He-man Sequel Series (Netflix)

Kevin Smith Reveals Mark Hamill and Lena Headey Have Completed Their Masters of the Universe Voice Over Work

Even though principal photography has shutdown for most Hollywood productions around the world, the world of animation has continued chugging along. Take Kevin Smith and Netflix's Masters of the Universe: Revelation, for example. Smith hasn't let up work on the continuation of the classic cartoon; in fact, he and his team have helped the show's various voice actors record their lines remotely, most of which have finished their required dialogue for the animated series.

"I did recording today remotely for Masters of the Universe — all the recording sessions now you have one person here, one person here, and one person there," Smith said on the latest episode of his Fatman Beyond podcast with Marc Bernardin. "The other day, we finished Lena Headey's stuff, which was awesome. She's over in the UK, so it was early in the morning for us, like 8 a.m. but whatever time it is over there. I could just listen to her all f-cking day long, man. She just brings it and chews that f-cking dialogue and makes it so good. Think of anyone in your life, have them say 'wretched,' and she beats them.

The Game of Thrones alum isn't the only one to finish. According to Smith, many other stars — which include series lead Chris Wood (Supergirl) — have also finished recording their lines for the series remotely.

"Stephen Root finished up all of his Cringer stuff, absolutely wonderful," the writer added. "We finished Chris Wood and all the He-Man/Prince Adam stuff. We finished up Sarah Michelle Gellar for all the Teela stuff and today was like all Mark. All of the Skeletor stuff is now recorded. I've heard now all of the scripts brought to life. I've heard the last line of the show, so it's been fantastic."

From Kevin Smith’s Panel last week:

Masters of the Universe Revelation: Kevin Smith Opens Up at SDCC

"Okay, for you MOTU fans, those of you who are like, 'where is the Masters of the Universe series?' So those that don't even know I've been working on a show for Mattel and Netflix called Masters of the Universe: Revelations and it's a follow up to the old show we saw the 80s- the show everybody knows. This is the cartoon everybody grew up with and stuff so it's not us reinventing it. It's not going like, 'everything you knew about a man is wrong.' It's literally as if we're just telling the next story in that series of stories, man, and our story is very big and connected and stuff, broken in chapters. But I'm telling you this thing- when I took the job, I was like 'man, I hope we do it justice.'

Smith has seen some of the "phenomenal" and "stunning" animatics from Powerhouse Animation, so impressive in fact that Smith says is would release what he's seen as is. That said, Smith also revealed that he's seen the more detailed graphic and painted work and that he's "seen where we are headed and it is beautiful." But his love wasn't just reserved for Powerhouse, taking a moment to give props to Rob David from Mattel, who he says has been "absolutely lovely to deal with." A large part of that has to do with David wearing two hats: as a Mattel representative as well as a writer with experience in the MOTU franchise (making him "creatively useful" and someone who "adds to the whole thing").

Next up, some appreciation for the streaming service that ordered the project to series. "Over at Netflix, Ted Biaselli, God blessed him as the greatest Ted in the world as far as I'm concerned, I didn't really think it through but I can't think of many better Ted's than him." Smith appreciated that Ted Biaselli not only has an appreciation for MOTU, but also for pop culture geekdom overall ("he loves toys so all of his Instagram are all of his action figures collection"

But it was a conversation Smith had with Biaselli about how much He-Man meant to Biaselli that made the difference: "When I met him, he said, 'Look, I loved Batman as a kid. I love Star Wars. But MOTU- Masters of the Universe- that was my religion. Like, that was my number one." For Biaselli, it was his fear that He-Man would be killed by Skeletor that gave the series a sense of there being "stakes" or consequences to what he was watching. What he wants Smith to do is give kids that same feeling when they watch Masters of the Universe: Revelation: "He said, 'All I'm asking you to do is tell a story that makes me feel like I felt when I was a kid again, make me feel invested in these characters. I want to feel scared for him, I want to feel there are stakes."

With a promise to Biaselli to treat the franchise "like Shakespeare," Smith, the writers, and Powerhouse Animation forged ahead – and that's when Smith unveiled some "unofficial" Skeletor artwork from writer Tim Sheridan that he created as a git for when production wrapped. "I think you're gonna enjoy watching it. I can't thank the good folks who let me play in this playground enough." Smith then went on to credit the writing team for all of their efforts, including his podcast partner Bernardin, Carrasco, Mishra, and Sheridan: "they elevated everything." Smith wrapped up discussing MOTU with a promise to fans that next year's Comic-Con will include: "a very serious He-Man discussion with images to look at that are officially from the show and stuff."

I did not know Tony Todd was part of the voice cast, awesome!

Looks like the Revelation series will be showcased in the new 7" deluxe Masters of the Universe Masterverse action figure series. It's due out in stores next year:

Powercon-MOTUO-Masterverse-22.jpg

Kevin Smith Teases Something Masters Of The Universe Related Is Coming

Kevin Smith's Masters Of The Universe: Revelation from Netflix is on the way and something related to the series will be....announced? Revealed? Shown off? Something from the series is coming as Smith teased in the latest episode of FatMan Beyond, noting that it was supposed to be released last week but should happen this week instead. "Somebody asked about last week I talked about MOTU and there was going to be a Masters of the Universe thing, there was going to be and it got delayed," Smith said. "So hoping that it's now this week instead. Again, not a trailer, not footage, don't get excited; but there was a little something coming and it was supposed to happen Friday but it'll happen this week instead, I believe. So yes, something's coming."

Smith also offered an update on the series and how it's been going, revealing that he's seen six animated episodes already and that the first episode of the show is completely locked. The writer/director also opened up about how the process they've been using to sound mix the series since it's a task of the production that would normally require quite a few people to be in the same room. He revealed that while they first assembled a Zoom meeting of all the persons that would need to be involved, instead he had the Sound Mix team send him a completed version of the episode which he watched and then sent back his notes.

"I only had five notes on the last pass of episode one, so I was able to kind of Zoom in for that to hear those five things and then give it a blessing and it gets locked," Smith added. "Episode one is completely locked. They're starting to fall like dominoes, which means we're getting closer and closer to people being able to see this stuff. It's coming soon kids. I can't wait, I'm proud as f**k of this thing. It's so good, and I can't wait til people watch it and everyone get's their propers. You'll see Mark's (Hamill) got his own episode and what not. S**t turned out so f***ing good."

He really overhyped that announcement. He made it seem like there was going to be a trailer today.

Any new news on this? Can’t wait to see the character designs. Such a solid cast. Can’t believe how many great actors are a part of this series.

Any new news on this? Can’t wait to see the character designs. Such a solid cast. Can’t believe how many great actors are a part of this series.

Mattel-Reveals-MOTU-Masterverse-Figures-928x483.jpg

This is our first look at what the designs will look like.

Ok, this looks interesting...

Looks pretty good. Can’t wait to see the animation.
I’m currently rewatching the 2002 series (haven’t seen it since I was a kid). I am really loving it. Too bad it was so short lived.

Looking great so far and the cast is Fantastic...im hyped.

Mattel-Reveals-MOTU-Masterverse-Figures-928x483.jpg

This is our first look at what the designs will look like.

Looks like a different style to Masters of the Universe Classics. A bit more similar to the MOTU 200x series. If people collected all of the MOTUC line are they really going to want to start all over again with a new variation on it unless they're absolutely hard core collectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"