Sequels How about a Beta Ray Bill spin-off?

If Howard The Duck can be introduced then BRB can as well IMO. I personally really like the character, and while I want him to be introduced in a Thor movie, I think he can spin-off into cosmic stuff after that and really become his own thing.

I think they should introduce him in say, Thor 3. If he's received well, then a spinoff would be fine by me. Team him with Sif for a cosmic adventure, maybe throw in Kid Loki if they go that route. But don't call it "Beta Ray Bill", call it "Stormbreaker". That would be great.

I think they should introduce him in a Guardians of the Galaxy sequel, in fact I imagined a scene of his first appearance : in the middle of a battle, we see the sky rumbling with thunder, then someone descends from the sky, they must show him in a way that everybody watching think it's Thor. Then it's Beta Ray Bill. He intervenes and go, just this.

Then, to explore his origins, they can do that in a Thor sequel. Then he can appear in Planet Hulk.

But, no standalone movie for him.

Last edited:
I could see Bill showing up in Thor 4. I feel like 3 is still probably going to be Loki-heavy and probably involve the Enchantress or something. They'll probably save Surtur for Thor 4, and I think Beta Ray Bill could be introduced to help Thor battle the demon.

A solo-movie? Probably not!

But 2017 could be his year!
I hope, that he will appear in GotG 2 - just a short scene, just a few seconds!
And then he should be back for Thor 3 the same year :)

Like to see him in the beginning of the movie, either helping Odin in a battle or battling Thor (on search for maybe Odin) with a tie at the end, because someone else interrupts!

I was never a big fan of Beta Ray Bill, especially, as he beats Thor back then in the comics, but i like to see him anyway!

I would love to see a Beta Ray Bill story set before he ever comes across Thor.

Story:
Beta Ray Bill, grotesque, macabre alien cyborg, is manning his ship Skuttlebutt. Skuttlebutt alerts BRB that there is a strange gravitational anomaly that is threatening their precious cargo (the audience doesn't know it yet, but that cargo is Bill's entire race, hibernating on his ship). BRB, as the guardian of his race, has been designed not to sleep. He vigilantly spends endless hours awake, aware, and alone.
214748-89556-beta-ray-bill_super.jpg
latest

As Bill and and Skuttlebutt try to pull out of the gravitational anomaly, there are flashbacks to Bill on his home planet Korbin, his excruciating transformation into Beta Ray (and, in parallel, the construction of one-of-a-kind ship Skuttlebutt), the destruction of his planet, and the start of his mission. Eventually, Bill and Skuttlebutt are pulled close to a small planet, which turns out to be Ego, the Living Planet! Using a universal translator, Skuttlebutt helps Bill communicate with this sentient planet. They recognize the long suffering of loneliness in one another, and Ego offers to provide a home for the wayward Korbinites.
thor-mighty-simonson-1-spire.jpg

Before Bill releases his race to Ego, however, he investigates the surface of the planet. Bill discovers that there have been other ships marooned here, who were destroyed and their crews consumed by Ego. Ego manipulates his gravitational field to pull nearby ships from their course and onto his surface, where he feeds on their energy to survive. As Bill attempts to flee, he must fight against the planet itself to get back to Skuttlebutt, and once on the ship he must break its gravitational bonds and escape. As he escapes, Bill places a massive explosive charge on the surface of the planet that will change its orbit through space so that it is far from any intergalactic travel routes, condemning Ego to further isolation and loneliness, and possible slow starvation. The story ends as it began, with Bill alone as he travels through the cold expanse of space.
latest

Explanation:
This thread has been long dormant, but it's been on my mind since I recently watched Alien for the first time in decades. (The opening shot of Alien, for those who might not remember, is of a grimy, well used and industrial looking spaceship control room. It is dark and and empty, when the control panel lights up suddenly, and the crew is awakened from stasis.)

That just screamed Beta Ray Bill to me. If I were to introduce BRB into the MCU, the tone and images evoked in that opening sequence would be my inspiration: loneliness and isolation, both for the ship being in empty space and the lone crew member inside the ship. I would love to get a gritty sci-fi film set before he ever meets Thor. BRB's ship Skuttlebutt would be a 'character' much the same way JARVIS was in Iron Man, and Skuttlebutt would not be one of those clean, sterile environments (like some sci-fi movies have), but well used and dirty. I am certain that Marvel would never make a movie like this, but I would love for a BRB film to be like the great sci-fi films that explore deep psychological themes, and that are almost claustrophobic because of the time the characters spend in isolation: Solaris (1972), 2001, Moon, etc.

I know some people hate Beta Ray Bill because he's a Thor-clone character, and I totally get how those types of characters can diminish a hero's uniqueness. However, I personally love BRB, his relationship with Thor, and what BRB's existence highlights about the character of Thor. All that is topic for another thread, though. As for a BRB appearance in the MCU? Set it before he gets Stormbreaker or forms a bromance with Thor. As much as I love the oathbrother relationship the two characters share, BRB is a bad@ss all on his own, which I would love to see explored (it hasn't been explored well in the comics either, IMO). If you've never read BRB's account of his origin, here it is: http://i.imgur.com/xhGNaQx.jpg

While I never expect to see Beta Ray Bill in the MCU (honestly), I would love for the above story to be put on screen. If not in his own feature, I'd love to see elements of that (maybe the lone-voyager aspect, minus the conflict with Ego) in a One-Shot--if those were still being made--or to introduce BRB in another movie, like GOTG or whatever other cosmic movies we get after phase 3. Since there are no human characters in the above story, the whole thing could be CG, which might be cheaper without having to blend it with real environments (I have no idea about that).

FYI: I took some story elements from a BRB story called "World Gone Mad" in Thor Annual # 16. In that story, BRB already has Stormbreaker, and his race has been awakened and travels as an entire fleet. The confrontation with Ego is the real similarity.

Thoughts? (hopefully about this story idea, not about "I hate Beta Ray Bill"... that's cool if that's how you feel, but I think that's been expressed here already).

Last edited:
No to a spin off but he definitely should appear! No idea who could play him though.

Nick frost?

Well after Ragnorak we know he is out there. I hope he appears sooner rather than later, hopefully in a possible Thor 4.

Well after Ragnorak we know he is out there. I hope he appears sooner rather than later, hopefully in a possible Thor 4.

How do we know he's out there. I've seen ragnarok only once so may have missed a nod?

Edit - don't worry, saw the nod.

Last edited:
What do you think of Matt Berry for Beta Ray Bill? I mean, he’s obviously going to have a humorous side especially if he’s working with Taika but Beta is always described as sounding noble

Who's going to give beta ray bill powers and how? What film will he be in and how would his introduction help the storyline? Can't see it sorry chaps.

That’s a good point. Old man Odin is dead.

I suppose peter Dinklage could make the new hammer and they can just say he has powers because he’s an alien. That could work

cool character but I don't see him getting his own movie. at the most I see him getting involved in the Guardians franchise, especially if they can have Thor in a guest role, and maybe he eventually gives stormbreaker to Bill. Yes, in the comics, 'stormbreaker' was a hammer forged for Bill, but in this setting they might as well let it stay as an axe.

That’s a good point. Old man Odin is dead.

I suppose peter Dinklage could make the new hammer and they can just say he has powers because he’s an alien. That could work

He just happens to be as strong as thor? He has lightening powers just like thor? He dresses like thor? And goes to dinklage to get a hammer like thors?

If i was thor i'd be getting a restraining order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"