Hawley's Doctor Doom Film

LOOOOOOOL

Based on what, dude? That it's not your typical run of the mill Marvel Studios film? The bias is getting more and more ridiculous.

Based on the feeling that a movie about Dr. Doom would ideally be about Dr. Doom and not some random reporter learning about Dr. Doom.

Not saying it couldn't work, but I don’t think “bias” has anything to do with it. It just doesn’t sound like a great pitch if that’s true.

Last edited:
Noah Hawley did Fargo on FX. Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Doom not being the main POV character, I'm gonna give him a chance. I mean there's a lot you can do with that angle. Looking at stuff like Man Bites Dog where the subject of an in-universe documentary, article, etc. is isn't the main POV character, you can still make it very interesting and well done. Or even something like Training Day or Last King of Scotland where, despite what the Oscars said, the main character isn't Alonzo or Idi Amin but they're still the most compelling part of the movie

So I wouldn't scoff at that idea just yet. Especially with Noah Hawley

That being said, this won't get made and I'd put money on that

From what I've read about Hawley's script, the main character is a female reporter who goes to Latveria to do a profile piece on Doom. She goes with the dictator on his various exploits, becoming closer to him while not being sure whether he is the hero of the piece or the villain.

It sounds fairly cliche to me. It might make a good basis for a Disney+ show, but as movie I'd give the concept a hard pass.
I mean it doesn't sound any more cliche than 95% of the MCU, DCEU, or any other blockbuster we get on any given weekend. At least something like this, from what you describe, is not something we get for a superhero/supervillain movie

Last edited:
Based on the feeling that a movie about Dr. Doom would ideally be about Dr. Doom and not some random reporter learning about Dr. Doom.

Not saying it couldn't work, but I don’t think “bias” has anything to do with it. It just doesn’t sound like a great pitch if that’s true.

Actually sounds like a great pitch, but let's not have a new, human, non-comic booky character spoil all the fun. How dare you have a reporter be one of the main characters? Let's have Doctor Doom look for Infinity Stones, or... whatever.

Truth is... most online fans these days reject whatever doesn't sound Marvel Studio-y. And a solid pitch, which actually IS atypical ane not at all cliche for a superhero/comic book movie, gets thrown under the bus for that.

And the fact that it would be told from the reporter's POV doesn't mean that Doctor Doom is NOT the star of the movie.

Last edited:
It sounds like some of the more Doomcentric comics Marvel has put out in the last few years.

Or it sounds like Ed Brubakers "Books of Doom" 6 issue modern retelling of Doom's origin...outside of the dome over Latveria bit, this is pretty much that story and if so, i couldn't be more thrilled...

Unfortunately I don't think Marvel Studios will make this movie. Unless Feige wakes up one day and suddenly changes his approach.

I would love it. Make it a super intense period piece ala magneto in xmen first class or mad max and just go wild with it. Watch the money pour in.

Plus, always good to remind people just about any place on earth can turn totalitarian

It doesn't even need to be a period piece. Just a crazy war supervillain movie sounds great to me.

Actually sounds like a great pitch,

Ain’t it funny how opinions work?

but let's not have a new, human, non-comic booky character spoil all the fun. How dare you have a reporter be one of the main characters? Let's have Doctor Doom look for Infinity Stones, or... whatever.

Truth is... most online fans these days reject whatever doesn't sound Marvel Studio-y. And a solid pitch, which actually IS atypical ane not at all cliche for a superhero/comic book movie, gets thrown under the bus for that.

Except most who have chimed in to this specific discussion are on board with it so I have no idea what you’re basing this on. Seems like you just want to complain about Marvel for whatever reason.

Again, I'm not saying that approach couldn't work. But we've yet to see a live-action Dr. Doom who isn't a complete joke and having him share screen time with some random reporter, on it's face, doesn't sound like the ideal entry-way into this character for me.

But yeah we're not seeing this movie. It's cool they had a meeting but this ain't getting made.

Last edited:
Unfortunately.
And yeah, opinions are a funny thing. Especially in this day and age.

I'm on board with a Doom film before FF. Doom can easily be integrated within the MCU and one that doesn't need to be a period piece.

LOOOOOOOL

Based on what, dude? That it's not your typical run of the mill Marvel Studios film? The bias is getting more and more ridiculous.

Based on the fact that Hawley centered the story on a nobody reporter rather than the monarch of Latveria. Doom should be the focus. He, like Thanos, is the hero of his own story. Using the narrative device of a perspective character undercuts that.

Based on the fact that Hawley centered the story on a nobody reporter rather than the monarch of Latveria. Doom should be the focus. He, like Thanos, is the hero of his own story. Using the narrative device of a perspective character undercuts that.

The story will be based on doom the audience just sees it from the perspective of the reporter.

