Hellboy Reboot

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
I was watching some of the second film last night and I was wondering how would Hellboy do with a reboot new cast, story the lot.

Although im a lover of the first film I think its doubtful that Perlman will dust off his shaven horns for a third.

So do you think a Reboot could work? and Who could replace Perlman?

I personally think a reboot would work well just now with the current amount of CBM is production Hellboy provides one of the few that really stem in to the supernatural.

And a replacement Gerard Butler, Kevin Durand or Ryan Hurst would all be a good choice I think.

Your Thoughts?

Would probably be better to make a tv show, i didn't like the first film, too cheesy and lacked the dark and mysterious tone i loved in the comics. The 2nd one was great due to the style working better for a Fairy tale kind of story.

Hell no. Do a third film with Perlman or leave it be.

An animated series could work.

Hell no. Do a third film with Perlman or leave it be.

dude i would love if Perlman did a third but he mentioned in an interview not long ago that it was looking less and less likely.

Would probably be better to make a tv show, i didn't like the first film, too cheesy and lacked the dark and mysterious tone i loved in the comics. The 2nd one was great due to the style working better for a Fairy tale kind of story.

Much of the first film, particularly the opening and the birth of Hellboy is about as close as you can get to translating Mignola on film.

Much of the first film, particularly the opening and the birth of Hellboy is about as close as you can get to translating Mignola on film.

But the opening and birth of Hellboy was not the entire movie. The rest was indeed adapting the first graphic novel but i found it too cheesy and the tone off.

Not every franchise has to be rebooted. Two good films were delivered; considering they are expensive to make and that Hellboy is not a really profitable character in comparison to other ones, they can let the series end.

The problem is, animated superhero shows need to be geared to children if they want to be successful, and while Hellboy isn't more inappropriate than most other comic book heroes, the name and him being a demon would scare the moral guardians.

The Hellboy comics deserve the Shonen Manga to Anime treatment, with the proper pages to animation adaptation. Maybe HBO could get a similar deal as they did for Spawn, letting an adult tv series be produced.

Meh, they already exist in their ideal form.

Mignola's style can indeed be animated however.

[YT]64GdGhuOkU[/YT]

Side note: Mignola's comics have more than their own fair share of cheeziness, btw, giant mind controlled gorillas and Nazi heads in Futurama jars, not to mention Hellboy quoting Moby Dick with editorial clarifications that is for no reason than "*Because he's drunk." Let's not act as if they are strictly serious business.

The movie also added a lot to characters that were severely lacking in the comics, Bruttenhom and Kroenen in particular.

I do find del Toro's romantic sensibilities a bit too childish and think the balance swung a bit too far in his direction for the second film.

But really, a reboot would make very little sense and would just feed into Hollywood's worst sensibilities.

Last edited:
When i say Cheesy i mean the light tone, i enjoyed the serious and Dark athmosphere from the comics. I've seen the original film a long time ago, but i do remember loving that guy with the knife who seemed to get a boost like a toy, i think it was Kroenen. but on the other hand there was the romance with Hellboy,and Liz, which wasn't bad, but i found it a bit boring, and then the cliché newcomer who Hellboy believes to be hitting on his girlfriend bit.

No reboot. Ron Perlman is Hellboy. End of discussion.

A tv show based on Hellboy or even BPRD could be incredible, as long as it was in the right network and had the right budget, it's actualy a case where each issue can roughly be adapted into an episode, expanding upon the concepts and characters, as well as giving some more depth that the comics sometimes lack when showing Mignola's amazing universe.

I don't realy expect another movie, Guillermo Del Toro waited too long for that project and now most studios are too afraid of it because they no longer have Home Media sales to help the overall gross. Would like to see a new vision on the franchise, but a reboot sounds too extreme, so i would prefer to see the stories brought to life on TV this time.

I don't think it is a matter of GDT waiting too long. The Hellboy series just hasn't had he BO success Sony and Universal respectively were looking for. I think GDT WANTS to do a 3rd Hellboy. Clearly, as he has discussed what the movie would be with the cast. But, if no one wants to touch the property due to lukewarm BO returns, how is that GDT's fault?

Personally, I'd rather just see a 3rd film myself.

yeah no reboot, third film please. a tv series isn't a bad idea either. They could make it a little less silly and more dark

Cartoon Network aired the Hellboy Animated movies, and I saw commercials for the live action movies on CN and Nick.

Gearing a tv show to children might be a challenge but it can be done, especially since most of Cartoon Network shows have a TV-PG rating.

Not every franchise has to be rebooted. Two good films were delivered; considering they are expensive to make and that Hellboy is not a really profitable character in comparison to other ones, they can let the series end.

As much as I loved the series, I agree with this.

I'd be hard pressed to accept a reboot given how great the first two were and the fact that it didn't have a final movie to wrap things up.

I need Hellboy III before a reboot, please lord Toro please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"