How do you prefer Batman: Dark or Light?

I'd agree.

At the same time, Nolan interjected Bruce with more latent psychological issues than he's usually portrayed with as well.

Not that that's a bad thing necessarily.

I agree.

I'm waiting for someone to say they prefer Batman mulatto.

For those who said "Both," it is impossible to prefer the two things being pitted against each other.

But you can have both.

I mean, I can watch TDK, enjoy it thoroughly, then immediately there after enjoy Brave and the Bold to a similar degree.

Or perhaps there are balanced interpretations that find a middleground between both and blend them together beautifully. You know like the BRONZE AGE or everybody's holy grail BTAS (yes there were elements of lightness throughout this series too) and even the Brave & The Bold (yes there were elements of darkness throughout this series too).

When you say "dark" to me when it comes to Batman I think of the Moench/Jones elseworlds vampire series, Gotham By Gaslight, Arkham Asylum (the graphic novel) or Miller's All-Star and Dark Knight books or Paul Pope's Year 100 and Azzarello's Broken City or Joker. Not BTAS lol.

Last edited:
I like both, while what got me interest in the first place was the Dark Batman, i began to apreciate the lighter version with time

I like both, while what got me interest in the first place was the Dark Batman, i began to apreciate the lighter version with time

I am similar in that regard. I grew up with the Burton films and B:TAS simultaneously, so my preference for Batman tends to be somewhere on the darker end of the spectrum.

What I really like about Nolan's Batman is that he isn't insane. He's just as driven as any other Batman out there, but at the same time, he isn't some tortured soul who's still crying out for mommy and daddy. He's a healthy adult who's dealt with, gotten over, and accepted his parents' deaths, as much as he possibly can. That's how I like my Batman. And he can be "light" or "dark."

Last edited:
Ok, let me be clear. While I do agree that Nolan's "Batman" isn't dark by himself the stories are dark.

Both Batman begins & TDK are dark stories that give light to the story and actors not the special effects like movie like these tend to drift to.

But, Nolan's "Batman" is complex. That alone make for a dark under-tone.

I really enjoy the dark batman. I've always been a fan of twisted characters! I also like that he is the most human superhero. And he kicks butt without having to kill! People fear him, and I respect him. The fact that he is countered with saucy and unkept ladies also allows my imagination to take a whirl. He is not a boyscout like superman. he is a rormented individual with amazing gadgets and a big heart (even though he keeps the soft spots to himself). How could you not like the dark Batman? If you look at him on a lighter note, it's too comical and takes the broodiness out of it until your left with a crazed millionaire who has too much time on his hands.

I became a fan in late 80s by reading comics. There, Batman was a loner without Robin and was solving different crimes and mysteries in each issue, all very dark and sometimes even spooky. So this is MY Batman. Months after I became a fan the 89 movie came out and naturally it was even darker in tone and design than comic books, so naturally my preference goes to lone, dark Batman

But having said that, I enjoy the 60s show as well. I guess it just depends whats fun and what appealing to me. While I enjoy the 60s show, I dislike the Brave and Bold cartoon and Schumacher's movies

I prefer dark too, but the period of time that Batman was without Robin in the 80s was just over a year. From Jason Todd's murder to Tim Drake putting on the costume it was approximately 1 year. And Batman was literally at his lowest point, he was vicious and mean-spirited and they did Year Three to address this. Batman was an a-hole, and not just to crooks. He was an a-hole to Alfred and Nightwing too. It was basically issues 429-442(Drake put on Jason's costume in 442). I always feel like that period is given far more weight and significance for the wrong reasons. It wasn't even 2 years, and it was crafted to specifically show how unhinged Batman can truly become if he's alone, doing what he does, and in deep psychological pain that he isn't allowing to be eased by anyone or anything. It's a good look into what he was before Grayson as well. It certainly gave a clean break from the hokey Robin of the past, but it ushered in a much more mature and darker Robin to fit with a grimmer Batman.

I became a fan in late 80s
Amen

There, Batman was a loner without Robin
Preach, brother

Months after I became a fan the 89 movie came out and naturally it was even darker in tone and design than comic books, so naturally my preference goes to lone, dark Batman
Co-sign.

The character in its very essence is meant to be dark, gritty, pulpy ... darkness. His name is symbolic of a creature of the night, who is frightening and has demonic qualities.

It makes sense. The same way him NOT having a little kid running around with him in bright red and yellow, in underwear and elf boots doesn't make sense either. The character at his purest form is VERY much a loner.

It makes the symbolism of the ONE MAN war on crime, so much more daunting, crazy, and ultimately heroic. Why would he try to risk any innocent child's life in that war, let alone his psychosis is loner-ish in nature.

I guess it just depends whats fun and what appealing to me. While I enjoy the 60s show, I dislike the Brave and Bold cartoon and Schumacher's movies
More agreed.

In my opinion i'd say dark, because even though it has been lightened up in the past, the character is essentially a masked vigilante hellbent on "avenging" his parents death, as long as that storyline is used as the basis for the character it will always be dark in my mind.

it doesnt make sense for batman, a human being fighting super powered villains, wearing tights. the dark armor makes him look bad ass and gives him the intimidation

Were we talking about his armor?

Are we talking about Batman himself, or Gotham and his world in general?

I'd say there has to be some sort of mixture. However, Batman's character in general seems to stay the same no matter what incarnation. In Batman the Brave and the Bold and in the Adam West Batman series he wasn't jolly and smiling and all that. Batman was serious about his job, whereas his surroundings were absurd.

For example we have the Joker. A perfect version of the Joker would be a mixture of clown and killer. As if you lean in one direction (clown) the villain seems harmless, however if you lean in the opposite (killer) than he becomes as boring and one dimensional as Zasz with everyone wondering why he hasn't been killed yet.

You always have to have a balance, you make something too dark and it becomes a joke in itself (remember Dr. Light).

That's a really good point, actually.

I really loved Grant Morrison's comments on the Joker; that his insanity changes with the wind. At one point in his life, he might be a murdering psychopath, at another he's satisfied with just painting Bruce Wayne's mansion pink.

The two extremes between dark and light batman (live incarnations) are Adam West and Michael Keaton. Christian Bale falls somewhere in the middle.

In Batman the Brave and the Bold and in the Adam West Batman series he wasn't jolly and smiling and all that. Batman was serious about his job, whereas his surroundings were absurd.

If you make Batman any lighter than Adam West then it isn't Batman anymore.

For me, the beauty of Batman is that he is connectable to mass audiences either way. With the exception of the Silver Age Batman books, it seems like every version of Batman found a passionate, core, contemporary audience.

Although I know the light Batman is a 'perversion' for those who are passionate about the dark Batman (and vice versa) I think all of these interpretations are valid. It is clear, however, that they connect with different audiences & age groups. Dark Batman sells more movie tickets & comic books. Light Batman sells more toys, accessories, and t-shirts (with 1989 as a notable acception). Thus, we will always have both versions of Batman.

Ten years ago, I was passionate about ONLY Dark Batman. Now I have 2 small boys. As my love for Batman spills into their world, I am finding the value & mythological power of Light Batman.

For me, I like my Batman very dark, like virtually a bad guy.
I like my Batman to be ruthless, carless towards the villians, to have no sympathy or compassion towards them, to beat the whole cheese out of the villians.

But hey, thats just me haha

I will say that I don't hate a lighter Batman, I mean I love Forever/B&R, I think they are amazing films, and its crazy that Batman can work as both a pitch-black dark character, and then 5 years later, he could be a light hearted hero, and they both worked and made sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"