Read the doom books. You can find them online. You might understand.

It doesn't even need to be a period piece. Just a crazy war supervillain movie sounds great to me.

Yeah I agree. I can see the ff being a period piece but doom? No. I guess dictators never go out of fashion.
Who would be a great director for a doom flick?

Not interested in a supervillain movie in the MCU. Let Sony do them, also phase 4 is already jampacked, and it will be more jampacked when the X-Men and the Fantastic Four get their own film.

Again you can make a movie where you focus on Character A through the perspective of Character B and still have Character A be a/the star.
Last King of Scotland
Man Bites Dog
Training Day.
And I'm sure there are more I'm just not thinking of.
I mean a non movie example is Brian Azzarello's Joker. Told from the perspective of one guy, but still very much about the Joker

Having the reporter be there doesn't necessarily mean, he wouldn't focus on Doom. Or at least there's no evidence yet from what I've read
And even if you're telling a Doom story, he's gonna need a supporting cast. I don't see why if it's the reporter it's a big deal.

EDIT: And again this is a Noah Hawley. Everyone doubted that you can make a good Fargo based TV show and then he did it with great results 3 times (although the 3rd season wasn't all that to me). TV of course is different from movies, but still. I'm not saying he'll always be great and I'm not saying that a good creative mind can't make some trash movies, but at this moment I think he's earned some slack. Especially since all we know is that there is a reporter in it. No other concrete details about how she's used and evovles the plot

Last edited:
From what I've read about Hawley's script, the main character is a female reporter who goes to Latveria to do a profile piece on Doom. She goes with the dictator on his various exploits, becoming closer to him while not being sure whether he is the hero of the piece or the villain.

It sounds fairly cliche to me. It might make a good basis for a Disney+ show, but as movie I'd give the concept a hard pass.

Honestly, having Doom be seen through the eyes of a journalist or something is not invalid. The story will still be about Doom. Blackman submitted some great examples, but also look at The Great Gatsby. Gatsby is not our main character, but his life and who he was is the entire point of the story. Yes, the story is from Nick's perspective, but it is very much about Gatsby. We can examine Doom being the hero of his own story and everything essential to Doom in this type of story format. I see no problem with it. In fact, I think it could be a fairly original way to approach it. We've seen the standard origin movie with the MCU several times now. How is this story format any less cliche than making Doctor Strange with an emphasis on science instead of magic and our protagonist is a bit murkier? Telling a villain's story in this way would be something new for this genre.

Hawley's take intrigues me here.

Last edited:
It sounds a lot like the Frost/Nixon of Dr. Doom movies, which... honestly doesn't sound that bad. Considering Hawley managed to do a 616 David Haller in Legion, the costume probably would have looked great too.

look at The Great Gatsby. Gatsby is not our main character, but his life and who he was is the entire point of the story. Yes, the story is from Nick's perspective, but it is very much about Gatsby.

Great example
It sounds a lot like the Frost/Nixon of Dr. Doom movies, which... honestly doesn't sound that bad. Considering Hawley managed to do a 616 David Haller in Legion, the costume probably would have looked great too.
Another great example

I'm not saying that take will work and I still don't think this will ever happen, but the reporter thing doesn't worry me and I don't get why it would worry many with the few details we have to go off of

Hell you can even say star wars was r2 d2 and c3po.

Honestly, having Doom be seen through the eyes of a journalist or something is not invalid. The story will still be about Doom. Blackman submitted some great examples, but also look at The Great Gatsby. Gatsby is not our main character, but his life and who he was is the entire point of the story. Yes, the story is from Nick's perspective, but it is very much about Gatsby. We can examine Doom being the hero of his own story and everything essential to Doom in this type of story format. I see no problem with it. In fact, I think it could be a fairly original way to approach it. We've seen the standard origin movie with the MCU several times now. How is this story format any less cliche than making Doctor Strange with an emphasis on science instead of magic and our protagonist is a bit murkier? Telling a villain's story in this way would be something new for this genre.

I also am intrigued by his take. Even the Russo Brothers admitted they would love to see his take on Doom.

Whether we see it is another story.

'Avengers: Endgame' director wants a specific take on Doctor Doom in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but the Disney-Fox deal could complicate it

While I'm not sure about a Doctor Doom solo movie in general, Hawley as a director/writer has a unique look that goes beyond generic and conventional superhero takes and I'd much more interested into seeing a filmmaker's vision, even with a risk of eventually turning out to be a bad one, than yet another studio product. Which is exactly why it will most likely never going to happen.

Personally think doom retelling his story to a reporter is a great way to go. It allows them to show but also tell his story. The reporter can question him on his motive and emotions at different point of his life. He can even justify his decisions even if the audience doesn't feel they are justifiable.

Oh my gosh I loved frost/nixon. I think that would be a perfect inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"