First Avenger The Official Captain America Box Office Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the opening weekend of cap is much more impressive then thor, for many reasons.
1) Potter and other giante summer competition (TF3)
2) debut in less theaters than Thor
3) dont have Imax , thor did
4) the 3D sales is only 39% of the boxoffice , thor had 60%, it means Cpa sales more tickets than thor.

Yes but Captain America is a lot more well known. Lets not one up each other here. Its all good. Thor's exposure before this was dodgy 60's cartoons, cheap retro TV and Adventures in Babysitting. You have to start somewhere and to start on a par with Captain America who has so much cultural penetration is outstanding.

Both movies had challenges ahead of them and have conquered them.

The job isn't done yet soldiers!

Not until CA:TFA crosses that $200 million domestic mark.

Anyone else find it a bit disheartening that some of the most mediocre to outright crappy franchises will be this year's highest grossers? I'm not CBM focused; I like a lot of genre's but look at what will this year's highest grossers:

- HP7pt2: Not a bad movie, but still a guite mediocre one. Yates is such a mediocre director that since he came on board the quality of this franchise has just dropped. I know peopl say this one was great but for me they continue the Yates movie trend of see once and forget about after.
Too bad nearly all the fans and critics disagree with you. I can't believe you just called Harry Potter a mediocre to outright crappy franchise. Nobody cares what you thought about Harry Potter in the Captain America thread. If you want to discuss your complaints with that movie, there is a forum for that. Nobody goes into the Harry Potter thread to discuss what they disliked about Captain America.

Other than seeing the 1st half of Sorcerer's Stone(which I walked out of but then I was just killing time while waiting for another movie), I've never seen any of the HP films. They simply aren't my thing.

Yes but Captain America is a lot more well known. Lets not one up each other here. Its all good. Thor's exposure before this was dodgy 60's cartoons, cheap retro TV and Adventures in Babysitting. You have to start somewhere and to start on a par with Captain America who has so much cultural penetration is outstanding.

Both movies had challenges ahead of them and have conquered them.

Let´s not forget that Cap didn´t have such a great mainstream record either. Although the character is so well-known, all he had was a crappy serial where he wasn´t even Steve Rogers, the same kind of cheap 60s cartoon Thor had, two VERY cheesy TV movies and a cheap, crappy as hell movie that didn´t even get a theatrical release.

Let´s not forget that Cap didn´t have such a great mainstream record either. Although the character is so well-known, all he had was a crappy serial where he wasn´t even Steve Rogers, the same kind of cheap 60s cartoon Thor had, two VERY cheesy TV movies and a cheap, crappy as hell movie that didn´t even get a theatrical release.

But let's not forget that when Thor opened, classes were still going on, so not enough kids were able to front load the friday screening. Hence Cap's audience being younger this 1st weekend. Anyway, it's just estimates at this point, let's not get carried away.

Transformers 1 wasn't established. It opened on a Monday and still had a 3 day in the 70 mill range.

Transformers was established in that it had a built in fanbase from all the millions of kids all over the world who have grown up up playing with the toys, watching the cartoons, etc since the mid 80's (a lot more kids than who have ever read Marvel or DC comic books). The TF fad was after my childhood so I had no idea they were so big until that first film came out.

60mill is good enough to be better than the rest(marvel wins this year) but times must be rough if we are now toasting and hollering to these kinda openings. It's great that it beat potter though. (like RTOK, that single film alone doesn't deserve the money it's getting)

60 mil in today's economic climate is good enough. The real test of success though will be the coming weekdays and next weekend. Will have a better idea of what legs the films has then.

60 mil in today's economic climate is good enough. The real test of success though will be the coming weekdays and next weekend. Will have a better idea of what legs the films has then.

Exactly. Especially since last week estimates had Cap opening at around 55mil. Doing 10 million more than that is a huge win for the weekend.

Next week will be interesting, not only to see what kind of legs Cap has but because of the wide-release in the international box office. Thor did almost 60% of it's box office over-seas. And while I don't think Cap is going to bomb as bad as some are predicting. It's going to be hard to do as well as Thor did. Fingers-crossedl!

Yeah, I really hope Cap's legs are GREAT!

We really don't want it to have TERRIBLE legs like that last mediocre Harry Putter movie.

When a movie PLUMMETS over 70% you know lots of people saw it it and went "Meh, bleh, at least it's over."

It would be fantastic to see Cap pull legs like Abrams Star Trek!

We really don't want it to have TERRIBLE legs like that last mediocre Harry Putter movie.

When a movie PLUMMETS over 70% you know lots of people saw it it and went "Meh, bleh, at least it's over."

There are many factors for it plummeting 70%, its opening weekend was highly inflated due to fan rush. Its just preforming like any other Potter movie now.

