First Avenger The Official Captain America Box Office Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekend estimates say Cap made about 65.8 mil (according to box office guru).

It's weird because I like all of the actors in C&A, and of course Favreau, but I find myself wanting C&A to be defeated next weekend by Cap ha ha.

I have to say that the BO story for CA:TFA has been very interesting so far.

I was very surprised to see that so many BO tracking sites estimate really low opening weekend takes of low to mid 50's, because on many websites this movie was by far the most anticipated of the summer CBSM's. The current estimate of 64-66 million was my lower limit estimate. I was actually expecting a 70-80 million opening weekend. I have to say that it's a bit disappointing to see so few Americans turn out to see a movie about a classic patriotic nationalistic hero.

It's difficult to judge the response of the GA to this movie and thus predict it's final take. Here's what I've seen so far:
IMDB - 7.9/10 avrg viewer rating from over 2000 votes
Cinemascore - A-
RottenTomatoes - viewer score is 86% approval from over 75,000 votes with an avrg of 4.1/5
BoxOfficeMojo - B avrg rating from 319 votes, with 61% giving it an A and (disturbingly) 20 % giving it an F.

If $65.8 holds true, that's AMAZING. Way to go Cap! Especially after all the Potter doom & gloom and estimates saying that Cap would be lucky to hit $55.

It'll be interesting to see how it does this week and next weekend. I get the feeling from last night that the reviews for C&A are going to be just as mixed as Caps. There was a surprising little amount of twitter buzz for such a huge gadget friendly audience. And the few reactions that we did get were mixed.

The question is will good to great WOM help CA:TFA's long term box-office performance?

It seems many Americans this year have made up their mind about what movies they are willing to see and positive WOM does not influence that. It didn't help XM:FC at all which was very sad.

Anyway keeping my fingers crossed for Cap; it would be very nice to see him cross the 200 million domestic gross threshold!

BoxOfficeMojo - B avrg rating from 319 votes, with 61% giving it an A and (disturbingly) 20 % giving it an F.

That is not surprising to me at all. There is a definite love it or hate it factor going on here. More than any of the other Marvel Studios films. A lot of people who didn't like the movie hated it. You can see that in some of the reviews and a quick twitter (fb, tumblr, etc) search will give you 8 people who thought was good/great/best cbm ever and 1 person calling the worst movie they've ever seen so don't waste your money.

That is not surprising to me at all. There is a definite love it or hate it factor going on here. More than any of the other Marvel Studios films. A lot of people who didn't like the movie hated it. You can see that in some of the reviews and a quick twitter (fb, tumblr, etc) search will give you 8 people who thought was good/great/best cbm ever and 1 person calling the worst movie they've ever seen so don't waste your money.

Harry Potter fans are the ones voting it "F" or "1" on IMDB sight unseen. That's only natural. Let's not forget the DC/Green Lantern crowd and the flat out anti-American crowd. It's amazing any of the numbers are that good. It's not a true reflection of the high quality of the film.

It'd be the most impressive box office opening for a superhero film this year (or did Thor make more?), to say nothing of it competing with Harry Potter, which had the biggest opening weekend of all time just last week.

Well with it doing the same(or hopefully even slightly better) on OW than Thor did, I think it's very likely that it will have even better legs simply for the fact that it has summer weekdays to help it. Both seem to be having comparably decent-to-good WOM from most reactions so in that respect I think they're pretty equal.

It'd be the most impressive box office opening for a superhero film this year (or did Thor make more?), to say nothing of it competing with Harry Potter, which had the biggest opening weekend of all time just last week.

Thor made 65.7M opening weekend so Cap just might have edged Thor out. Gotta wait for the actuals though to know for sure when they're this close.

Harry Potter fans are the ones voting it "F" or "1" on IMDB sight unseen. That's only natural. Let's not forget the DC/Green Lantern crowd and the flat out anti-American crowd. It's amazing any of the numbers are that good. It's not a true reflection of the high quality of the film.

that happens with any film though. If the 20% voting F's on box office mojo is higher than normal, I have no idea if it is or not but saying it IS, it's not going to be JUST the Potter/GL fans voting it down.

