Hollywood Reporter Interviews Shuler-Donner

I have no idea how she can compare Gambit to Nightcrwaler. Gambit and Wolverine would have wiped out alot of the brother hood before Angel makes up his mind to join. In the 90's cartoon version Wolverine and Gambit has some very good rifting matches going on.

So now we're bashing eachother and/over Lauren too?

Jeez people...I'll be so glad when this movie gets here and is gone. Some here are so bent out of shape we can't even discuss articles anymore without flaming. :rolleyes:

WorthyStevens4 said:
How was Endeavor being an ass? He was just stating his opinion.

"Oh please. I wonder if anybody bothers to actually check history before they make such claims."

that was not an opinion. that was a two-faced way of insulting someone.

if you dont see it, that's ok. maybe i'm sensitive to these things. i'm just not a fan of posts that are rude for no reason.

The other weapon in the "X-Men" arsenal is its legion of fans, who have been nothing if not vocal about their wants and desires for the series. It's been possible to keep the series fresh by adding new characters from the comics. But which ones to add this time was a subject of some debate. The filmmakers decided to listen to the fans, who had been begging for more of Kitty Pride, plus Juggernaut, Beast and Angel. Gambit, on the other hand, was deemed too similar to "2's'' Nightcrawler, Shuler Donner says.
This time out, Halle Berry as Storm gets to kick some serious butt -- and moved so fast during her wire shots that she had to take Dramamine. "She wanted to fly and fly she does," Shuler Donner says. "The women superheroes are as vital as the males. They're part of the world: I'd argue that Storm, Jean Grey, Kitty and Rogue are big Marvel action heroines."
Gambit is too similar to nighcrawler?! Rogue is an action herione? When:confused: LMAO

To be fair Lauren Shuler-Donner is the one that originally bought movie rights for X-Men if i'm not mistaken. I read that at the time lots people thought she was crazy because they thought it was impossible to bring the x-men comics to the big screen.

WorthyStevens4 said:
How was Endeavor being an ass? He was just stating his opinion.
Because they mistake my disdain towards LSD and think it's directed at them. I'm just annoyed at the fact people give her more credit than the person who we should all be thanking.
Many people don't even know who Tom is.

I Know who Tom Desanto is.... The Fact was ..i was addressing the interview ABOUT LAUREN SHULER DONNER.......If it was about Desanto.. i'd appropriately address it.

Gambit is too similar to Nightcrawler as in, "similar roles". Assassin/shadowy figure, quasi-evil, then becomes good. It was done in X2. Doing something incredibly similar in X3 WOULD be kind of redundant plotwise. And they're clearly holding him back for an X4/GENERATION X movie.

Endeavor said:
Edit: If by 'respect for the material' you mean she was a contributing factor in putting Wolverine up on a pedestal then yeah, by all means, appreciate her.
Wolverine was already up on a pedestal, by comic books standards at least, even before the movies. It was no surprise his personal story was the one chosen to "guide" the first X-Men movie.
And I love Lauren. I don´t care if she´s less important than Tom de Santo. Whatever. I love her because she´s always so enthusiastic, intelligent and articulated. And she seems a genuine down-to-earth, simple person. Which is rare in this business.

The Guard said:
Doing something incredibly similar in X3 WOULD be kind of redundant plotwise. And they're clearly holding him back for an X4/GENERATION X movie.

Jean died at the end of X2 & dies again at the end of X3. They are already doing redeundant plots

It's hardly that simple. She sacrificed herself in X2 after her powers developed, and she will be killed in X3, after spending the film as a villain in huge conflict. Those are not that similar in terms of plot. Her entire arc is not similar as Gambit's would be to Nightcrawlers.

But overall the Fans would be happy & in the end it is redundant with how Jeans Story ends with her sacrificing herself at the end of both Movies. Well in X3 she may not kill herself like she did in X2 but she tells & LETS a certain Mutant kill her. So in a way they are alike

Yes, in a way, they are alike. But only in a small way. There are ENORMOUS differences. That's like saying it's redundant that the good guys win. There are hardly that many similarities.

Lightning Strikez! said:
I love this woman...if it weren't for Lauren we wouldn't have gotten what we did these last six years.

Yes, sometimes nitpicking fans can be far too ungrateful. I thank her for all her efforts.

josh8 said:
"Oh please. I wonder if anybody bothers to actually check history before they make such claims."

that was not an opinion. that was a two-faced way of insulting someone.

if you dont see it, that's ok. maybe i'm sensitive to these things. i'm just not a fan of posts that are rude for no reason.

Well put... Josh, I think endeavor is Tom DeSantos.. I Keed:D :D

I didn't know she was married to Richard Donner.

And the fact that she mentioned how they couldn't push the release date back in fear of competition (even though it makes sense from a bussiness stand point) really shows that the desire for money was first and foremost. The reason I think they are truly with holding Gambit is because they need a hook if there is an X men 4.

I really don't think they listened to the fans at all.

But I still do like her. And I liked how she compared it to Star Trek, because those movies worked very well together and that's sort of how I see (saw?) the franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"