HBO's 5-part Miniseries "Chernobyl"

I agree countless people gave up their lives to clean up this mess. However I think the situationwas poorly handled by the people in charge. That's if you go off the reports by Legasov.
Reports of Legasov contradict what's shown in the show. As well as the story how he hid the tapes from evil KGB - nonsense as well.

Like it frequently happens in case of disasters, behaviors are figured out only after they happen. Nobody builds nuclear plants for them to explode and kill people.
What the show does really well is using a real tragedy to portray the Soviet system as inherently bad/corrupt/cruel/merciless/antihuman/whatever by mixing truth and lie. So believers can continue believing in that false hypothesis. And possibly to turn new believers too.
This is absurd. We can come to that assumption regarding almost any large disaster around the world. It's like saying only Germans can be Nazi.
The RBMK reactors had a known design flaw, which is exactly what caused the explosion in the first place. Instead of the off switch immediately shutting down the reactor, it instead supercharged it for a few seconds. I'm not disregarding the fact that human error was involved, but if the Soviets had fixed it then the Chernobyl disaster would never have happened.

It's true that there was indeed heroism and sacrifice on a massive scale, but that was mostly the foot soldiers and people on the ground, not anyone higher up the foot chain who had any real power. My point was about the larger philosophical differences between Russia and the West. To sacrifice thousands of lives to clean up radioactive material would be unthinkable; if Chernobyl had happened in the US I'm not sure it ever would've been properly dealt with. On the other hand something as defective as the RBMK reactor would've never been put into use; there are too many safety regulations for that to happen.

Reports of Legasov contradict what's shown in the show. As well as the story how he hid the tapes from evil KGB - nonsense as well.
It's unknown how Legasov's tapes were released, so a little dramatic licence was used in how he may have gotten them out there. This is still a work of dramatic fiction, after all, not a documentary. A lot of your nitpicks with the show seem to stem from not differentiating between the two.

But the KGB was evil.

Well, that epilogue was...incredibly depressing. And the Soviets maintaining that the 'official' death count is a mere 31? Insane.

Fantastic series and hopefully leads to conversations. Not sure what I'd rank as my favorite series of 2019, but right now, it'd be between this and Fosse/Verdon.

Great series. I just know if I can watch it again because it is just so sad and depressing.

Well, that epilogue was...incredibly depressing. And the Soviets maintaining that the 'official' death count is a mere 31? Insane.

Fantastic series and hopefully leads to conversations. Not sure what I'd rank as my favorite series of 2019, but right now, it'd be between this and Fosse/Verdon.
I agree that this might be the best of the year. Certainly more riveting than Game of Thrones.

Has the Russian government given any kind of response to this show? I wonder if they consider this slanderous propaganda from the American "deepstate"?

Has the Russian government given any kind of response to this show? I wonder if they consider this slanderous propaganda from the American "deepstate"?
No from what I gather the Russian government doesn't really care. They just for the most part acknowledge that this event has happened and that's it. So much has happened since then it's really just a footnote to them.

tumblr_pskt0wClnx1us57u5o1_540.gif

tumblr_pskt0wClnx1us57u5o2_540.gif

tumblr_pskt0wClnx1us57u5o3_540.gif

This show was forking phenomenal. I went into it expecting it to not live up to the hype, but man was I wrong. I really loved the atmosphere and the dreary, washed out look of almost every scene. Jarred Harris, Stellan Skarsgård and Emily Watson give some truly fantastic performances as well and hopefully they get some much deserved awards attention. Some of the imagery and certain sequences in this show were downright horrific and haunting as hell too. I can already think of three or four scenes in particular that will definitely be sticking with me for a while.

This show is riveting, imo.

To the 100000th degree. The series was so well-executed, I nearly felt I was there - especially during that haunting first episode. I can't sing the praises of this show enough. All that collateral damage of scary choices that needed to be made was eye opening. Casting from top to bottom was stellar.

This show is a benchmark and has spoiled me.

I have to be honest, I didn't really know anything about Chernobyl before the show came out. Pretty shocking at how the events turned out and the aftermath. Made me feel angry that the government tried to cover up the truth! :argh:

This show is incredible! The acting, writing, cinematography, direction, score, makeup were all really well done! Was really hard for me to watch at many points, especially episode 4 when the animals were being shot at! :csad:

I definitely won't be surprised if this gets some Emmy nominations or Golden Globes. Didn't think Craig Mazin could handle a drama so well after doing so many bad comedies.

Last edited:
Instagram influencers criticised for 'insensitive' Chernobyl pics

The level of some people's stupidity never fails to amaze me.

I been watching the BBC's Salisbury Poisonings, which is about the Russian novichok nerve agent assassination attempt in 2018.

Certain elements remind me of Chernobyl.

The show is getting big ratings for the Beeb.

I been watching the BBC's Salisbury Poisonings, which is about the Russian novichok nerve agent assassination attempt in 2018.

Certain elements remind me of Chernobyl.

The show is getting big ratings for the Beeb.

I see AMC secured the U.S rights for this and will air it in the fall. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"