Thoughts on homeschooling

Odin's Lapdog

Avenger
Reaction score
any of you hype member been home schooled?

it seems a little strange for me especially if you are being taught by a parent in a home envirionment.

i suppose it's different or acceptable in my eyes in certain situations such as

• physically unable to get to a school
  • young star on tour

I'm finding it hard to understand other reasons why it would work so i'm wondering if you guys could help shed some light on this for me.

in the uk, I think children are legally obliged to be in a school up until they are 16, although i'm sure that circumstances do occur for young stars or perhaps mentally and physically challenged young pupils but i'm not sure how. Perhaps homeschooling isn't as common since i've never come into contact with anyone who has had that kinda education before.

what are the pros and cons and would you have ever considered it for yourself or will you perhaps for your future kiddies???

I always thought homeschool was for kids with weird christian parents who wanted to protect the kids from the outside world.

I know some people who are homeschooled and most just had parents who don't want them in public school for one reason or another, seems silly. I really think some I chatted with are not getting the full benefits of reguler or private schools

Mentok said:
I always thought homeschool was for kids with weird christian parents who wanted to protect the kids from the outside world.
surely the argument that the early overprotection may lead to more devastating incidents occuring in the future will overall lead to more damage can stand.

i'm not saying homeschooling is wrong but if it's based on those reasons solely then i don't think it adds up personally.

Morg said:
I know some people who are homeschooled and most just had parents who don't want them in public school for one reason or another, seems silly. I really think some I chatted with are not getting the full benefits of reguler or private schools
how could you tell?

Odin's Lapdog said:
how could you tell?

because she really ignorant on some basic stuff most people should know about, seems her parents are not giving her the full course or at least more resticted one.

Homeschooling is wrong. It's a great way for f***ed up, delusional parents to ensure that their offspring will grow up to be just as f***ed up and delusional.

Having been raised in Utah I knew many homeschooled kids. Their parent's motives were always disgusting and all of the kids I still know since we've all grown up are completely screwed up mentally and socially.

if that's the generaly concensus, then why is it openly allowed then?

also how does a student truelly know what direction they wish to take in life if they don't have the proper means exposure to all different subjects at a equal level of expertise?

I was home schooled in high school because I live in a really ****ty school district. It's not because I'm religous, because I'm the biggest ****ing heathen in the world. I would have gone to my public high school if it had been at least a little decent.

how did you find it, do you believe you're 'balanced' if that's the right word to use.

how long were you homeschooled for?

Every home-schooled kid I've met has been really socially awkward. But good at spelling bees.

I was just homeschooled for high school (9-12 grade). I liked it because I got my work done in the morning and had the afternoons free. In my opinion, it isn't needed to go to school 8 hours a day. It could easily be accomplished in 4 hours.

that could be said of any job at any point in life.

but school isn't solely for doing work as strange as that might seem to say.

It may not have been best for my social skills, but I think I did well developing them in grades K-8. I don't think it is good to homeschool a kid for all of thier academic career. That would be very unyhealthy to a kid's social devolpment. They would experience a great culture shock in college, unless they go to a freaky Falwell college.

I would think high school would be the far more crucial social experience as opposed to K-8.

I have been home-schooled since the fourth grade, and I am extremley thankful my mother took that route. Not only was I headed for a horrible school with very, very little funding, but without peer pressure and the other troubles of high school, I was able to develop my own personal tastes, and actually learn some manners. Of course, not every person in high school is like what I say, but many of these kids don't seem to have, nor want, any futures. Who knows how would I have turned out if I had went to public school.

While yes, I had vageuly no social life, my social skills have developed to become just as good, if not better than a student in public school. So, uh...there.:up:

Odin's Lapdog said:
any of you hype member been home schooled?

it seems a little strange for me especially if you are being taught by a parent in a home envirionment.

i suppose it's different or acceptable in my eyes in certain situations such as

• physically unable to get to a school
  • young star on tour

I'm finding it hard to understand other reasons why it would work so i'm wondering if you guys could help shed some light on this for me.

in the uk, I think children are legally obliged to be in a school up until they are 16, although i'm sure that circumstances do occur for young stars or perhaps mentally and physically challenged young pupils but i'm not sure how. Perhaps homeschooling isn't as common since i've never come into contact with anyone who has had that kinda education before.

what are the pros and cons and would you have ever considered it for yourself or will you perhaps for your future kiddies???

Homeschooling is groing in the US, because education has often become less about learning the 3-R's and more about propagandizing students.

To successfully homeschool a child, and many parents have proven themselves very successful at doing so, it requires a lot of organizing and work. Unless you're prepared to do just as much work at home as you are going to do in any job situation, your kids are probably better off in school.

Having said that, if I had kids and found myself able to educate them at home, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Homeschooling is wrong. It's a great way for f***ed up, delusional parents to ensure that their offspring will grow up to be just as f***ed up and delusional.

Having been raised in Utah I knew many homeschooled kids. Their parent's motives were always disgusting and all of the kids I still know since we've all grown up are completely screwed up mentally and socially.

Were they crazy Mormon kids?

is homeschooling the same thing as independent study?

I'd rather be home schooled by a tutor or something. But then again I wouldn't really get out much. So I guess going to school ain't such a bad thing anymore.

why would you rather be homeschooled then, you reckon you'd learn more?

Yeah. Not sure about learning more, but I think it'd be better for me. I get along with people easily, it's just that I enjoy solitude. With a tutor it'd be a lot more direct and I can enjoy the comforts of home.

Mentok said:

Jon Stewart: Ah yes, home schooling, where kids are taught that Jews control the weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"