Hawley's Doctor Doom Film

I thought Marvel just got the right back can Fox even still do that?

Marvel could do it but fox will still be making films aswell. Alan horn has said that deadpool will be staying with fox (not in the mcu).

Guessing they will be very busy the next few months sorting everything out.

When I saw the Joker trailer, I had the same fear I've always had with a Doom film - portrayal of the character as sympathetic.

With the Joker, I think it's not as problematic. People know the Joker, so seeing a softer side of him will be interesting as opposed to molding their view of him.

Doom is less well known by the general public and has been screwed-up by Fox, so I'm hoping to see him used properly, as an all-powerful villain, before we go back and see his softer side.

Actually, I sort of see making the Joker a sympathetic figure as problematic for me. I don't want to cheer for the Joker.

Marvel could do it but fox will still be making films aswell. Alan horn has said that deadpool will be staying with fox (not in the mcu).

Guessing they will be very busy the next few months sorting everything out.

Wasn't that a case of just Marvel didn't want Deadpool in the MCU but wanted to keep the character? I know he was the only character to survive the changeover.

Doom would seem a favorite to be a big bad for potentially the Avengers or at the very least a Fantastic Four villain so Im just surprised to here that would get the go ahead.

Especially after seeing what Fox did to Doom twice in a row. At least the first time the costume looked cool, that latest one he looked like a irradiated crash test dummy.

Actually, I sort of see making the Joker a sympathetic figure as problematic for me. I don't want to cheer for the Joker.

I agree. But I think it's less problematic for the Joker than it would be for Doom.

And I hope if they make a Doom film, they never show him as weak. I hope even as a kid he will be hard and confident and unflinching, but he will be at the mercy of the aristocracy.

And I can imagine a Doom film in which he's not a 'hero', but if they make the aristocracy bad enough, we will want to see one villain take down other villains.

...like in the Sopranos when we we mentally wanted Melfi to unleash Tony on her rapist.

I think Doom should appear in other films first, being portrayed as this mysterious but incredibly powerful foe, and just before the final confrontation takes place a film about him is released.

Wasn't that a case of just Marvel didn't want Deadpool in the MCU but wanted to keep the character? I know he was the only character to survive the changeover.

Doom would seem a favorite to be a big bad for potentially the Avengers or at the very least a Fantastic Four villain so Im just surprised to here that would get the go ahead.

Especially after seeing what Fox did to Doom twice in a row. At least the first time the costume looked cool, that latest one he looked like a irradiated crash test dummy.

Deadpool is staying with fox. If doom is made it will 100% be in the mcu.

You said you were sceptical because of where the seeds sprouted. Maybe i misunderstood you but it sounded as though because it was written by fox.
You didn’t misunderstand anything. I AM skeptical because it originated with Fox. Their record has been, to say the least, uneven when it comes to making CBMs. That, however, doesn’t mean I don’t think it can work. I think being somewhat skeptical is reasonable given their past world of FF efforts.

I think Doom should appear in other films first, being portrayed as this mysterious but incredibly powerful foe, and just before the final confrontation takes place a film about him is released.

It could be great, personally i'd love to see his own film first. Then when he appears in other films, the audience will know who he is and what he is capable of, but the heroes wont. Some of us might even be rooting for doom to win. It will change the dynamic of the films.

The best bit of rogue 1 was when darth came in and ripped them apart. They should have had the heroes escape the planet and them be the ones vader rips apart. Disney wimped out though.

You didn’t misunderstand anything. I AM skeptical because it originated with Fox. Their record has been, to say the least, uneven when it comes to making CBMs. That, however, doesn’t mean I don’t think it can work. I think being somewhat skeptical is reasonable given their past world of FF efforts.

Fair enough. I just don't think feige would dismiss it because it came from fox. I think hawley is respected hence the russo's comments.

Legion is purposefully confusing. You are looking at the world from davids perspective who is a mental patient. What is real what isn't, the whole show is trying to keep the viewer off balance.

Doom i'm guessing would be from his perspective. It will be a lot more straightforward but you will understand how he became a ruthless dictator believing that he alone can save the world, excusing all the evil things he does for the greater good.

Hawley is a very good story teller and i think he would be able to pull it off magnificently.
Legion from the comics isnt really confusing and I have read his X-Men Legacy run. Legixn the show is confusing, no wonder the ratings are so low. The third season is supposed to air this month but where is it?

imo, instead of putting time and effort for a Doom film, just use that time and energy for the Fantastic Four films. While Doom can still be used in plenty of mcu films.

Legion from the comics isnt really confusing and I have read his X-Men Legacy run. Legixn the show is confusing, no wonder the ratings are so low. The third season is supposed to air this month but where is it?

imo, instead of putting time and effort for a Doom film, just use that time and energy for the Fantastic Four films. While Doom can still be used in plenty of mcu films.
Legion the show is extremely hard for me to follow

If you read the whole convrsation you'd see that i am saying there is a chance of hawleys film being made and in the mcu.

I gave up relatively early. After about the first 10 minutes.

Pity. First season is fantastic. It is supposed to keep you off balanced as david is in a mental institue. You don't know what is real, what is not, not even what decade it is set in. Also has the one of the best superhero villain adaptations on screen. Aubery plaza is up there with dd fisk and ledgers joker (almost).

Fair enough. I just don't think feige would dismiss it because it came from fox. I think hawley is respected hence the russo's comments.
I don't think he would either. See that? We agree! :cwink:

Pity. First season is fantastic. It is supposed to keep you off balanced as david is in a mental institue. You don't know what is real, what is not, not even what decade it is set in. Also has the one of the best superhero villain adaptations on screen. Aubery plaza is up there with dd fisk and ledgers joker (almost).
Agree again....uh oh. We've got to stop meeting like this. :D

Yeah, if anything, being sympathetic of Doom is much more appropriate. Doom has been varying degrees of sympathetic for decades now. It may be a little problematic, but no more problematic than countless other "lets cheer the charismatic ruthless villain protagonist" stories. Whereas the Joker. . . is usually either a spree killer or a nihilistic terrorist. Cheering him on is a lot more like cheering on a school shooter.

This is part of why I *really* didn't like Venom. It wasn't just turning a brain-eating psychopath into an "anti-hero", but it was doing so while framing it as a "Wouldn't it be nice to just kill anyone you didn't like?" indulgent fantasy. Comedic sociopathy can work, even when murderous. . . but its really easy to slip into apologia and wish fulfillment at the same time.

I gave up relatively early. After about the first 10 minutes.

I watched one episode, saw that it was written by someone on a crack & meth bender and gave up.

Its not a show for everybody and when it comes to Marvel adaptations, it shouldn't be hard to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"