First Avenger History cast Captain America

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Just for a bit of fun, who would you cast in a Captain America film if you had a time machine. Anyone you want, you're limited only by your imagination. Some choice to get you started...
Burt Lancaster
burtlancaster.jpg

Robert Redford
robertredfordthenatural.jpg

Paul Newman
paul20newman.jpg

Steve McQueen
inmcqueen.jpg

Charlton Heston
heston.jpg

I don't like Lancaster for it but the rest could be excellent. I'm a massive Paul Newman fan but I definitely would want McQueen to play Cap. That would be badass.

It would be a toss-up for me between Redford and Newman. I voted Redford, tho, cause Newman has always been a dead ringer for Marvelman.

Steve McQueen without a doubt. He's Kirby's Cap brought to life.

And who can play The Red Skull but Klaus Kinski?

Robert Redford would be the one for me. Always pictured his face when I was reading the books as a kid (did a manip a few years back with his face as the base as well).

I watched Ghost last year and thought to myself, MAN does Patrick Swayze look like Steve Rogers haha, I think he would of been great

Steve Reeves is the historic actor to play Cap for me. While Redford has the face... Reeves has the entire package.

SteveReeves2.jpg

Steve Reeves should've played as Hercules (the comic character) not the Greek mythological character (which he did play). The comic version of Hercules is based upon Reeves's version. I remember one Avengers issue where some kid thinks he is Steve Reeves.

Robert Redford would've made a fine Cap. If he were at his peak today, I'd want him in the main role. He would bring a gravitas to it that Evans could only hope to match. Redford really is the epitome of the all-American hero on film.

Paul Newman would have been cool IMO. Not to meantion we could have then had Captain America Salad Dressing!

cap_salad.jpg

He also had the car!

paul-newman-takes-last-laps-at-lime-rock.jpg

Redford would have been a perfect Cap.

Newman should have been Green Lantern. Hal Jordan was supposed to look like him.

Redford would have been great... And a personal favourite who I guess missed out by 5-10 years was Aaron Ekhart.

How about
images

Lex Barker
images

images

Not an A list actor, but competent enough, and certainly physically he measured up.

Or in the same vein....
images

Ty Hardin
images

Last edited:
spar460.jpg

Kirk Douglas- fifties

600full-clint-eastwood.jpg

Clint Eastwood- sixties

0.jpg

Robert Redford- seventies

soldier1.jpg

Kurt Russell- eighties

10969534_gal.jpg

Brad Pitt- nineties

Toss up between Redford and McQueen for me...I went with Steve since he wouldn't have to change his first name. :)

Redford is the perfect Cap.

Robert Redford and Mike Valley are like twin Steve Rogers' from utero.

Jimmy Stewart before the serum.

John Wayne after!

Seriously, Charlton Heston could've pulled it off perfectly because he had the voice and presence to match.

Burt Lancaster did all his own stunts back then... I saw some behind the scenes footage of him jumping off trains and some truly crazy stuff. I was amazed that the studio or director let him do some of the things that I was watching... he WAS Captain America.

I am happy with Chris Evans. If I had a time machine, I would cast Tim Robbins, circa 1993, as Captain America/Steve Rogers.

I'd narrow it down to McQueen, Newman and Redford, and of those, I'd say Newman is too light-hearted/George Clooney-esque, and Redford is too pretty-boy/ Brad Pitt-esque. McQueen brings the right look and gravity and quiet charisma and overall bad-assery to the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"