HOSTILE Over HOSTEL

Fettastic

Civilian
Reaction score
I liked Cabin Fever despite its flaws, but Hostel was just garbage. Its sole redeeming quality is the hot russian chick Natalia.

We spend the entire first hour watching the 3 leads go on a sexual adventure. They are real jerks and we hate them right out of the gate. They treat women like toilets.

It takes FOREVER for anything to happen. There is no effort to create any sort of forboding mood, so it all plays out like a cartoon. I didn't give a crap about any of the characters and the gore (what little there was)was laughable.

A brilliant concept that Roth completely fumbles. He should have taken a hint from Cronenberg's Videodrome and broached the story from the point of view of someone who wants to pay to kill someone rather than the victims.

I agree the movie was garbage but Videodrome and Hostel are two different beasts, Videodrome had deep message at it's core and was filled with symbols and what not. While Hostel was simply trying to be a fun horror movie neither is better or worse except Hostel failed horribly and was garbage. Hostel could of been good if it knew anything about suspense and that pure gore doesn't make a movie, and about decent characters.

Movies205 said:
I agree the movie was garbage but Videodrome and Hostel are two different beasts, Videodrome had deep message at it's core and was filled with symbols and what not. While Hostel was simply trying to be a fun horror movie neither is better or worse except Hostel failed horribly and was garbage. Hostel could of been good if it knew anything about suspense and that pure gore doesn't make a movie, and about decent characters.

I'm just saying that it would have been much more interesting to enter this world from the point of view of the killer, not the victim. This film needed a lot more "horror" in it. The whole first hour is wasted. Hot naked chicks get high marks in my book, but they belonged in a different movie, Road Trip 5 maybe.

The critical praise that Roth recieves bewilders me.

There's actually a letter in this months Fangoria in which he responds to his critics, lashing out that horror films shoudn't have to be politically correct...

...and I don't think that they have to be either...I just think that they should be GOOD...

skorponok said:
The critical praise that Roth recieves bewilders me.

There's actually a letter in this months Fangoria in which he responds to his critics, lashing out that horror films shoudn't have to be politically correct...

...and I don't think that they have to be either...I just think that they should be GOOD...

I think Cabin Fever had some interesting stuff, even if it was mostly a pastiche of other, better films. I got a sense of mood from that film and I didn't get it with Hostel.

Hostel just felt like he was in a hurry to get it done or something because there is no sense of atmosphere at all. If you're going to do a movie like this you have to get creative and take your time. This was shot mostly utilitarian. We got what we needed to understand what was going on, but nothing more.

I completely agree, guys.
I rented Hostel last weekend, oh boy, terrible mistake.
I really don't know why Roth gets so much praise either.
Oh, Cabin Fever was terrible as well, IMO.

i dont like Eli Roth at all. I HATE Cabin Fever and i regrett ever spending my time watching it. Hostel, where i've never actually seen it, judging from the trailers, it looked stupid

Cabin Fever was an ok movie, but I love Hostel. I'm tired of horror movies with the stupid jokes and one liners and tries to scare you with the PG-13 crap like a cat jumping at the last second. I want my horror visceral, violent and unrelenting. I want to leave the theater with a disturbed feel. Hostel was one of the few horror movies to give me the creep in the fact that this stuff actually happens. I'm sick of these Japanese PG-13 "horror" movies that do nothing more than have a little ghost kid do something bad. These types bore the Hell out of me. Gran it Hostel isn't a masterpiece, far from it, but with movies like this and Saw they are bringing back horror the way they are supposed to be. violent and gory!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"