Henry Golding in Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins

Reaction score
From LA Times:
The company also has big plans to team up with Paramount again on movies featuring a rebooted G.I. Joe with a revamped look intended to appeal to younger audiences.

The action-figure line was turned into a movie in 2009, with a sequel four years later. Both "G.I. Joe" movies were modest box-office successes and didn't generate the level of global appeal as the "Transformers" movies.

Simon Waters, who oversees consumer products at Hasbro Studios, said the company wants to take “a more millennial approach.”

“The world has changed, and I think you’re going to see G.I. Joe changing with it,” he said. “There’s going to be a much more contemporary approach to the whole franchise, and that will allow us to develop different characters.”

Davis added: “We hope to create a head snap. It’s a different kind of ‘Joe’ — one that still resonates with ‘Joe’ fans but brings in an uninitiated audience and expands the audience internationally and domestically.”

If all goes as planned, the cinematic universe will eventually incorporate characters from other popular Hasbro properties including ROM, Micronauts, Visionaries and M.A.S.K.

The projects are still in the writing phase, and Hasbro declined to say when the first installment would be released.

When they say "Millennial Approach", I can't help but think Max Landis has a hand in this somehow. Anyone think that?

The issue with the other Joe films was the "updating". Ripoff Iron Man suits, making Duke a twenty something rookie, MARLON FRELLING WAYANS...

Look it's G.I. Joe. The old show could be terribly silly. But there has always also been the pulpy, military action side of Joe, never more shown than in most of Larry Hama's Marvel Comics run. Joe shouldn't be BLACK HAWK DOWN but what those two films were was just all flash with no substance. In a world where there are big issues of terrorism and non-state actors you could do something with the idea of the American highly trained special mission force vs. the ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

A GI Joe reboot I could get behind especially if they make it more action-packed but also make it more comedic in a sense but also making it more gritty than the Channing Tatum franchise would be the way to go...like taking a Power Rangers type approach to it

In other words, GI JOE as superheroes...

They already were superheroes last I checked.
The only new thing regarding this property in all this time has been that proposed shared universe.

I'll wait to see what they actually mean by this "millennial approach".

GI JOE has always been superheroes in military garb. They have code names, cool outfits, and interesting personalities instead of nameless soldiers. Heck, their two most popular characters are ninjas, for crying out loud. However, Paramount completely misunderstood the appeal of GI JOE and they tried to make them into the Avengers instead of a specialized force that battles a global terrorist organization. I don't believe this reboot will be any better either.

"Millennial approach"...

giphy.gif

I'll wait to see what they actually mean by this "millennial approach".
I just have this constant image of Max Landis writing the script somehow. Or that he pitched something to Hasbro.
GI JOE has always been superheroes in military garb. They have code names, cool outfits, and interesting personalities instead of nameless soldiers. Heck, their two most popular characters are ninjas, for crying out loud. However, Paramount completely misunderstood the appeal of GI JOE and they tried to make them into the Avengers instead of a specialized force that battles a global terrorist organization. I don't believe this reboot will be any better either.
If they took a Winter Soldier type approach to it, well maybe?

This is a franchise that would actualy be better in the hands of Michael Bay. It pretty much plays with his american army sensibilities.

"GI Joe taking a millenial approach"........I thought that's what they tried to do with the first movie by Bayformering it all up :huh:

They took a step in the right direction with the sequel. Not that anyone is asking for it but why not make a third entry? The first one was hot garbage but the second laid a foundation.

They took a step in the right direction with the sequel. Not that anyone is asking for it but why not make a third entry? The first one was hot garbage but the second laid a foundation.

Second movie made even less than the first one domestically.

I kinda agree with Warhammer. It's a little too soon for a reboot. The second one was decent and they could easily make a 3rd one that appeals towards millennials.

I kinda agree with Warhammer. It's a little too soon for a reboot. The second one was decent and they could easily make a 3rd one that appeals towards millennials.
It's not going to work.

Well apparently it's not going to happen, so it doesn't really matter :oldrazz:

I just have this constant image of Max Landis writing the script somehow. Or that he pitched something to Hasbro.
I don't know. Even if Max Landis added his magic touch, these flicks were already obviously aiming at the millennial crowd;
just weren't that good to warrant larger crowds.
The only thing they have yet to check off is adding kids as "Joe's"
I'd say Netflix already has that military movie genre more than covered that has likely appealed to a broad enough audience.

I only watched the 1st.
Didn't liked it, never lost time watching the 2nd.
Will eventually watch it...one day.

1st one sucked big time. The 2nd one is a decent action romp akin to the latest Fast & Furious movies. It has a much better director, the Rock as the lead helped out quite a bit, and Snake Eyes was way cooler. It's a good lazy Sunday time-killer.

They may as well take a cue from Star Trek 09 in regards how to do it.

"so we're some kinda.... GI joes?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"