Hellboy II Dropped by Sony Pictures

TheVileOne said:
It's not like they didn't advertise Hellboy. There were even action figures.

Once again, there's not really a significant demand for this as a franchise. We aren't talking about Spider-man here.

Action figures don't really count as advertising. Happy meal toys, yeah, but not normal toys.

While it may not have been a Spider-Man, no one was expecting it to be.

Flexo said:
Action figures don't really count as advertising. Happy meal toys, yeah, but not normal toys.

While it may not have been a Spider-Man, no one was expecting it to be.
I'm just saying there's not a ton of money potential in Hellboy. So I don't see a studio wanting to spend tons of more money on it.

TheVileOne said:
I'm just saying there's not a ton of money potential in Hellboy. So I don't see a studio wanting to spend tons of more money on it.

They still made a profit off it, and it is a reletively low budget film.

Flexo said:
They still made a profit off it, and it is a reletively low budget film.
Just because it doesn't cost $150 million doesn't mean its not low budget.

TheVileOne said:
Just because it doesn't cost $150 million doesn't mean its not low budget.

Sixty million is considered low budget, especially for an action/super hero movie.

Flexo said:
Sixty million is considered low budget, especially for an action/super hero movie.

All in all, the film did pretty well, grossing $150 million plus including DVD sales. $60 million was $30 million less than GdT originally had to work with, but the studios dropped the $30 million when he insisted on casting Ron Perlman as Hellboy. It has done far batter than some junk movies that have had a sequel and even a third movie made.

HM

Hellmistress said:
All in all, the film did pretty well, grossing $150 million plus including DVD sales. $60 million was $30 million less than GdT originally had to work with, but the studios dropped the $30 million when he insisted on casting Ron Perlman as Hellboy. It has done far batter than some junk movies that have had a sequel and even a third movie made.

HM

Well, stretching cash seems to be a specialty for GdT. His movies always seem to cost more than they do.

How can anyone say $60 million is not low budget? These days it easily is, SR and X3 both cost over $200 million and it is only two years since HB.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
How can anyone say $60 million is not low budget? These days it easily is, SR and X3 both cost over $200 million and it is only two years since HB.

Well, let's split the difference and say it was a medium budget for a film that really needed a big budget - but GdT squeezed as much out of each cent that he could. All that extra $30 million would have been spent on anyway is big star payoffs - which GdT didn't want in the first place. But it wasn't a big budget in the least - it cost less than DOOM, and look at the piece of crap that turned out to be.

However, I doubt the next budget will be that much bigger - but I'm not worried on that score, as Guillermo has a rep for doing great things with tight budgets.

HM

I heard the budget for any potential sequel would still only be $60-$70 million, but that doesnt worry me, the fact that the sequel may not happen does.

...And we get a song by Barry Manilow. I can't wait to find out it's relevance.

Thank god some one has picked it up, Hellboy was one of the best CB movies of the last two years, and i have been dying to see a sequel.

Payle Gray said:
...And we get a song by Barry Manilow. I can't wait to find out it's relevance.
I bet it's at the end and then it suddenly begins: "Looks like we maaade it"

I am curious as to how this song will fit in. I look forward to waiting and seeing.

Maybe it'll be something similar to how Slim Whitman's voice destroyed the martians in "Mars Attacks". Barry Manilow's voice destroys demons :)

Payle Gray said:
Maybe it'll be something similar to how Slim Whitman's voice destroyed the martians in "Mars Attacks". Barry Manilow's voice destroys demons :)

Maybe, LOL. But i think it will be more like the "Raindrops keep falling on my head" montage in Spiderman 2.

WallCrawl said:
I don't actually mind if there isn't a Hellboy 2, as I'm more interested in the upcoming animated movies. I REALLY hope they turn out well. And I haven't heard much about the Amazing Screw-On Head project since it was announced. It was supposed to come out sometime this year. I hope it hasn't been dropped.

Here ya go - a little info on Amazing Screw-On Head Animated.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0606/17/index.htm

HM

Thank you!

July 27th, I'll be there.

Sounds like Hellboy 2 still has an uphill battle.

But it's really not a lucrative franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"