'Whosoever holds this hammer.....' - spoilers included

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
So Odin now says that Mjolnir was just to focus Thor's power, not the source of it.

So...what does this mean in regards to the previous movies? Was Odin lying when he cast the spell on Mjolnir in the first movie? But how come Thor lost his powers when he couldn't lift the hammer if he always had them anyway? How come Cap managed to lift it slightly? What would have happened if he had done?

Now Mjolnir is gone - does that mean we'll never see Beta Ray Bill?

And do you think Mjolnir will be reforged for the final battle with Thanos?

Mjolnir will be back in IW.

It is just a temporary thing. Thor without mjolnor is Iron man without suit

I always assumed that Odin had merely sealed Thors powers away within Mjolnir temporarily and that when Thor became worthy, his powers returned to him, but I could be wrong...I probably am.

I always assumed that Odin had merely sealed Thors powers away within Mjolnir temporarily and that when Thor became worthy, his powers returned to him, but I could be wrong...I probably am.

No you're basically correct. Odin removed Thor's powers until he was worthy to hold the hammer. Mjolnir is basically just a strong weapon but Thor is strong in his own right and has his own powers that are not tied Mjolnir.

So Odin now says that Mjolnir was just to focus Thor's power, not the source of it.

So...what does this mean in regards to the previous movies? Was Odin lying when he cast the spell on Mjolnir in the first movie? But how come Thor lost his powers when he couldn't lift the hammer if he always had them anyway?

In the first film Odin took Thor's powers and placed them into the hammer, hence the quote "Whosoever holds this hammer, shall be worthy of the power of Thor". Meaning the powers are Thor's to begin with, but for the purpose of teaching Thor humility his power was taken away and placed in Mjolnir.

If the power came from the actual hammer in the first place, Odin would've said "Whosever holds this hammer, shall be worthy of the power of Mjolnir".

Common misconception, the same thing is explained in the comics as well.

Last edited:
In the first film Odin took Thor's powers and PLACED them into the hammer, hence the quote "Whosoever holds this hammer, shall be worthy of the power of Thor". Meaning the powers are Thor's to begin with, but for the purpose of teaching Thor humility his power was taken away and placed in Mjolnir.

If the power came from the actual hammer in the first place, Odin would've said "Whosever holds this hammer, shall be worthy of the power of Mjolnir".

Perfect summary.

In the first film Odin took Thor's powers and PLACED them into the hammer, hence the quote "Whosoever holds this hammer, shall be worthy of the power of Thor". Meaning the powers are Thor's to begin with, but for the purpose of teaching Thor humility his power was taken away and placed in Mjolnir.

Yep, very well said BT.

It's also heavily implied in Ragnarok that Mjolnir originally belonged to Hela, she is seen holding it in a mural painting of her and Odin. I think that Odin took Mjolnir away from Hela when he imprisoned her, put a new enchantment on it and then re-gifted it to Thor later on. It kinda explains how Hela has the power to destroy Mjolnir if it was originally her weapon. I can't help but think that instead of Hela destroying Mjolnir, it would have been pretty cool to see her remove Odin's enchantment from the hammer and start using it as her own weapon again. Imagine seeing a fight scene between them where Mjolnir was used against Thor.

Ragnarok almost draws interesting parallels between Thor and Hela, she is what he could have become if Odin hadn't taught him humility by banishing him to earth without his powers in the first movie. She's egotistical, power mad and completely in love with her own carnage to the point where she almost overthrow Odin's rule. She's also more ruthless and vicious than Thor, but the comparison definitely still remains.

Bloody hell, can't imagine Hela with Mjolnir!

And the hammer is definitely coming back. It's as symoblic as Cap's shield to the MCU as a whole not just to Thor (or Cap).

Bloody hell, can't imagine Hela with Mjolnir!

And the hammer is definitely coming back. It's as symoblic as Cap's shield to the MCU as a whole not just to Thor (or Cap).

Yes those weapons are too attached to their characters.

you know through this movie that odin is an arse trying to cover his sins by putting a facade. Mjolnir is nothing but a power regulator that puts Thor's inner abilities in check. think of it as xavier's mental blocks on jean grey where he limits her power so she dont lose control. odin was afraid of thor getting stronger than him. he is pretty much worse than loki in terms of morality.

you know through this movie that odin is an arse trying to cover his sins by putting a facade. Mjolnir is nothing but a power regulator that puts Thor's inner abilities in check. think of it as xavier's mental blocks on jean grey where he limits her power so she dont lose control. odin was afraid of thor getting stronger than him. he is pretty much worse than loki in terms of morality.

Really

he really is

1) he kills his way to riches and glory

2) slaughters the frost giants and takes the baby to make people see him as a benevolent king

3) pretty much did not care for the baby

4) seals his daughter away and taking her weapon and give to his son

5) not revealing the daughter to his sons

6) takes his son's powers away and misleading him that the power comes form himself, not the hammer.

7) pretends to sleep so his son cannot be crowned as king

8) not letting his children take revenge for his wife's murder.

he is pretty crappy as a person

To quote the great Tien Shinhan "**** power levels"

he really is

2) slaughters the frost giants and takes the baby to make people see him as a benevolent king

6) takes his son's powers away and misleading him that the power comes form himself, not the hammer.

Don't you dare judge the All-Father! :oldrazz:

Regarding Mjolnir, I expect Strange to do his time reversal thing on the wrecked hammer left in Norway.

Regarding Mjolnir, I expect Strange to do his time reversal thing on the wrecked hammer left in Norway.

That might be a good use of time manipulation if we see it from Strange or from the Time Stone. I don't really want to see people brought back from the dead though.

That might be a good use of time manipulation if we see it from Strange or from the Time Stone. I don't really want to see people brought back from the dead though.

They may say it doesn't work on souls...

They may say it doesn't work on souls...

I don't mind what they say to get around it but I don't want them to cheapen the concept of death to that level. We had a few good memorable deaths in CBMs this year and no need to go undoing them.

I don't mind what they say to get around it but I don't want them to cheapen the concept of death to that level. We had a few good memorable deaths in CBMs this year and no need to go undoing them.

I completely agree. If there is some way to bring someone back it has to be a singular occurence (cough, Pietro, cough, please), I imagine they are smart enough not to introduce an universe breaking cheat.

he really is

So Mjolnir is actually a power limiter, it says that in the film?

So Mjolnir is actually a power limiter, it says that in the film?

No, it could be interpreted that way but IMO it's stretching it.
More like a conduit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"