The people who like the movie out weigh the people who don't (and I think those people who hate it are crazy) but they're still out there. Unfortunately. lol

Thor made 65.7M opening weekend so Cap just might have edged Thor out. Gotta wait for the actuals though to know for sure when they're this close.

They are practically the same. Success all round. Now who will buy the round of drinks for us to toast a job well done? :awesome:

I think at BOM it's less the GL fans and much more the Potter fans. BOM is Pirates & Potter Central, basically. It's one of the reasons I left a few years back.

that happens with any film though. If the 20% voting F's on box office mojo is higher than normal, I have no idea if it is or not but saying it IS, it's not going to be JUST the Potter/GL fans voting it down.

The people who like the movie out weigh the people who don't (and I think those people who hate it are crazy) but they're still out there. Unfortunately. lol

The Boxofficemojo rating is based on 322 votes. They don't have very many users participating in their polls. Given that, it's hard for me to take their numbers too seriously, especially since it's probable that some are voting CA down because they're fans of other franchises.

Cinemascore is pretty much always the best to go by. It's true exit-polling.

The Boxofficemojo rating is based on 322 votes. They don't have very many users participating in their polls. Given that, it's hard for me to take their numbers too seriously, especially since it's probable that some are voting CA down because they're fans of other franchises.

Fans voting it down is definitely happening. Par for the course, really.

They are practically the same. Success all round. Now who will buy the round of drinks for us to toast a job well done? :awesome:

LOL Success all around, I'll drink to that. Feels like a job well done right now.

The job isn't done yet soldiers!

Not until CA:TFA crosses that $200 million domestic mark.

Anyone else find it a bit disheartening that some of the most mediocre to outright crappy franchises will be this year's highest grossers? I'm not CBM focused; I like a lot of genre's but look at what will this year's highest grossers:

- HP7pt2: Not a bad movie, but still a guite mediocre one. Yates is such a mediocre director that since he came on board the quality of this franchise has just dropped. I know peopl say this one was great but for me they continue the Yates movie trend of see once and forget about after.

- TF3: Uuuuuuugggghh!

- POTC4: more Uuuuuuugggghh!

from 319 votes, with 61% giving it an A and (disturbingly) 20 % giving it an F.

I wouldn't be disturbed by that. Anytime you see high numbers of 'F's' given to movie, it's obvious trolling. Just look at The Dark Knight's IMDB score. It has nearly 17,000 votes (3%) of a '1' rating. That is so laughable that it's clearly the act of trolls, haters, and idiots.

There are few movies deserving of an F score. Even Green Lantern, Ghost Rider, Elektra, and Jonah Hex weren't THAT bad.

The job isn't done yet soldiers!

Not until CA:TFA crosses that $200 million domestic mark.

Anyone else find it a bit disheartening that some of the most mediocre to outright crappy franchises will be this year's highest grossers? I'm not CBM focused; I like a lot of genre's but look at what will this year's highest grossers:

- HP7pt2: Not a bad movie, but still a guite mediocre one. Yates is such a mediocre director that since he came on board the quality of this franchise has just dropped. I know peopl say this one was great but for me they continue the Yates movie trend of see once and forget about after.

- TF3: Uuuuuuugggghh!

- POTC4: more Uuuuuuugggghh!

Those three films were all part of established franchises with a guaranteed fanbase, and HP 7 Part 2 being the last film meant all the Potter fans were bound to be tripping over themselves to see it.

Established franchises tend to be the highest grossing films. That's just how it is.

But it sounds like Cap is doing well so far. :up:

Those three films were all part of established franchises with a guaranteed fanbase, and HP 7 Part 2 being the last film meant all the Potter fans were bound to be tripping over themselves to see it.

Established franchises tend to be the highest grossing films. That's just how it is.

But it sounds like Cap is doing well so far. :up:

Transformers 1 wasn't established. It opened on a Monday and still had a 3 day in the 70 mill range.

Fast Five is an example of established franchises doing well, however the last two installments were also established and they didn't open in the 80mill range.

60mill is good enough to be better than the rest(marvel wins this year) but times must be rough if we are now toasting and hollering to these kinda openings. It's great that it beat potter though. (like RTOK, that single film alone doesn't deserve the money it's getting)

Weekend estimates say Cap made about 65.8 mil (according to box office guru).

aRRJG.jpg

F*** YEAH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi