Homeschooling?

Destructus86

Superhero
Reaction score
So, I know nothing of home school I think. I remember when I was really young my mom home schooled me. Basically it was her teaching me from books at home…but surely it must be more complicated nowadays? Or is that it? Is THAT home schooling? One parent has to stay home to be a teacher?

I am just wondering what home schooling is like nowadays. I don’t have any kids but might have one in the future and to be honest…the idea of them going to public school is unsettling to say the least. Especially with how aggressive and violent children are today.

Kids will always be aggressive/violent. Your parents got picked on as kids, and their parents as well. Its a way of life. Kids form groups and pick on each other.

Gun violence and whatnot is a scary reality but I feel your child's growth in not only social skills but to learn how to understand and deal with being picked on makes them grow up to be a lot better of a person.

That's just my two cents :)

oh trust me. I totally understand being picked on. I was harassed every day during my school years. But there is no denying that kids are far more violent nowadays then in my time.

It was nearly unheard of to hear about school shootings or kids killing other kids. The most that would happen when I was young was a kid would get beat up for whatever reason. But nowadays kids take it to a whole new level. Just look at the rise in child on child murders for proof of that.

There are alternatives to public schools and homeschooling like private schools. The reality of extreme school violence today is also greatly exaggerated from what it used to be. With the internet and 24 hour media, we hear and see more about school shootings and violence than before so the perception is greater than the reality.

The bullying and torment are still very real though there's been a backlash against it so I would expect by the time you had school age children it won't be tolerated to the extent it was/is now.

So, I know nothing of home school I think. I remember when I was really young my mom home schooled me. Basically it was her teaching me from books at home…but surely it must be more complicated nowadays? Or is that it? Is THAT home schooling? One parent has to stay home to be a teacher?

I am just wondering what home schooling is like nowadays. I don’t have any kids but might have one in the future and to be honest…the idea of them going to public school is unsettling to say the least. Especially with how aggressive and violent children are today.
Yes. Technology has created avenues for rigorous, highly structured, and interactive education outside of a school environment. These allow for a combination of parent-lead, private teacher-lead, and even self-lead education. "Virtual Academies" are becoming an increasingly popular alternative to public and private schools. There are also combinations of participating in these at home, and with a small number of other students in the academy in order to best get the group interaction that only home schooling misses.

I know it doesn't seem like it if you focus on the tragedies that do still occur. But actually the world is currently safer than it's ever been.

The level of violence in schools tends to vary from school to school, year to year. There were more fights at the local high school when my brother went there than when I went there 3 years after he left.

As for school shootings, those have been going on for as long as there have been schools and guns for kids to get ahold of. Just look at this list.

That said, if you really are determined to homeschool your future children, I urge you to put as much effort into it as possible. Make sure you take the time to know the material you're teaching your kids before you lecture them, so you can answer any questions. And take the time to make sure even the simplest things set in. I have a cousin whose wife homeschools their son, and this 7 year old boy can't even spell his own first name in one try. I weep for his future.

That is another thing to consider. Are you sure you or your spouse will be up to the task of actually educating your child? Some people are brilliant but utterly incapable teachers while others might be of average intelligence but excellent at teaching children. Teachers at least have a degree saying they're qualified, though clearly it doesn't always mean anything.

oh trust me. I totally understand being picked on. I was harassed every day during my school years. But there is no denying that kids are far more violent nowadays then in my time.

It was nearly unheard of to hear about school shootings or kids killing other kids. The most that would happen when I was young was a kid would get beat up for whatever reason. But nowadays kids take it to a whole new level. Just look at the rise in child on child murders for proof of that.

Well, you can't protect your kids from everything. They could get killed walking down the street. I'd never even consider having my kid get homeschooled, if only from the social interaction point of view. If you work hard enough the traditional educaution (reading, writing, science, math, etc...) will be there, but the social interaction could be easily lost and I think that just as or more important than the text book learning. The world is a scary place and bad things can and will happen, but you can't let that guide you.

It varies considerably, but there is a lot of online homeschooling, which uses, as you might guess, resources online.

The thing about homeschooling is that it's not necessarily cost-effective. Remember, one parent has to actually be there to make sure the kid is being schooled.

On average homeschooled kids are better educated than their public education counterparts. Also, you'd think they'd be less social, but with the state of social interaction in public schools (racism, cliques, etc), they may actually be just as social, if not more so.

Also, you'd think they'd be less social, but with the state of social interaction in public schools (racism, cliques, etc), they may actually be just as social, if not more so.
What's the data supporting that idea? And are you suggesting that the state of social interaction is actually more racist than it used to be? Yeah, I'm gonna need to read some studies before I swallow this.

Last edited:
I've met a few homeschooled kids back in high school (I graduated in 2010). They were all really awkward socially (they made me look like George Clooney in comparison). Personally, I would never do it, and I'm not too fond of the idea because you are placed in very small bubble.

Good or bad, I feel as though kids have to go out in public and live their lives. You can't shield them from the world because going to school and interacting with other kids and other adults like school faculty are essential for growing up and having the skills needed to survive in the real world.

What's the data supporting that idea? And are you suggesting that the state of social interaction is actually more racist than it used to be? Yeah, I gonna need to read some studies before I swallow this.

Where am I suggesting that?

I have no data. I'm simply stating as an individual, who has been to public schools, private schools, and briefly home-schooled, that it is my belief that the latter isn't prone to being any more socially inept (or disadvantaged) than the former.

And if you really want something with data, I did find this on Wikipedia:

Homeschool graduates are active and involved in their communities. 71% participate in an ongoing community service activity, like coaching a sports team, volunteering at a school, or working with a church or neighborhood association, compared with 37% of U.S. adults of similar ages from a traditional education background.
Homeschool graduates are more involved in civic affairs and vote in much higher percentages than their peers. 76% of those surveyed between the ages of 18 and 24 voted within the last five years, compared with only 29% of the corresponding U.S. populace. The numbers are even greater in older age groups, with voting levels not falling below 95%, compared with a high of 53% for the corresponding U.S. populace.
58.9% report that they are "very happy" with life, compared with 27.6% for the general U.S. population. 73.2% find life "exciting", compared with 47.3%.

Sounds about right, but look around, if you want more.

You made the comment in a way to imply it was somehow accurate beyond your own opinion. Although your Wiki source seems on the questionable side as well. Given the source of those numbers is a homeschooling website (HSLDA).

I've met a few homeschooled kids back in high school (I graduated in 2010). They were all really awkward socially (they made me look like George Clooney in comparison). Personally, I would never do it, and I'm not too fond of the idea because you are placed in very small bubble.

Good or bad, I feel as though kids have to go out in public and live their lives. You can't shield them from the world because going to school and interacting with other kids and other adults like school faculty are essential for growing up and having the skills needed to survive in the real world.

The ones you encountered were the exception, rather than the rule. One of the biggest lies out there about home school, is that said kids are sheltered/don't socialize and so on. Truth is, 99% of home schoolers are just as sociable and active as you are. I know this, because I was one of em.

Ah okay. They were really strange, so that really shaped my perception of homeschooling. I'm open to hearing more opinions.

Yeah, believe me there are some odd ones out there, but the LARGE majority of home school students are no different than anyone else.

This guy here pretty well tells it straight.

Things like this always have a stigma attached and are pretty much poked fun at in society and entertainment, but you have to do actual research unless you're just looking to make an easy joke about it or something.

They still have social events for home schooled kids. I've seen them part of a group on field trips to the theater.

I'm still on fence about it myself. There was a time I wasn't for it, but I'm really not in the position to make it an option.

The worst part about being home schooled is your high school reunions are really boring.

h1674BEBE

Even though I do not agree with some of the underlying reasons behind some parents choosing this, I admit with the crappy state of public education in North America, I can see the benefits of it.

In some imaginary world where I have a spouse and offspring, if the government gave me the option of giving me a tax rebate so one parent can work less and educate our children at home, I might actually choose to do that.

Ok yeah, i'm not going to do it. I think i'll do the sink or swim method. You know...how you toss a kid into a pool to see if he learns how to swim. That's how i'll be with public school if I have a kid. :p

The ones you encountered were the exception, rather than the rule. One of the biggest lies out there about home school, is that said kids are sheltered/don't socialize and so on. Truth is, 99% of home schoolers are just as sociable and active as you are. I know this, because I was one of em.

I think it depends on the parents. If you let your child go outside and make friends or participate in activities like summer camp they should be adapt to society. Some kids are completely sheltered by overprotective parents. I've seen that. So I don't think homeschooling is fundamentally wrong.

Ok yeah, i'm not going to do it. I think i'll do the sink or swim method. You know...how you toss a kid into a pool to see if he learns how to swim. That's how i'll be with public school if I have a kid. :p

Just make sure the pool has water in it. Because this one time ... never mind. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"