Transformers was established in that it had a built in fanbase from all the millions of kids all over the world who have grown up up playing with the toys, watching the cartoons, etc since the mid 80's (a lot more kids than who have ever read Marvel or DC comic books). The TF fad was after my childhood so I had no idea they were so big until that first film came out.

I think not. Just because it was a hit 80's show doesn't mean it's established. How many "people" buy captain america comics compared to transformers? How popular were those anime like modern TF cartoons when compared to stuff like cartoon networks avengers/marvel shows.

Pre-movie TF was as dead as Heman is now. All those kids you speak of that grew up playing with the toys make up a fraction of movie ticket buyers. Captain America is more popular than any GI Joe member and joe is was more popular than TF.

Marvel comics was popular in the 60's through to the 90's and by the time Marvel films started eating box office numbers(spiderman/ironman), it would be hard to argue that bigger marvel affiliates aren't established in some way shape or form. A lot more than any Hasbro/Mattel adaptation.

65 is good for lesser films. All this celebration for marvel hitting 60 I find all too telling. What a mess it would have been for the original Spiderman to open with a 65. It's not that these characters are lesser known it's that they are selling lesser movies. Iron Man sold a bigger movie.

If those "terrible legs" mean Captain America opening to $170 million, and grossing nearly $300 million in two weekends, I would take them any day.

Marvel will be happy enough that their grand Avengers scheme is on track, but yeah, let's not go too nuts over this opening. Like Thor, once you get over the fact that it's not a disaster then the numbers are pretty much as expected (despite tracking most people estimated in the 60s range).

I said early last week that HP7 would likely face a 70% drop, and I wasn't trying to blast the film or anything, just that it was frontloaded with it being the last episode. Incidently I thought it was a great movie and probably my 3rd favorite besides the first two.

In any case, there were a few hard core fans that said it would never drop 70% and sure enough it did. There's this whole perception that if a movie drops that big that it wasn't well liked. That couldn't be further from the truth. Some movies like Wolverine, for example, a 70% drop is a good indicator that the fans didn't think much of the film, but Potter made in 4 days what Wolverine did over it's entire domestic run.

Here we go with the "this movie's opening is more impressive than this movie" nonesense, let's just be happy that both films are well recieved as well as box office successes.

Marvel will be happy enough that their grand Avengers scheme is on track, but yeah, let's not go too nuts over this opening. Like Thor, once you get over the fact that it's not a disaster then the numbers are pretty much as expected (despite tracking most people estimated in the 60s range).

Other than BOM, no other site was predicting 60's for Cap. And even cap outperformed their estimates. This was fantastic for Cap, and because the 3D was down the attendance was higher than Thor.

Other than BOM, no other site was predicting 60's for Cap. And even cap outperformed their estimates. This was fantastic for Cap, and because the 3D was down the attendance was higher than Thor.

Off the top of my head (though he got Potter totally wrong): http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=79894

But I remember a lot of other box office blogs predicting in the 60s. The 3D share is impressive, but I'm more happy about that simply because I want the format to die. The film will flirt with 200m domestic, but it'd have to get over that for me to see it as a breakout hit - otherwise it's simply (good) business as usual.

I honestly thought Cap would come in at #2 this weekend...happy to see that i was wrong. :yay:

No suprise there, he is Captain AMERICA after all.

No suprise there, he is Captain AMERICA after all.

True, it seems to be playing out as I expected in that Thor would be the winner in WW box office, but Cap would probably win domestically.

Both are great films and successful. No they won't be the next "Iron Man" or whatever, but they did solid business, and more importantly audiences loved both of them.

Harry Potter ALWAYS drops significantly after week one. Harry Potter die-hards are the types who all go see it opening week and never see it again until it arrives on DVD/Blu-Ray.

I think Cap will have pretty good legs. WOM is pretty good and I know some people who have still yet to see it. Also, most reviews are fairly solid.

True, it seems to be playing out as I expected in that Thor would be the winner in WW box office, but Cap would probably win domestically.

Both are great films and successful. No they won't be the next "Iron Man" or whatever, but they did solid business, and more importantly audiences loved both of them.

This :up:

Harry Potter ALWAYS drops significantly after week one. Harry Potter die-hards are the types who all go see it opening week and never see it again until it arrives on DVD/Blu-Ray.

I think Cap will have pretty good legs. WOM is pretty good and I know some people who have still yet to see it. Also, most reviews are fairly solid.

I don't think the WB is worried about Harry Potter not being #1 since World Wide it has made $834.5 million in 10 days. Captain America can only dream to get to a billion & then some

I'm so glad Cap came out number one this weekend. Now bring on the sequel Marvel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"