be trimmed to a 2 hour film.
Shows are much more important to streaming services than films. If they were all 2 hour films it would be very hard to maintain subscriptions. Rather than 6-8 drops per show allowing them to cover most of the year between them, there would be only one each and people often cancel subs when there isn’t continuous new content. It’s different when you have built up a huge library of shows that takes years to get through but obviously they aren’t at that stage yet and many people already own a proportion of the mainline films.

Shows are much more important to streaming services than films. If they were all 2 hour films it would be very hard to maintain subscriptions. Rather than 6-8 drops per show allowing them to cover most of the year between them, there would be only one each and people often cancel subs when there isn’t continuous new content. It’s different when you have built up a huge library of shows that takes years to get through but obviously they aren’t at that stage yet and many people already own a proportion of the mainline films.
Yeah I understood that a series is a better investment than straight to streaming movies that could be finished in 1 sitting or at least 4 days (1 movie each day).

I just haven't seen anything from Marvel Studios aside from what If? that took advantage of the series/episodic format. Imo, WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki and Hawkeye would have been more enjoyable as a 2 hour movie. Those shows are short, had a filler moments that it wouldn't impossible for them to tell the story in less than 150 minutes.

I want to be eXcited for She Hulk, Moon Knight and Secret Invasion.but based from the previous shows, I am not sure if they aren't just going to stall the entire thing for siX to ten episodes.

Yeah I understood that a series is a better investment than straight to streaming movies that could be finished in 1 sitting or at least 4 days (1 movie each day).

I just haven't seen anything from Marvel Studios aside from what If? that took advantage of the series/episodic format. Imo, WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki and Hawkeye would have been more enjoyable as a 2 hour movie. Those shows are short, had a filler moments that it wouldn't impossible for them to tell the story in less than 150 minutes.

I want to be eXcited for She Hulk, Moon Knight and Secret Invasion.but based from the previous shows, I am not sure if they aren't just going to stall the entire thing for siX to ten episodes.
Yeah, it’s not a comment on which is more enjoyable for consumers, just a business decision based on consumer subscription habits. Falcon and Winter Soldier could easily have been a film otherwise.

I'm all in for series about these characters, but they should really take advantage of the episodic format. They haven't cracked it yet.

So this was the last Marvel product until May where we get Dr.Strange 2?

I saw Moon Knight & She-Hulk for 2022 so I wouldn't be surprised if one starts in Feb or March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"