HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching every week, cause i don't have Showtime(Dexter), but I think the show is ok. I liked the pilot a LOT, and then after that, every episode has been way to slow. I did like last nights episode, though. I think it's the best one so far.:cwink:

I enjoy the slow build up of the plots. There are subtle developments in every episode and you can see how its building up to something big, and because you know that something big is coming, scenes become more and more tense. Like the coat room scene. The build up to that was amazing. I really thought that Capone was going to kill Jimmy in his room as well. BEcause of the slow boil, you can just feel the tension rise with each scene and when it finally comes to a head....it'll be amazing. Its like season one of The Sopranos. A slow build, that leads to an amazing final four or five episodes.

Last Nights episode was easily the best of the season.

Agreed. Van Pelt is f'n nuts and last night made it even more clear. And the hotel murder, yikes. I love the development of Capone, Nucky, and Mrs. Schroeder as well.

Loved Jimmy blowing that guys head off :up:
HBO makes me cheer for violence:yay:

Are people still watching? This is easily HBO's best show since The Sopranos.

Show is ridiculously good. Much moreso than I thought it would be.

Jimmy is really evolving into a master gangster. Was he a real life person in the prohibition era?

Everyone could probably see the Al/Jimmy thing coming. I hope its done and over with, because I really like the two of them as friends who have each others back. I would hate to see them become rivals or enemies.

So that thing with Van Pelt at the end, with Margaret's picture. Was he whipping himself for having impure thoughts about her? Or was it something else.

Also, was all that paperwork stuff showing that she isn't who she says she is? I got distracted toward the end and missed a little of it. The gist I got was that she's an imposter??

Jimmy's mom is unbelievably hot. Much moreso than his wife haha.

I think he was getting off on the whipping. The paperwork showed that she miscarried on the boat from Ellis.

As for Jimmy, as far as I'm aware, he is entirely fictional.

So whats the significance of the miscarriage? I saw the age: 16 thing too. How old is she supposed to be on the show?

Yeah i think the card said she came over in 1909 so that would make her 27 but i'll have to re-watch.

Also that hotel shoot out by jimmy and capone was so bad ass. I was worried they wouldn't actually be getting revenge for what happened earlier.

Just started to watch the show. Great stuff.

Nelson's obsession for Mrs. Schroeder is insane :eek:

This show is getting better and better. The last three episodes have been tremendously entertaining. The writing is top notch and seeing images like Nucky burning down his family's home, Jimmy getting his revenge on the Irish gangsters, meeting the WWI vet without a face, Nucky backhanding Harding's rise to the White House....this hsow has been great.

It looks like it is all out war in Atlantic City now and Rothstein's new crew there is going to be discovered in the water very, very soon. I'm most intrigued how Mrs. Schroeder will react to learning Nucky killed her husband. It's not like she'll go running to Nelson. I bet there will be a big angry confrontation...but she will stay on to become a kind of Lady MacBeth next season. And that is going to be really interesting.

I love this show.. its a amazing show with a great story and the acting is amazing. I'm sad to see there only be 3 shows left :(
But I'm curious how they are going to play it out

This is already up there with the Wire, Sopranos, and Mad Men. And the first season isn't over yet. I actually can't believe it took someone this long to make a show about the prohibition era and the gangsters in it. Its a freaking goldmine.

Love this show. However I find Nucky to be pretty much the least interesting aspect of the entire show. He has moments to shine, but there's also been a few times where I just want to get back to Jimmy or Al or Nelson or Nucky's brother or now, The Phantom.

Best thing about this show so far? It zigs when I think it will zag, and confounds expectations to making something even greater. It's constantly surprising and compelling.

Whats funny is that some people say they aren't watching the show because they don't like Steve Buscemi as the main character, when his life constitutes maybe 1/3 of the episodes. Its not like the show is Mad Men and he's Don Draper. Its much more spread out.

I think he's pretty good in the role, myself.

Amazing show. I'm up to episode 7 and I'm still amazed byt the great debut of the 'two-face' sniper.

Can't wait to see if the show will get some Golden Globe love. I can easly see noms for: Best Drama Series, Best Supporting Actor in TV series or movie for TV Michael Shannon, and Best Supporting Actress in TV series or movie for TV Kelly McDonald.

PS: I'm not fan of Buscemi, but he is great as Nuchy Thompson.

I wish I have HBO to see this show, and now I have to wait for Netflix to (hopefully) stream the episodes like they did for Spartacus in the future.

Best Supporting Actor in TV series or movie for TV Michael Shannon,

It'll be a crime if he isn't

I've always liked him, but he's been a revelation in this show. His last scene in the latest episode is especially electric. In a season full of gobsmacking moments, it may well have been the most gobsmacking of all :up:

Season finale is going to be something else.

Great Show!!!!

But Nucky, Rothstein, Luciano, Torrio, and Capone are all partners in real life.

They are part of the Seven Group - The most powerful bootlegers on the east coast

- Luciano/Costello in manhattan

- Lasnky/Siegel Enforcement

- Adonis - Brooklyn

- Waxey Gordon/Nig Rosen in Philadelphia

- Zwillman - Northern NJ

- Torrio (Retired from Chicago, replaced by Capone) as Adviser

- Nucky (Johnson his real name) in Atlantic City

I know this took place before the Seven Group....but the way they are portraying them...it looks likes they would not even partner up at all in the future.

The Seven Group will be the early formation of the National Crime Syndicate in the 1930s. Luciano, Capone, Lansky and other mob legends will also have the famous Atlantic City Conference in 1928 Hosted by Nucky himself.

By the 1930s,

Lucky Luciano will become the Chairman and Founder of the American Mafia

Meyer Lansky will become the Great Mafia Brain

Whats funny is that some people say they aren't watching the show because they don't like Steve Buscemi as the main character, when his life constitutes maybe 1/3 of the episodes. Its not like the show is Mad Men and he's Don Draper. Its much more spread out.

I think he's pretty good in the role, myself.

It's not just Bucsemi, it's the writing and directing of his scenes. It always feels like he is just reading his lines. The scenes where he's supposed to be a angry come off as forced and unnatural. All of that can be traced back to the writer and director. Even though I find most of the characters incredibly uninteresting, I still tune in every week for some reason. It's probably because of Van Alden and his incredibly bat**** antics. I love it.

Great season finale. I'm pissed that Eli will turn on he's borther, but I saw it comming.

The quick edited assaciantion scene was just gold...no: platinum!

Great finale! Nucky will have his hands full next season. I can't wait for next season.

I hate that Jimmy and Eli are turning on Nucky. I liked being on all 3 of their sides, now i'll have to root against either Jim or Nuck. Sucks.

Also, can't wait for Nelson to baptize the pregnant woman.

I hate that Jimmy and Eli are turning on Nucky. I liked being on all 3 of their sides, now i'll have to root against either Jim or Nuck. Sucks.

Also, can't wait for Nelson to baptize the pregnant woman.

Part of me thinks that either Eli or Jimmy are still working for Nucky. The maid showed Nucky something in that bible that she gave him. I'm wondering if he is wise to the Commodore's desire for revenge and that is what she showed him and knowing this, he told Jimmy or Eli to get to the bottom of it. I'm thinking Jimmy is more likely as Eli was observing his argument with Nucky. Part of me thinks it was all for Eli's benefit and that Nucky and Jimmy are setting them up.

Season 1 with 3 Golden Globe nominations:

Tv Series - Drama
Actor: Buscemi
Sup. Actress: McDonald

Well deserved. Though, I think Van Alden, Jimmy, and Capone all deserved best supporting actor noms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"