High school classmates who were jerks - are they successful now? Or losers?

The biggest bullies and jerks went on to become policemen cause they have no better way to make that much cash. The rest were born into families with money so they are ok fiancially.

The biggest bullies and jerks went on to become policemen cause they have no better way to make that much cash. The rest were born into families with money so they are ok fiancially.

I've heard something like that. The jackholes become either cops or criminals because both give a feeling of power.

Not that I'm saying cops are bad guys. Just one theory I heard. :o

I've heard something like that. The jackholes become either cops or criminals because both give a feeling of power.

Not that I'm saying cops are bad guys. Just one theory I heard. :o
Some cops are genuinely good guys, but some cops are how you describe. It happens everywhere.

When Facebook first became popular in my junior year of college, I looked up classmates from middle school I hadn't talked to in years and years. I guess what surprised me the most was that despite us all being in the same "gifted" class/section 3 years in a row, only a few had retained the nerdyness and gone on to a suitably nerdy school. The rest went on to nonnerdy fields, state schools, and community colleges.

I was minorly bullied in elementary school for a myriad of reasons, but I don't think any of my bullies went to dramatic ends. Some people grow up and mature out of their bullying ways. One of my good friends in high school claimed she was a huge bully when she was younger, which majorly surprised me because she was seriously one of the nicest people. She just said one day she decided that it was stupid to bully people and that was that.

Adults who are jerks though....karma comes to them. :o :hehe:

I was discussing this with one of my best friends whom I've been hanging out with since high school and we were referring to one of his ex-gf's who was our age and still working in the service industry (one of the theme restaurants). If you are going to be a manager, owner or something that's fine, but if you are in your 30s working as a waiter or a bartender unless your paying your way through school, really need to think about another career.

I know I went on a tangent but this topic made me think about some of the people I went to high school with and are still working at a Fridays or something like that.

I only had one guy who really bullied me back in Jr. High and I've never found out what's happened to him. I did befriend a girl I went to school with and he's apparently a close friend of her and her husband and is apparetly the nicest guy in the world. My old bitterness refused to believe that and assumed he was going to make a move on her any day... just because I want to continue thinking of him as a *****ebag.

Though I did try to work through my issues with the guy years after highschool. I write books for a hobby and my last one I added him in exactly as I remembered him doing crap that I remember him doing, but then I evolved him into a decent guy and a likable character until he became my favorite character in the book.

It actually helped me out some so that I don't hate the guy on thought.

Last edited:
I was discussing this with one of my best friends whom I've been hanging out with since high school and we were referring to one of his ex-gf's who was our age and still working in the service industry (one of the theme restaurants). If you are going to be a manager, owner or something that's fine, but if you are in your 30s working as a waiter or a bartender unless your paying your way through school, really need to think about another career.

I know I went on a tangent but this topic made me think about some of the people I went to high school with and are still working at a Fridays or something like that.

Yeah, I don't really "follow-up" on the people I went to high school with, but I've also noticed that a lot of people are still waiting tables. Saddening.

Your friends are still in their early to mind 20s though right? It's not as bad as being in your 30s. Are some of them going for their masters? :huh:

No, these are people who couldn't be bothered to attend college at all :csad: And have worked at the same restaurant for almost 10 years and haven't been promoted.

The service industry is such a tempting dead end for people in their late teens and early twenties. Making $300 on a Friday or something along the lines of $1200 for working a weekend but they don't seem to realize that's always going to be the most you'll ever going to make.

The service industry is such a tempting dead end for people in their late teens and early twenties. Making $300 on a Friday or something along the lines of $1200 for working a weekend but they don't seem to realize that's always going to be the most you'll ever going to make.
Hey, $1200 is around what I make in a whole paycheck, and I work in a cancer research lab armed with a BA from a good college. :funny:

But besides there being no opportunity for promotion (there isn't in my position either :o ), it's the same thing day in, day out. Maybe you get the odd entertaining customer, but I think I would go crazy from the lack of mental challenge, let alone for years on end. Plus you're at the mercy of everybody.

Well throw in the incestuous banging that goes on within these places. Know so many people who try and date within these places, and they break up and date someone else in the restaurant while the other person dates somebody else. And when fresh meat arrives in the form of a new hostess?

$1200 for working a weekend?! I need to give up my job and go this route!! That's $300 more for a weekend than I make in a two week paycheck!

$1200 for working a weekend?! I need to give up my job and go this route!! That's $300 more for a weekend than I make in a two week paycheck!

Haha, it's a little bit more than I make in a two week paycheck, too. Woo hoo Bachelor's degree. :csad:

Well, I live near the shore and NYC so I knew people who worked the bars there.

But working at a TGI Fridays, I knew people who came out with 250 to 300 on a Fri or Sat night. Maybe 150 to 200 on Sundays.

Jeez. I had entire paychecks that were around 300 sometimes. Gotta get in on this restaurant stuff

Which is why I always said these places were traps for younger people. More money than you ever make and no real taxes, promiscuity but of course you're working from early afternoon into the early morning. You have to hang out with the people you work with after hours. Get home at like 5-6 am. School at 8 am.

Well throw in the incestuous banging that goes on within these places. Know so many people who try and date within these places, and they break up and date someone else in the restaurant while the other person dates somebody else. And when fresh meat arrives in the form of a new hostess?
Actually that sounds like the stories my friends told me of working in Disneyland. :funny:

Haha, it's a little bit more than I make in a two week paycheck, too. Woo hoo Bachelor's degree. :csad:
We were joking that the construction workers (who will be working outside of our lab for the next two years...) make $60/hr once they got a few certifications to man big bulldozers and whatever. Often, it would be 4-5 construction workers watching one guy do the actual work.

Maybe we were in the wrong business. But at least in our job there's no fear of being hit with a crane or getting your appendages lopped off. :funny:

I know people the same year as me that are on their 6th year of community college. If you're spending 6 years at a JC, you've really wasted your time.

Which is why I always said these places were traps for younger people. More money than you ever make and no real taxes, promiscuity but of course you're working from early afternoon into the early morning. You have to hang out with the people you work with after hours. Get home at like 5-6 am. School at 8 am.

Actually that sounds like the stories my friends told me of working in Disneyland. :funny:

What I'm hearing is that my youth was wasted by not working in the hospitality industry...

I know people the same year as me that are on their 6th year of community college. If you're spending 6 years at a JC, you've really wasted your time.
I'm thinking of going back to school at a JC, and considering that I'll be working full-time, my time of attendance is starting to get more and more spaced out....:o

But yeah, if you're at a JC just fooling around for 6 years, that's rather lame.

What I'm hearing is that my youth was wasted by not working in the hospitality industry...
Eh, I didn't have a bf until I got to college and it didn't really bother me because the guys at my HS were such losers....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"